The human ear's frequency response
Apr 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Markon101

100+ Head-Fier
I found an interesting web page showing the way our ears shape the sounds we hear.
 http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~bsapplec/frequenc.htm

EQ can be used to make up for those curves, most manufactures already pre calibrate there headphones to make up for this. For example, 

The only problem is that everyones hearing is a bit different, thus making it difficult to create a perfectly flat sound. 

(Flat isn't always better anyway, everyone likes different things.) 

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 9
What would be really interesting is to overlay different headphones response over the linked ones.

You posted the freq response of the K240 Mk II.  I really like these guys, and I consider them having a much more balanced presentation than any of the K501/K601/K701/702 !!

I think they are a very underrated can 'round these parts. 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 9
the sonys look like they would sound super dark....

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 9
where is the none button on the poll? 

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 9
I'm a bit of a smiley curve kind of guy.  I like my punchy bass and sparkly treble.  I really appreciate mids too, and they need to be there, but they can be a bit recessed (I'd still want them full bodied and detailed)  About the only difference it makes to me is having them appear a bit further away from me, the listener.

I listened to the highly appreciated HD650 in a store, and even though it's got very nice bass and lush mids, I found its lack of treble to be a severe turn-off.  The songs just didn't have the sparkle in them.

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I'm a bit of a smiley curve kind of guy.  I like my punchy bass and sparkly treble.  I really appreciate mids too, and they need to be there, but they can be a bit recessed (I'd still want them full bodied and detailed)  About the only difference it makes to me is having them appear a bit further away from me, the listener.

I listened to the highly appreciated HD650 in a store, and even though it's got very nice bass and lush mids, I found its lack of treble to be a severe turn-off.  The songs just didn't have the sparkle in them.

Try the 600's then.  I didn't like them, I like the 650's a lot more, but the 600's are brighter than the 650's.

Yeah, didn't like the V6/7506's at all.  "Cold" is a very good way of describing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back