The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #4,788 of 6,859
Hi. I bought Hiby r3 and was disappointed its sound. It haves too much bass and narrow stage. In my opinion even Shanling m1 have more wide stage. Now I am going to sell R3 and buy Hidizs Ap80. What do you think? Is it a good idea or mistake?

Were you listening from the balanced output?

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #4,789 of 6,859
For those wondering, the DAC chip in the R3 is really alot better than the one in the M0. Also, to get the best out of the R3 you need to be listening through the balanced output.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #4,792 of 6,859
so do your think R3 as an sonic upgrade over smartphone+usb dacs?

Absolutely ahead of most smartphones, but the R3 is miles behind with the interface compared to any modern smartphone (iOS or Android). The user experience is very clunky. I mostly just use the R3 as a DNLA endpoint attached to the Mojo - although the balanced out sounds very good with IEMs or sensitive full on headphones. The ESS Sabre 9028 DAC that the R3 uses is very highly regarded and used in more than a few high end DAPs and stand alone DACs.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #4,796 of 6,859
2.5 balanced output much more different with 3.5 output?
Is it ok if i use a 3.5 to 2.5 with my SE headphones :D

Straight answer: NO
Balanced output is carrying a signal on both wires that go to one earpiece, a positive and a negative wave.
So you have a L+ and L- wave, and a R+ and R- wave

Unbalanced output has only one signal to each earpiece, and a common 0, the ground cable.
So L+, R+ and 0

You need headphones or earphones with a balanced cable.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #4,797 of 6,859
Straight answer: NO
Balanced output is carrying a signal on both wires that go to one earpiece, a positive and a negative wave.
So you have a L+ and L- wave, and a R+ and R- wave

Unbalanced output has only one signal to each earpiece, and a common 0, the ground cable.
So L+, R+ and 0

You need headphones or earphones with a balanced cable.

Thank you! I'm looking for some 2.5 balanced cable of Fiio :D

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #4,799 of 6,859
Please do not do that. You will damage the player.

Do a search here and you’ll see you need a balanced cable. Or your existing headphone cable reterminated as balanced.

If I already have a balanced headphone and I want to use a converter jack to use with normal 3.5 output of my phone or my DAP, is it ok?
Does sound quality still better?

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #4,800 of 6,859
If I already have a balanced headphone and I want to use a converter jack to use with normal 3.5 output of my phone or my DAP, is it ok?
Does sound quality still better?

YES, that is OK. You can connect a balanced headphone/eraphone cable to either balanced or unbalanced outputs, but not the other way around.
You will not gain the benefit of a balanced signal, but the cable may sound different. Those differences are small though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back