The Audio Lounge
Jun 13, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #17,386 of 36,138
Yep, that was the one I was looking at. The B4-X has a balanced output. Not sure how well that will work from a SE input...I remember @KEV G talking about the ALO Dual Mono but that's out of my price range. I love ALO's stuff. Have also been considering the Rx as well as Headamp's Pico Power (which I had).

I don't know how THIS ONE would work for you with 4.4mm in and out but I've seen some good things about it.

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #17,387 of 36,138
I don't know how THIS ONE would work for you with 4.4mm in and out but I've seen some good things about it.

That one looks interesting, thanks. I'll look into it more...

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #17,388 of 36,138
I'm updated on my R3 and BT is fine, weird. Can you factory reset? Also, I completely agree, who the hell needs ebooks and a step counter on their DAP? Lol.

I've tried, but no change at all.
If I try to connect the R3 to my Denon avr: connection error
If I got a BT connection: Error:-13

HiBy Link doesn't work with my Honor 5X, the R3 is only useable as dac.
Turn it on: no connection possible
Turn it off: R3 turns into dac mode

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #17,389 of 36,138
I've tried, but no change at all.
If I try to connect the R3 to my Denon avr: connection error
If I got a BT connection: Error:-13

HiBy Link doesn't work with my Honor 5X, the R3 is only useable as dac.
Turn it on: no connection possible
Turn it off: R3 turns into dac mode

Have you tried the hard reset process from Hiby themselves?

Erase all data and factory reset:

1. Press the power key to shut down first.
2. First, hold down the volume+ key, and then press the Power key again to boot. Wait for the robot interface to appear.
3. In the robot interface, press and hold the Power key with the volume+ together. Go to the drop-down menu and select wipe data/factory Reset.

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #17,390 of 36,138
Have you tried the hard reset process from Hiby themselves?

Erase all data and factory reset:

1. Press the power key to shut down first.
2. First, hold down the volume+ key, and then press the Power key again to boot. Wait for the robot interface to appear.
3. In the robot interface, press and hold the Power key with the volume+ together. Go to the drop-down menu and select wipe data/factory Reset.

Shure, if I try this the R3 runs straight into the update modus, the 3. step shuts down the R3

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #17,392 of 36,138
Shure, if I try this the R3 runs straight into the update modus, the 3. step shuts down the R3

I found this in the Hiby R3 thread, maybe it will help:

1. Turn off the R3
2. Download the firmware using a different micro SD card
3. Insert the micro SD and press volume up+power button
4. Wait for the update to complete.
5. It should then reboot and go back to "Hiby Music Make Music More Musical" and you should be able to access the menu.

Another post said that before you reinsert your original Micro SD card back into the R3, plug it into your PC and remove the R3.upt file from the card.

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #17,393 of 36,138
Yep, that was the one I was looking at. The B4-X has a balanced output. Not sure how well that will work from a SE input...I remember @KEV G talking about the ALO Dual Mono but that's out of my price range. I love ALO's stuff. Have also been considering the Rx as well as Headamp's Pico Power (which I had).

The B4-X has a Single-Ended Input, and both Single-Ended (3.5mm TRS) and Balanced (2.5mm TRRS) outputs.
It sounds good as stock, but even better when I swapped out the op-amps.
I've currently got a pair of OPA1622 op-amps in mine (the Tubes act as preamps (voltage gain), and the op-amps drive the load (providing plenty of output current)).
Using a set of OPA627AU op-amps also sounds really good, but they cost more than the B4-X.
There are Two Things about the B4-X that I find annoying -
1.) There can be chirps in the audio, from nearby RF - like Bluetooth, WiFi, and Cellular radios.
2.) It can not be charged and operated at the same time - when the charger is plugged in, the amplifier circuit shuts off.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #17,394 of 36,138
I had a really nice portable tube amp back in the day (ALO Conti v3, I think) and sold it off. I am looking for something similar and cannot find anything in the mid-tier price range. Found a couple on amazon but they seem sort of cheap. Any suggestions? Anyone have something that gives them that warm tube sound from a portable? Just kicking around ideas...
What are you wanting to spend?

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #17,395 of 36,138
I found this in the Hiby R3 thread, maybe it will help:

1. Turn off the R3
2. Download the firmware using a different micro SD card
3. Insert the micro SD and press volume up+power button
4. Wait for the update to complete.
5. It should then reboot and go back to "Hiby Music Make Music More Musical" and you should be able to access the menu.

Another post said that before you reinsert your original Micro SD card back into the R3, plug it into your PC and remove the R3.upt file from the card.

That's how I did the fw update to 3.2 :wink:

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #17,397 of 36,138
Updating the fw of my R3 to 3.2 and now BT is unusable...
Downgrading the fw again ends in a boot loop, after turning on BT.
Sometimes...
Why the hell the implement things like ebook and stepcounter, things no one rly need in a dap. :angry:
/rant

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Bear-Dual-Mono-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07KJ18H75/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=little+bear+b4-x&qid=1560427368&s=gateway&sr=8-1

@DBaldock9 & @jerick70 use this one, iirc
For $99 this is an excellent tube amp. There are issues with the amp though. @DBaldock9 already described these. The interference issue I've fixed with a iFi IEMATCH.

Jun 13, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #17,399 of 36,138
What are you wanting to spend?

I'm not sure. Maybe 500-700 at the outside. I am kind of kicking tires to see what I can see. I had larger visions (like selling my desktop system and going to higher end portables) but that may never come true...

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #17,400 of 36,138
I'm not sure. Maybe 500-700 at the outside. I am kind of kicking tires to see what I can see. I had larger visions (like selling my desktop system and going to higher end portables) but that may never come true...
A couple of options I can't think of... In that price range, the ALO Continental V5 and the Fostex HP-V1. I've owned both of these and the HP-V1 was my favorite by far. I kick myself because I sold it ever time I think about it. It may be difficult to find a HP-V1 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back