The Audio Lounge
Jun 13, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #17,402 of 36,081
Yeah, I was looking for used Conti (any version) and they are hard to come by. I was even entertaining looking to Analog Squared Paper but those can be really expensive as it's almost like a custom build. Not unhappy with my schiit gear, just doesn't see a lot of use lately...

Guess I have to do some sitting and evaluating where I'd like to go. Nothing a couple cold beers and some good tunes couldn't help with...

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #17,403 of 36,081
Yeah, I was looking for used Conti (any version) and they are hard to come by. I was even entertaining looking to Analog Squared Paper but those can be really expensive as it's almost like a custom build. Not unhappy with my schiit gear, just doesn't see a lot of use lately...

Guess I have to do some sitting and evaluating where I'd like to go. Nothing a couple cold beers and some good tunes couldn't help with...

Maybe you just need some time with your home setup to remember the love, lol. When my S4 made my ears sore yesterday I went to my desktop setup that hadn't been seeing enough use due to DAPs and IEMs lately. It made me realize I have to keep a desktop system, it's still just too good. There is a synergy between my modded M1060s and my Emotiva A100 that I can't go without. Its funny, I've had more expensive/supposedly better items and I still go back.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #17,404 of 36,081
You are right. Every time I sit and listen to my Ethers through my desktop, it's magical. I am planning some alone time this weekend to help me sort it out.

The other thing I was thinking was selling off ALL my DAPs and getting just one high-end piece (one DAP to rule them all). Can 1 really do it all? Not sure I want to try to find out...maybe?

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #17,405 of 36,081

I ended up tracking down a used iBasso PB2 (Single-Ended / Balanced Input; Single-Ended / Balanced Output), here on Head-Fi.
It's pretty versatile, with sockets for single or dual op-amps, and sockets for single buffers.
I don't really care for having to use a Hirose-to-2.5mm adapter cable, so I've bought some 2.5mm TRRS panel-mount jacks, that will fit the same hole as the Hirose connectors.
Need to do a bit of cleanup of my workbench (it's my dining table...), to setup my new soldering station, so I can do the mods on the PB2, and other DAPs / Amps.

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #17,406 of 36,081
You are right. Every time I sit and listen to my Ethers through my desktop, it's magical. I am planning some alone time this weekend to help me sort it out.

The other thing I was thinking was selling off ALL my DAPs and getting just one high-end piece (one DAP to rule them all). Can 1 really do it all? Not sure I want to try to find out...maybe?
What I've done with my desktop setup is added a tube amp and preamp and this has made me really happy. I'm not even looking at anything else. That's a big accomplishment for me:ksc75smile:

I wasn't really satisfied with my DAP before I purchased the N6ii. The N6ii is quite the DAP. Paired with the S8F and the R1 Z it is wow.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #17,407 of 36,081
I probably have sad this before but my desktop is comprised of a MacBook Pro>Schiit Bimby>Schiit Lyr 2. A simple system that is just wonderful in its sound.

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #17,408 of 36,081
N6ii is here, sounds great to me. Currently streaming Qobuz in great quality OTG which was goal #1.

20190613_182513.jpg

Jun 13, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #17,410 of 36,081

Did you look at a used Woo WA8? Cool little tube amp/dac. I really enjoyed my WA7 and WA5 when I had them.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #17,411 of 36,081
I've never really "enjoyed" the sound of the Shure SE846. I've always found it a bit rolled off on the top end. Not with the Cayin N6ii, balanced, they sound amazing together, great synergy.

I'm using the blue filters with the foam removed, I think its call the Trishd mod.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #17,412 of 36,081
I've never really "enjoyed" the sound of the Shure SE846. I've always found it a bit rolled off on the top end. Not with the Cayin N6ii, balanced, they sound amazing together, great synergy.

I'm using the blue filters with the foam removed, I think its call the Trishd mod.
The N6ii seems to work wonders for kit that was only so so before. This happened to my S8F, but the S8F wasn't so so it was much better but the 7k spike was intolerable for me. I put my S8F up for sale but I think I'm going to pull the ad and keep them. I love how detailed the S8F is with the N6ii.

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #17,413 of 36,081
The N6ii seems to work wonders for kit that was only so so before. This happened to my S8F, but the S8F wasn't so so is was much better but the 7k spike was intolerable for me. I put my S8F up for sale but I think I'm going to pull the ad and keep them. I love how detailed the S8F is with the N6ii.

Exactly what I've found with the 846 too, I was going to sell it too. The Bass is simply phenomenal, its turning out to be a great purchase so far, lets hope this continues, endgame DAP, definitely (for this month anyway :) ).

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #17,414 of 36,081
N6ii is here, sounds great to me. Currently streaming Qobuz in great quality OTG which was goal #1.

Congrats dude I may end up getting one..... Bad news is the rui are giving me earache the nozzles are just too wide for my ears looks like another sale... Damn shame as they are stellar.
I'm not buying anymore iems unless I try first at canjam

Jun 13, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #17,415 of 36,081
Exactly what I've found with the 846 too, I was going to sell it too. The Bass is simply phenomenal, its turning out to be a great purchase so far, lets hope this continues, endgame DAP, definitely (for this month anyway :) ).
I don't know I've been through many DAPs in the past and I've never been so happy with a piece of kit like the N6ii. The thing that is going to really make the N6ii a phenomenal buy is the audio boards that are coming out. You basically get a brand new TOTL DAP for much less than a new unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back