The Audio Lounge
Feb 6, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #5,357 of 36,020
I’ve just shown him, he said “I’m not wearing them with a big L & R on em” then I showed him the mod. He then gave me the “maybe look” I think this is going to be a hard sell. Maybe I’ve bitten off more than I can chew, trying to help a 16 year old choose headphones. He just told me he wants to them to be portable also and definitely not b...s which is plus in my book. Thanks Karenar, keep em coming

I can't vouch for whether or not this is a legitimate listing or not, but the JVC HA-S500 is an awesome supra-aural for the money. 6 or 7 years ago I paid over twice as much for a pair and had to import them using Tenso remailing service. So, If this is a legit listing, they're worth every penny and then some.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FWB9XW/

JVC was one of the first to use Carbon NanoTubes in their IEMs and headphones and IMHO they revolutionized what could be expected from sub $100 cans. I still use these headphones today and never feel like i'm listening to "old tech".

If I wasn't saving every penny for a pair of M1060C's I'd probably order a spare pair of these.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #5,358 of 36,020
I can't vouch for whether or not this is a legitimate listing or not, but the JVC HA-S500 is an awesome supra-aural for the money. 6 or 7 years ago I paid over twice as much for a pair and had to import them using Tenso remailing service. So, If this is a legit listing, they're worth every penny and then some.

JVC was one of the first to use Carbon NanoTubes in their IEMs and headphones and IMHO they revolutionized what could be expected from sub $100 cans. I still use these headphones today and never feel like i'm listening to "old tech".

If I wasn't saving every penny for a pair of M1060C's I'd probably order a spare pair of these.
That might just be what he’s looking for, especially at that price. Also the added bonus of not looking like a pair of plums hanging over his head(his words not mine) I’m still chuckling over that comment :joy:
Thanks for the tip, I’ll show him when he’s home. Fingers crossed, cheers

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #5,359 of 36,020

One would hope they are legit. Several sellers around that price point, many with very good seller ratings spread over lots of ratings. Plus, they are actually probably being sent from Japan given the combo info of Japan import in the title and the delivery times being longer than stateside shipping times. Even expedited shipping quotes as showing up in about a week and a half while standard free shipping gives a delivery window from the bottom of this month to next month.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #5,360 of 36,020
So after a few days with the IMR R1:

The good:
  • The sound is what I was expecting from the Icarus IV. A fun, full, wide sound that fits perfectly with the type of music I listen to. More to follow.
  • Comfort in ear is much better than I expected. The weight of the IEM itself is pretty good, I was expecting weightier.
  • Look is great. Love the open-back feature, reduces ear fatigue for me (Less tinnitus reaction)
The bad:
  • These are a little harder to drive than the U8's or the PM6. I'm a little confused at how it's underpowered on my V30 as opposed to the other two. Will have to mess around with that to see what's happening.
  • I really, REALLY do not like the cable. :\ The shrink around it is too bouncy, it doesn't hook behind my ears properly and drives me nuts. I'm gonna attempt to flex the cable so it hooks better. Otherwise, I'm gonna try ear hooks, but I might end up looking for a replacement if it doesn't improve. At least it doesn't communicate vibrations too much.
  • Driver flex?? I put it in my ear and I hear a slight crunch. Not as bad as other cheaper models, but it's there. Anyone else notice this?
In my opinion, needing loads of juice is not a bad point at all. We who are ready to spend more than 500 for an IEM know we sometimes need to use an external amp or an amp module.
I had the driver flex happening once or twice in over two weeks of use.
The real bad point is, in my experience, the thick cable that is used. Bob told me he had to choose such a cable to maintain the high standard he was aiming at, and knowing cables usually are what would break first, chose for a thick one. I must admit I have been looking for an aftermaket 2 pin cable that would be compatible with the 90 degree positioning of the IMR-R1, but I’ve found a way to use the standard cable.
SE ultimately works fine with me, but I am not convinced with the balanced connection, as I much prefer what I am hearing/listening to in SE.
Am I the only one preferring SE over balanced with the R1?

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #5,361 of 36,020
That might just be what he’s looking for, especially at that price. Also the added bonus of not looking like a pair of plums hanging over his head(his words not mine) I’m still chuckling over that comment :joy:
Thanks for the tip, I’ll show him when he’s home. Fingers crossed, cheers

Another bonus is that the Sennheiser HD25 pads fit perfectly on them. The stock pads are a little uncomfortable for people like me with big ears, but the HD25 pleathers were perfect for me.

Here's the big big thread from the wayback machine: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-jvc-ha-s500-thread.621063/

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #5,362 of 36,020
In my opinion, needing loads of juice is not a bad point at all. We who are ready to spend more than 500 for an IEM know we sometimes need to use an external amp or an amp module.
The real bad point is, in my experience, the thick cable that is used. Bob told me he had to choose such a cable to maintain the high standard he was aiming at, and knowing cables usually are what would break first, chose for a thick one. I must admit I have been looking for an aftermaket 2 pin cable that would be compatible with the 90 degree positioning of the IMR-R1, but I’ve found a way to use the standard cable.
SE ultimately works fine with me, but I am not convinced with the balanced connection, as I much prefer what I am hearing/listening to in SE.

While I agree that it's not necessarily a bad point, it is a bad point for me. My goal was mostly to avoid carrying extra bulk with me, so adding an amp to power my headphones is a hindrance more than anything else. I'll probably find a way around it (Like using my Get BT amp), but I was really expecting these to at least drive at the same level as the U8's. Not a MAJOR gripe, but a gripe to me nonetheless. If I could find a way to set my v30 to high gain, might do the job. Issue is it only triggers on high impedance gear, no software switch.

Non-surprisingly, the cable for the PM6 is a good fit for the R1's, but the cable is insanely flimsy as opposed to the U8 or the R1's cable. So I wouldn't bother using it, even though it's a more comfortable cable. How are you using the standard cable? I had to force flex the tip (Which I personally don't like doing) just to get it to stay behind my ear.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #5,363 of 36,020
While I agree that it's not necessarily a bad point, it is a bad point for me. My goal was mostly to avoid carrying extra bulk with me, so adding an amp to power my headphones is a hindrance more than anything else. I'll probably find a way around it (Like using my Get BT amp), but I was really expecting these to at least drive at the same level as the U8's. Not a MAJOR gripe, but a gripe to me nonetheless. If I could find a way to set my v30 to high gain, might do the job. Issue is it only triggers on high impedance gear, no software switch.

Non-surprisingly, the cable for the PM6 is a good fit for the R1's, but the cable is insanely flimsy as opposed to the U8 or the R1's cable. So I wouldn't bother using it, even though it's a more comfortable cable. How are you using the standard cable? I had to force flex the tip (Which I personally don't like doing) just to get it to stay behind my ear.
I am using it plugged in the earphone on one end, and in the source at the other one :wink:
Like I usually do, I rest the shell on my ear, guide the cable around it, straighten the cable, plug it in the source and then, lifting the upper part of my ear, I am pushing the shell in my ear in order to achieve a seal

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #5,365 of 36,020
Your first statement is very familiar to everyone who's owned a Havi B3 Pro 1 :D

Opting for a thicker cable does have its downsides. If you're looking to have something 2-pin and braided, I know for sure that Empire Ears will happily strip their cable of the memory wiring if you ask them to; I did it with mine after the original Linum BaX cable gave out because I don't like memory wire for both guiding and comfort reasons. A good braided cable shouldn't need memory wire IMO. Not sure how to rate the strength of cabling, but I would say it feels sturdier than the standard cables that came with the Hunter (which are probably very similar to the ones that came with the PM6?). After a long while (I've had these cables now for a couple years), they start to have a little bit of memory character, but really not much at all. Just enough to have a familiar over-ear guide shape near the connectors. Been very happy with them.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #5,366 of 36,020
@Karendar, if you google LG V30 high gain trick, I'm sure you'll find some work arounds out there to put your phone into high gain for the R1's.

I know of the trick, it's just zero practical unless you have root and I have no way of rooting this phone. I find it odd that they didn't give a trigger choice, considering it's a simple XML config file to configure high gain.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #5,367 of 36,020
Tracking data says my iSine10s have been delivered......*sigh*, six and a half more hours until I get home :p. At least in the meantime, I've got my Pinnacle P2s. MEEAudio nailed these....well, almost. The stock cable's total crap, but the earphones themselves are fantastic. The cabling on the iSine is going to feel weird to me; I haven't worn in-ears with cabling straight down in nearly 6 years :D

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #5,368 of 36,020
I know of the trick, it's just zero practical unless you have root and I have no way of rooting this phone. I find it odd that they didn't give a trigger choice, considering it's a simple XML config file to configure high gain.

I read at the XDA forums that if you plug one of THESE up to your phone, then plug in THIS, it triggers high gain. Then you remove just the impedance adapter, leaving the 3.5mm extension in place, and plug in your IEMs. Apparently that tricks the phone to stay in high gain.

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #5,369 of 36,020

I read at the XDA forums that if you plug one of THESE up to your phone, then plug in THIS, it triggers high gain. Then you remove just the impedance adapter, leaving the 3.5mm extension in place, and plug in your IEMs. Apparently that tricks the phone to stay in high gain.

Karendar - I find that if you use the neck cinch on the R1cable and tighten it up to just under your neck, it helps keep the cable in order.

Also, if you have one of the Trinity right angled adapters, if you plug that in to the V30 first then play some music, then plug in the R1, the adapter should trick the phone into "Aux" mode, which is effectively medium gain. Not used the R1 much with my V30, but that's a fairly painless technique if you already have one of the old TA right angled adapters lagging about.

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #5,370 of 36,020

Yeah, that's the non-practical trick I was talking about :D

The trick goes with the theory that the adapter sets detected impedance to the adapter you plug into it. So if I have a 75 ohm adapter and the high impedance is triggered at 50 ohm, you've have 25 ohm gain. So having multiple adapter sets to get different gain levels is required. It's quite impractical to me as opposed to a software triggered switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back