The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #3,181 of 6,859
Hi guys,

Backer number 12xx got his R3 in Europe.

I like it a lot though I do have some issues:
- non of my album cover works, I tried cover.jpg cover.png folder.jpg and folder.png without any success.
- the wifi doesn't work neither, tried 2.4 and 5ghz, also different hotspots but it always shows "Connection failed"
- some lags
Beside those points it's a hell of a device and I'm very happy.

Thanks Hiby !
So what do you do with a buggy player from China. Try to sell it or just write it off as bad luck.

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #3,183 of 6,859
I hope to find a fix for those cons but either way I'm not gonna sell it, I've been waiting forever for this little piece of hardware
I'll wait for the case I also ordered, check for firmware upgrades and put it up for sale. I can't stand poor craftsmanship in any product. Electronics either work or they don't and this thing don't. I'd send it back but it would probably cost too much. Best to buy this stuff locally and make sure they have a good return policy.

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #3,184 of 6,859
Thanks so much! I still like my v20, and am pleased with the sound overall. I do like lots of detail and sparkle, but dont mind some kicking bass either. The P1/v20 combo can be a bit too harsh at times, and i wouldnt mind more bass (although i hate muddy thumpy, love very deep fast impact). Really would still like a dedicated music player, as i also use my phone a lot for calls and work stuff - and would probably be better to get my 25k songs off of it to make it run faster! :wink: The v20 was intended as my stop-gap while waiting on the Pro-X dap though, as i originally also had Note7 as my phone :frowning2:
So, still considering a player, but as you say, maybe i could wait for the next version.
My main concerns with R3 would be 1)enough power to drive P1
2)sound balanced or able to eq to taste
3)quality of bluetooth
I also use Bluewave Get with v20, both having aptx HD, so don't want lesser sq--know there is hope for the sony codec, but is that for sure, and also need that for a receiver.
4)able to sort/play LOTS of files. As i said, i have around 7-10k CDs ripped to flac, plus probably as many albums as mp3 downloads. So hoping at least a 400gb card filled with music can work.
I dont really stream music. But like all of my card to be able to sort/random play from.
Thanks again for the help! Really like size, screen, features of r3.. Seems very close to my liking. :wink:

I have a V20 that I recently rooted, did the high impotence mode mod and installed Viper4Android. The idea was to use it mostly as a dedicated DAP with streaming abilities. With viper I can easily EQ for as many of my headphones as I like and save them.

If you have ALOT of music files there may be an issue with the R3. A Hiby based DAP have a limit of 15,000 songs. It's sounds like this could be an issue for you. I'm not sure if this is the case with the R3, but it as with my Shangling M1 and M2s.

I so just got a nice iBasso DX150 witch I believe is a superior and more resolving DAP. But I'm honestly happy using either the DX150 or e V20.

Muy V20 with Viper4Android does have some advantages though.
1. The V20's EQ using Viper4Android works with Spotify. The DX150 EQ only applies to the music player. (I wonder if Viper4Android can be installed on the iBasso?).
2. The V20'S is MUCH thinner and ready to carry on a pocket.
3. The V20'S removable battery means I can use it for many years to come. I also have a large 10,000 mAh battery if I needed LOTS of runtime.

Since my V20 is a spare phone it makes an ideal large screen DAP with streaming capabilities, in a slim form factor.

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,185 of 6,859
- non of my album cover works, I tried cover.jpg cover.png folder.jpg and folder.png without any success.
- the wifi doesn't work neither, tried 2.4 and 5ghz, also different hotspots but it always shows "Connection failed"
- some lags
Beside those points it's a hell of a device and I'm very happy.

Embedding the cover in individual files works for me. Not sure if there are limits (my previous player wanted things under 500px by 500px & under a certain filesize, so lot of my files are already like that). Not had any trouble with the wi-fi either, so it's probably just a case of getting the settings right.

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,186 of 6,859
Hmm... Seems the opinions of the sound quality from this device varies quite a bit. Perhaps pairing mismatch? Anyone tried this dap with an Andromeda or other non-Vega Campfire IEM? The R3 will be my first DAP since the iPod era. I've been using a Mojo and Dragonfly Red with my iPhone for mobility and really want to get rid of the need to use an external portable amp.

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,187 of 6,859
I have a V20 that I recently rooted, did the high impotence mode mod and installed Viper4Android. The idea was to use it mostly as a dedicated DAP with streaming abilities. With viper I can easily EQ for as many of my headphones as I like and save them.

If you have ALOT of music files there may be an issue with the R3. A Hiby based DAP have a limit of 15,000 songs. It's sounds like this could be an issue for you. I'm not sure if this is the case with the R3, but it as with my Shangling M1 and M2s.

I so just got a nice iBasso DX150 witch I believe is a superior and more resolving DAP. But I'm honestly happy using either the DX150 or e V20.

Muy V20 with Viper4Android does have some advantages though.
1. The V20's EQ using Viper4Android works with Spotify. The DX150 EQ only applies to the music player. (I wonder if Viper4Android can be installed on the iBasso?).
2. The V20'S is MUCH thinner and ready to carry on a pocket.
3. The V20'S removable battery means I can use it for many years to come. I also have a large 10,000 mAh battery if I needed LOTS of runtime.

Since my V20 is a spare phone it makes an ideal large screen DAP with streaming capabilities, in a slim form factor.
If the R3 can only accept 15000 songs why did the advertising claim the device could handle 2T of memory. Must be really big song files.

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #3,188 of 6,859
Received my R3 today, very happy with it so far except for the tidal popup showing up randomly, this defintely needs to be fixed.

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,189 of 6,859
If the R3 can only accept 15000 songs why did the advertising claim the device could handle 2T of memory. Must be really big song files.
Like I said I'm not sure if this applies to the R3, but it does to other Hiby app based players. So it's something to look into. I don't have nearly that much music, do it's a non-issue for me.

But to answer your question:
1. Because it technically accept 2TB cards.
2. If you have a large High Res/DSD collection you might need LOTS of storage.
3. 2TB cards don't exist anyway.

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #3,190 of 6,859
Embedding the cover in individual files works for me. Not sure if there are limits (my previous player wanted things under 500px by 500px & under a certain filesize, so lot of my files are already like that). Not had any trouble with the wi-fi either, so it's probably just a case of getting the settings right.
That's a bummer for the covers, they should find a fix, not acceptable
Tried every possible settings for the wifi and still couldn't make it work, might be problematic for future updates

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #3,191 of 6,859
That's a bummer for the covers, they should find a fix, not acceptable
Tried every possible settings for the wifi and still couldn't make it work, might be problematic for future updates

What firmware are you running? You can go to the first page and download the latest firmware and put it in the root file of micro sd card and update that way.

Unless you’re on 1.09 already.

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #3,193 of 6,859
400gb card no issues with cover art 1200+ tracks, 15000 songs is around 1200 cds (what's you problem!!!!!!!) plug in a 2TB ssd works fine (thought its a bit battery hungry) if you need more space. No WiFi problems with BT hub 5, work WiFi or Scotrail trains WiFi. Give it 50 hours of use it gets less treble harsh and opens up. Sounds good with iems many times the price of the R3 even with no eq.:)

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #3,194 of 6,859
Very haunting.

Yes it is & maybe because I’m really into this series & as soon as the episode starts I’m into it so that scene where he’s listening to that piece being played on that glass instrument I was captivated, very powerful & beautiful.

Love to be able to go to a concert in a small venue with great acoustics & hear that live, I love that piece & his other compositions, great talent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back