The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #5,671 of 6,859
Does anybody have stability issues with 3.3 firmware?

After updating to that firmware, I very often have spontaneously reboots :astonished:
Same here. IMHO 3.1 and 3.2 are more stable.

Jul 19, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #5,672 of 6,859
Not having any issues as long as I stick to the appropriate Bluetooth Codec (SBC in my case). Seems earlier firmware was pretty forgiving if you didn't set the right codec for your Bluetooth devices, now get the wrong one & it's likely to reboot or not play. Only reboots I get are *very* occasional & usually when altering the volume repeatedly, via the button

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #5,673 of 6,859
you should not have to remember to select codec first, hiby messed up after fw 3.1. Leave it on ldac is the best option, and let it select the best option.

Question is can or will they fix it, or is the uat codec implementation behind the issue.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #5,674 of 6,859
I really want to buy one of these, but the big thing holding me back is that, as far as I know, you can't save multiple custom EQs.

Is that still the case?

Like I want one setting for my car, one for my earbuds, one for my noise-canceling headphones, etc. And the ability to quickly switch between them.

I'm currently using an Onkyo DP-X1A, and it does a great job at this, but it's getting kind of old and probably on the verge of dying.

A more affordable alternative like the R3 would be great, but only if it can give me multiple custom EQs.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #5,675 of 6,859
Actually, I'm surprised I never thought of it before, but I could use the Onkyo app on this player.

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on this later.

Edit: also, it looks like you can overwrite the EQ presets in the Hiby player, if I'm seeing correctly. And it remembers the settings. I didn't expect that. Most players seem to have EQ presets that can't be adjusted.

So I guess there's really no reason to not buy this thing!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #5,676 of 6,859
Actually, I'm surprised I never thought of it before, but I could use the Onkyo app on this player.

Maybe I'll pull the trigger on this later.

Edit: also, it looks like you can overwrite the EQ presets in the Hiby player, if I'm seeing correctly. And it remembers the settings. I didn't expect that. Most players seem to have EQ presets that can't be adjusted.

So I guess there's really no reason to not buy this thing!

Have you tried the mage sound eight ball on the r3 also

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #5,678 of 6,859
I just placed the order about an hour ago, but I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun playing around with it when it comes next week!
It may just allow you to tweak exactly what you want in the settings :wink:

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #5,680 of 6,859
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 21, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #5,681 of 6,859
Just got this R3 but I want to use it with my DNLA server but it does not look it is possible the same way I am able to do on the R6 no DNLA player on the R3!

Jul 22, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #5,682 of 6,859
Just got this R3 but I want to use it with my DNLA server but it does not look it is possible the same way I am able to do on the R6 no DNLA player on the R3!
With its DLNA switch on, the R3 will play music that a DLNA server pushes to it on the WiFi it is connected to. But you can't actively select and play music from the DLNA server on the R3 like you can on the R6, no.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 22, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #5,683 of 6,859
With its DLNA switch on, the R3 will play music that a DLNA server pushes to it on the WiFi it is connected to. But you can't actively select and play music from the DLNA server on the R3 like you can on the R6, no.
I succeed more or less to play one or two tracks with bubbleupnp but this is a major pain since I am not able to browse my server from the R3 I really wish the firmware got an update to include a DNLA controller and in this case the unit would be almost perfect for my use.

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #5,685 of 6,859
Just upped for this unit, after a sad run with another dap. So far so good.
Still dealing with the aftermath of so many years of being tethered to iTunes though. Anyone’s best recommendation for a music handling program/app/ whatever to support getting in line with current times.?
Thanks in advance of course...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back