The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 15, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #6,602 of 6,859
Can anyone share their experience with Tidal an the Pro Saber? Does it work well?

Tidal works just fine. The only negative is that the interface is not as full featured as the normal Android app so searching and discovery can be a pain. Also, you have to log in again every single darn day (using a different device) which is an even worse pain...

May 29, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #6,603 of 6,859
Have the R3PS is buying the RU6 , lotoo paw s2 or L&P w2 a significant upgrade to scale my mest Og ?

I dont think my R3PS is doing justice to my mest OG. I’ve heard them the other day with the sony zx707 and it felt so much better!

Thank you

May 29, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #6,604 of 6,859
Have the R3PS is buying the RU6 , lotoo paw s2 or L&P w2 a significant upgrade to scale my mest Og ?

I dont think my R3PS is doing justice to my mest OG. I’ve heard them the other day with the sony zx707 and it felt so much better!

Thank you
Here is a link to reviews/ratings of many dongles (according to the reviewer's listening taste/ability). https://andyaudiovault.com/dongle-reviews/ You may find it useful. Of those three the W2 is in his "second tier", while the other two are in his top tier. You can click on each and open up his full review for more info. I would expect all 3 to offer somewhat better sound that the R3PS, but expect them to use up the R3PS's battery faster.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #6,608 of 6,859
It has been about three days since I received the Hiby R3II player. As a supporter of office HiFi, I believe this entry-level player has certain advantages in terms of scenarios and usage.

Firstly, the Hiby R3II can completely replace Bluetooth headphone amplifiers in its price range. Although the official internal configuration of the device has not been explicitly stated, there are speculations that it may feature dual 9219C DAC chips.

In terms of appearance, compared to the R3 Pro, the Hiby R3II retains the same screen size and resolution, but adds a side light to display the sampling rate. The volume knob has returned with defined notches and resistance. The TF card slot has been moved to the right side and comes with a dust cover. Moreover, the original 2.5mm balanced interface has been replaced with the more commonly used 4.4mm interface.

After using the Hiby R3II for three days, I’ve realized that I hardly need to use Bluetooth anymore. Hiby OS has undergone iterative improvements, and its DLNA and AirPlay functions are very mature. You can simply set up a hotspot on your phone, connect the R3II to it, and directly stream music from apps like youtube Music or apple Music. The connection is stable, with almost no disconnections or malfunctions. In this mode, the R3II acts as a network bridge while your phone serves as the controller.

When paired with the Hiby Music app, the R3II can even stream local files from your phone. Most of the time, you only need to use the volume knob to adjust the sound, without having to take the player out of your pocket.

In terms of sound quality, the streaming mode is noticeably better than the Bluetooth mode. The only regret is that only certain playback software supports this streaming feature, although there are many options available. Platforms like Spotify and Tidal require their respective apps for playback, and while Hiby OS includes Tidal and Qobuz clients, it has yet to include Spotify, which holds a 30% market share in the global streaming industry. It’s unclear why this support is still missing, considering that even smartwatches have the ability to locally cache Spotify music. Nevertheless, Hiby Music app is considered one of the best in terms of supporting the Android ecosystem on smaller screens.

Regarding the 3.5mm and 4.4mm jacks, there is no significant difference in sound character, only variations in driving power and overall quality. Through testing, it has been found that the 4.4mm output has sufficient power to drive most portable over-ear headphones, indicating that it can handle a wide range of dynamic drivers and planar magnetic headphones. In terms of resolution, the 4.4mm output provides a sense of transparency with better horizontal presentation, while maintaining a relatively neutral sound signature. However, in terms of objective quality, I personally believe that the R3 Pro has more advantages, but in terms of driving power, the R3II 4.4mm output is superior.

Since I rarely use the headphone output directly in my usage scenario, I won’t delve into it further.

One of the scenarios I frequently use is connecting the player to a headphone amplifier in the office. After connecting the headphone amplifier, I compared the R3II with the recently released R6 Pro 2 from Hiby. There is a noticeable difference between the R3II’s 3.5mm output and the R6 Pro 2, mainly due to the lower voltage output of the R3II. It remains to be seen if this will be improved through firmware updates. However, when using the 4.4mm balanced output, the difference between the two devices is further narrowed, to the point where it becomes more of a stylistic distinction. The overall sound framework does not differ significantly.

Surprisingly, when I compared the R3II and R6 Pro 2 as a transport with coaxial SPDIF output to an external DAC, there was actually not much difference. Even through careful A/B testing, it was difficult to perceive significant distinctions, and in some instances, I even found the R3II’s sound to be cleaner.

In conclusion, after several days of use and testing, I believe the Hiby R3II is highly suitable as a companion device. You can simply plug in your headphones when you leave home and connect it to a headphone amplifier or DAC in the office for a seamless music playback experience. Additionally, it can be used as a storage device to manage your daily music files. In terms of headphone driving capability, it is at least on par with many Bluetooth headphone amplifiers in its price range.
微信图片_20230829150642.jpg

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #6,609 of 6,859
It has been about three days since I received the Hiby R3II player. As a supporter of office HiFi, I believe this entry-level player has certain advantages in terms of scenarios and usage.

Firstly, the Hiby R3II can completely replace Bluetooth headphone amplifiers in its price range. Although the official internal configuration of the device has not been explicitly stated, there are speculations that it may feature dual 9219C DAC chips.

In terms of appearance, compared to the R3 Pro, the Hiby R3II retains the same screen size and resolution, but adds a side light to display the sampling rate. The volume knob has returned with defined notches and resistance. The TF card slot has been moved to the right side and comes with a dust cover. Moreover, the original 2.5mm balanced interface has been replaced with the more commonly used 4.4mm interface.

After using the Hiby R3II for three days, I’ve realized that I hardly need to use Bluetooth anymore. Hiby OS has undergone iterative improvements, and its DLNA and AirPlay functions are very mature. You can simply set up a hotspot on your phone, connect the R3II to it, and directly stream music from apps like youtube Music or apple Music. The connection is stable, with almost no disconnections or malfunctions. In this mode, the R3II acts as a network bridge while your phone serves as the controller.

When paired with the Hiby Music app, the R3II can even stream local files from your phone. Most of the time, you only need to use the volume knob to adjust the sound, without having to take the player out of your pocket.

In terms of sound quality, the streaming mode is noticeably better than the Bluetooth mode. The only regret is that only certain playback software supports this streaming feature, although there are many options available. Platforms like Spotify and Tidal require their respective apps for playback, and while Hiby OS includes Tidal and Qobuz clients, it has yet to include Spotify, which holds a 30% market share in the global streaming industry. It’s unclear why this support is still missing, considering that even smartwatches have the ability to locally cache Spotify music. Nevertheless, Hiby Music app is considered one of the best in terms of supporting the Android ecosystem on smaller screens.

Regarding the 3.5mm and 4.4mm jacks, there is no significant difference in sound character, only variations in driving power and overall quality. Through testing, it has been found that the 4.4mm output has sufficient power to drive most portable over-ear headphones, indicating that it can handle a wide range of dynamic drivers and planar magnetic headphones. In terms of resolution, the 4.4mm output provides a sense of transparency with better horizontal presentation, while maintaining a relatively neutral sound signature. However, in terms of objective quality, I personally believe that the R3 Pro has more advantages, but in terms of driving power, the R3II 4.4mm output is superior.

Since I rarely use the headphone output directly in my usage scenario, I won’t delve into it further.

One of the scenarios I frequently use is connecting the player to a headphone amplifier in the office. After connecting the headphone amplifier, I compared the R3II with the recently released R6 Pro 2 from Hiby. There is a noticeable difference between the R3II’s 3.5mm output and the R6 Pro 2, mainly due to the lower voltage output of the R3II. It remains to be seen if this will be improved through firmware updates. However, when using the 4.4mm balanced output, the difference between the two devices is further narrowed, to the point where it becomes more of a stylistic distinction. The overall sound framework does not differ significantly.

Surprisingly, when I compared the R3II and R6 Pro 2 as a transport with coaxial SPDIF output to an external DAC, there was actually not much difference. Even through careful A/B testing, it was difficult to perceive significant distinctions, and in some instances, I even found the R3II’s sound to be cleaner.

In conclusion, after several days of use and testing, I believe the Hiby R3II is highly suitable as a companion device. You can simply plug in your headphones when you leave home and connect it to a headphone amplifier or DAC in the office for a seamless music playback experience. Additionally, it can be used as a storage device to manage your daily music files. In terms of headphone driving capability, it is at least on par with many Bluetooth headphone amplifiers in its price range.微信图片_20230829150642.jpg

In conclusion, after several days of use and testing, I believe the Hiby R3II is highly suitable as a companion device. You can simply plug in your headphones when you leave home and connect it to a headphone amplifier or DAC in the office for a seamless music playback experience. Additionally, it can be used as a storage device to manage your daily music files. In terms of headphone driving capability, it is at least on par with many Bluetooth headphone amplifiers in its price range.微信图片_20230829150642.jpg

Aug 29, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #6,611 of 6,859

"You can simply set up a hotspot on your phone, connect the R3II to it, and directly stream music from apps like youtube Music or apple Music. The connection is stable, with almost no disconnections or malfunctions. In this mode, the R3II acts as a network bridge while your phone serves as the controller."

Can you give more details on this please? I am not familiar with this functionality on a DAP.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #6,612 of 6,859
"You can simply set up a hotspot on your phone, connect the R3II to it, and directly stream music from apps like youtube Music or apple Music. The connection is stable, with almost no disconnections or malfunctions. In this mode, the R3II acts as a network bridge while your phone serves as the controller."

Can you give more details on this please? I am not familiar with this functionality on a DAP.
Don’t want to answer for @rlw6534 (BTW, very good overview of the R3-II)….

I use this feature quite often with my R2-II and R3-Pro: Hiby DAPs, and other DAPs with HiBy Music, have WiFI Airplay and DLNA renderers modes. We tend to think about these features for home WFi and they do work, allowing you to cast whatever you want to your DAP. But, if you turn on the WIFi hotspot on your phone and connect the DAP to the hotspot, the Airplay and DLNA are visible to your phone and you can cast your music to the DAP.
The benefit vs. Bluetooth? A WiFi looseless connection…

I have an iPhone and the hotspot/Airplay mode works fine with my R2 and R3. But, unlike DLNA, it won’t let me use MSEB or the EQ :slight_frown:

At home, I use the R2-II connected to WiFi, with DLNA on, as digital transport feeding a Topping G5. With LMS (music server), I could not make DLNA work in looseless mode and had to settle on 320kps mp3. So this can be finicky!

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #6,613 of 6,859
Don’t want to answer for @rlw6534 (BTW, very good overview of the R3-II)….

I use this feature quite often with my R2-II and R3-Pro: Hiby DAPs, and other DAPs with HiBy Music, have WiFI Airplay and DLNA renderers modes. We tend to think about these features for home WFi and they do work, allowing you to cast whatever you want to your DAP. But, if you turn on the WIFi hotspot on your phone and connect the DAP to the hotspot, the Airplay and DLNA are visible to your phone and you can cast your music to the DAP.
The benefit vs. Bluetooth? A WiFi looseless connection…

I have an iPhone and the hotspot/Airplay mode works fine with my R2 and R3. But, unlike DLNA, it won’t let me use MSEB or the EQ :slight_frown:

At home, I use the R2-II connected to WiFi, with DLNA on, as digital transport feeding a Topping G5. With LMS (music server), I could not make DLNA work in looseless mode and had to settle on 320kps mp3. So this can be finicky!

OK, I'm familiar with Airplay and DLNA, but this sounded like something different involving a hotspot. Neither Airplay or DLNA require a hotspot to work.

Interestingly, I have also tried LMS2UPNP to stream Roon to my R3 Pro and was never able to get it to work. I never tried to force mp3 - not sure I know how...

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #6,614 of 6,859
OK, I'm familiar with Airplay and DLNA, but this sounded like something different involving a hotspot. Neither Airplay or DLNA require a hotspot to work.

Interestingly, I have also tried LMS2UPNP to stream Roon to my R3 Pro and was never able to get it to work. I never tried to force mp3 - not sure I know how...
No but when you're out and about the R3 can do Airplay and DLNA from a smartphone even when a hotspot from the same smartphone is the only WiFi available. That's what he means.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 29, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #6,615 of 6,859
No but when you're out and about the R3 can do Airplay and DLNA from a smartphone even when a hotspot from the same smartphone is the only WiFi available. That's what he means.

Well, Airplay has peer-to-peer and DLNA has wifi-direct, neither of which requires a "network". I thought maybe this was what he meant and I was hoping for guidance on how to set up... admittedly this is new territory for me so I may not understand correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back