The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Oct 14, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #4,561 of 6,859
hey,

idsd bl -> usb a female -> micro usb -> micro usb to usb c adapter which comes with samsung s8 -> hiby r3 usb c port. this setup doesn't work. I use exactly the same usb a female to micro usb cable while I was using with A&K AK70 except micro usb to usb c adapter. Yes, I see coax on r3 on the left corner but no sound after all. do you guys guess what's wrong?

Did you choose "Audio" under USB mode in System settings?

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #4,562 of 6,859
hey,

idsd bl -> usb a female -> micro usb -> micro usb to usb c adapter which comes with samsung s8 -> hiby r3 usb c port. this setup doesn't work. I use exactly the same usb a female to micro usb cable while I was using with A&K AK70 except micro usb to usb c adapter. Yes, I see coax on r3 on the left corner but no sound after all. do you guys guess what's wrong?

I used usb female to usb c without adapter and it worked fine. Hiby r 3 shouldn’t show coax icon instead it should show usb simple
Make sure your usb mode set to audio if that doesn’t work change your adapter or cable

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #4,563 of 6,859
hey,

The micro usb to usb c adapter that comes with the Samsung Galaxy S8 does not support OTG which is required for the R3 USB Audio Output.

Oct 14, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #4,564 of 6,859
Oct 14, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #4,565 of 6,859
You dont need to do that.

True. I just thought it may be something to try as setting the USB mode to Audio would then use the R3 as a DAC only is that correct... although that feature is really something for use with a PC? I find when using the FiiO CL06 micro USB to USB-C cable the sound is not good at all. A bit-perfect signal output would be ideal IMO where the R3 gives the volume control to the amp/dac with no alterations to the source. :triportsad:

Oct 14, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,566 of 6,859
True. I just thought it may be something to try as setting the USB mode to Audio would then use the R3 as a DAC only is that correct... although that feature is really something for use with a PC? I find when using the FiiO CL06 micro USB to USB-C cable the sound is not good at all. A bit-perfect signal output would be ideal IMO where the R3 gives the volume control to the amp/dac with no alterations to the source. :triportsad:
Yes its only for using the R3 as a DAC with a PC. With the new FW the usb out sound has degraded and a few people have confirmed this. I think this is FW 1.1.6
They have implemented it such that DSP and Volume remain active while using USB out, while this is perhaps not the industry standard some people do like it.. Im not one of them.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #4,567 of 6,859
I reiterate, it is not good at all for the USB audio output to be fixed volume these days, what with so many USB audio devices such as USB headphones and USB-3.5mm adapter dongles not having their own volume control at all.

If you turned off all DSP and set the volume to 100% it will also be bit-perfect. Not to mention that with 24 bits of digital output bit depth to the USB audio and no DAC on earth having 24 effective bits of SNR, nothing is lost from the digital volume control at all. If I were still with HiBy I would be loathe to receive reports of the USB output blasting people's ears off without recourse just because some people *thought* the USB output would become better with no volume control.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #4,568 of 6,859
Too many cable adapters - signals get lost and both devices can't detect presence of the other device.

Find a USB A male - USB C OTG cable - there lots and lots of them and try again to see if you get sound.

In my case to connect R3 ( USB C ) to Samsung phone ( micro USB ) I haf used (micro USB male -> USB A male) + ( USB A female -> USB C male OTG ) cable combination, did not work.

Then used ( micro USB male -> USB C male OTG ) cable, it works. This cable came with LG HiFi Plus module, then I purchased Fiio LC06 cable and it works too.

hey,

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #4,569 of 6,859
I reiterate, it is not good at all for the USB audio output to be fixed volume these days, what with so many USB audio devices such as USB headphones and USB-3.5mm adapter dongles not having their own volume control at all.

If you turned off all DSP and set the volume to 100% it will also be bit-perfect. Not to mention that with 24 bits of digital output bit depth to the USB audio and no DAC on earth having 24 effective bits of SNR, nothing is lost from the digital volume control at all. If I were still with HiBy I would be loathe to receive reports of the USB output blasting people's ears off without recourse just because some people *thought* the USB output would become better with no volume control.
Volume control is really not the issue here. What seems to be the problem is even at Full volume the output is not satisfactorily loud.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #4,570 of 6,859
Volume control is really not the issue here. What seems to be the problem is even at Full volume the output is not satisfactorily loud.

To add to this, I have been thinking about getting the Shanling L2 cable to use instead of the FiiO CL06 cable I have now because IMO it just doesn’t sound good with this combo for the R3 and Q1 Mark 2 (even at volume 100 and no EQ). From what others have said reading back over this thread, the Shanling L2 cable eliminates the volume issue as the signal is not affected by the R3’s volume control.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #4,571 of 6,859
To add to this, I have been thinking about getting the Shanling L2 cable to use instead of the FiiO CL06 cable I have now because IMO it just doesn’t sound good with this combo for the R3 and Q1 Mark 2 (even at volume 100 and no EQ). From what others have said reading back over this thread, the Shanling L2 cable eliminates the volume issue as the signal is not affected by the R3’s volume control.
I suspect the new FW did more than we can fathom. I reiterate and reckon its not a volume issue therefore the L2 cable will only do so much.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #4,572 of 6,859
Has anyone tried to link their r3 / r6 to their phone for constant internet via some kind of tether ?
I want to know if that works because if it does I might actually get the r6 instead of the lgv40 I was looking at.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #4,575 of 6,859
I will be very interested in your opinion, once you try the L2 cable compared to the CL06...
I do not have either, BTW, but want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back