The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #6,391 of 6,859

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P_20210608_135159.jpg
    P_20210608_135159.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P_20210608_131732.jpg
    P_20210608_131732.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #6,393 of 6,859
Don’t both of the players have defined sound signatures? I was wondering if Saber would increase the shouty-ness of the JVC FDX1.
Yes but, and remember I don't actually own the R3 Pro Saber, the differences between the various DAC chipsets is usually very subtle. The sound signature is 90% down to other factors like implementation, impedance matching between source and device and load sensitivity.

IMHO the overall signature of a specific pairing is mostly affected by the IEM, I doubt the FDX1 will be noticeably more bright with the R3 Pro Saber if its already a bright IEM for you when used with other sources.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #6,394 of 6,859
Hi guys,

As the proud owner of one of the HiBy R3 Pro (not Sabre) that I bought and received a few days ago, I must say that I am quite happy with the deivce.
The display is large enough for my big paws... sorry hands.
Features are nice : ability to be use as autonomous player, as a USB DAC, as a Bluetooth emitter and maybe as a bluetooth receiver, but have not tested that last feature so far.
Also outpower of the amp is enough for my headphones (HifiMan DEVA and Oppo PM-1).

The only concern is sound quality, as I think it's not that good, but of course, I usually listen to music with an AUNE stack with dedicated player, dedicated DAC and dedicated Class A Amplifier, so comparison is not really fair :wink:

What I would like to ask here is following. When used as a USB DAC, should it display the bitrate and sample rate accurately ? Because even if I feed it with 16/44, it display 24/44. If I feed it with 24/96, it displays 24/48.
Is that a wrong report of the player ? Is there a limitation in the sample rate that can be used as USB DAC or is it my source (Linux computer with stupid PulseAudio) that is given numbers ?

Thanks a lot for your answers. Maybe there's an answer already, but honestly... did not want to read 426 pages to find out :wink:

Regards.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #6,395 of 6,859
Hi guys,

As the proud owner of one of the HiBy R3 Pro (not Sabre) that I bought and received a few days ago, I must say that I am quite happy with the deivce.
The display is large enough for my big paws... sorry hands.
Features are nice : ability to be use as autonomous player, as a USB DAC, as a Bluetooth emitter and maybe as a bluetooth receiver, but have not tested that last feature so far.
Also outpower of the amp is enough for my headphones (HifiMan DEVA and Oppo PM-1).

The only concern is sound quality, as I think it's not that good, but of course, I usually listen to music with an AUNE stack with dedicated player, dedicated DAC and dedicated Class A Amplifier, so comparison is not really fair :wink:

What I would like to ask here is following. When used as a USB DAC, should it display the bitrate and sample rate accurately ? Because even if I feed it with 16/44, it display 24/44. If I feed it with 24/96, it displays 24/48.
Is that a wrong report of the player ? Is there a limitation in the sample rate that can be used as USB DAC or is it my source (Linux computer with stupid PulseAudio) that is given numbers ?

Thanks a lot for your answers. Maybe there's an answer already, but honestly... did not want to read 426 pages to find out :wink:

Regards.
That's strange, could it be your file(s) or the app you are using, did you install drivers?

Excuse the poor phone pic.

20210611_065732.jpg

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #6,399 of 6,859
Hi,

Thanks a lot.

So the 24/44 is normal even if 16//44 is played. That is OK.

Now, the reason as to why I get 24/48 and not 24/96 or 24/192 ? Probably messy Linux sound management :frowning2:

Thanks a lot for your time.

Regards.
yeh in linux you'll always get 24/### unless you use pure alsa. most linux uses either pulseaudio or pipewire (with pulse)

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #6,400 of 6,859
Hi,

Switched the player to go from Sayonara to gmusicborwser.
In gmusicbrowser I've selected alsa and R3PRO as output with forced alsa (to bypass PulseAudio completely).
Now, I always get 24 as bitrate, but sample rate now displays as it should : so 96khz when I have 96khz :)
Good, I now know what is the output on this machine...

And I can confirm what I wrote earlier.
This is a convenient device.
But talking about sound quality, I am now so used to the sound of the DAC/Class-A headphone amp that I am disappointed.
Of course, not the same budget, not the same features, not the same portability... But not at all the same result :frowning2:

Regards.

FRED

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #6,401 of 6,859
Guys, would the Hiby R3 Pro Saber be okay with the JVC FDX1 IEMs which are very "shouty", as people say, or would the normal R3 Pro be better? I don't want it to add to the shouty aspect.
If by shouty you mean the upper mids hump (relative to flat, if not the Harman target), setting "female vocals" on "detox" on the onboard Magesound 8-ball (MSEB) will definitely help.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 18, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #6,402 of 6,859
Hi guys,

It looks like the Hiby R3 Pro SHOULD support NTFS micro SD cards.

Me, I cannot get the micro SD card formatted into NTFS to be recognized. It scans for music and finds none. Or simply says "NO SD CARD".

Anyone else getting the same problems with NTFS ?
Anyone lucky with ext4 ? After all, I assume HiBy OS is based on Android so it should support ext4 should it notr ?

Regards.

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #6,403 of 6,859
Hi guys,

It looks like the Hiby R3 Pro SHOULD support NTFS micro SD cards.

Me, I cannot get the micro SD card formatted into NTFS to be recognized. It scans for music and finds none. Or simply says "NO SD CARD".

Anyone else getting the same problems with NTFS ?
Anyone lucky with ext4 ? After all, I assume HiBy OS is based on Android so it should support ext4 should it notr ?

Regards.
nah only exfat/fat32 is supported i believe

Jun 18, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #6,404 of 6,859
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried NTFS again and... it works.

The thing is, you have to disconnect the device so it refreshes the database.
AND : you have to be careful. Because when using NTFS the system may put a lot of DATA in cache before it is actually copied to the SD Card, so it you eject it too soon, no DATA on SD card which then may appear corrupted.

Regards.

Jun 18, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #6,405 of 6,859
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried NTFS again and... it works.

The thing is, you have to disconnect the device so it refreshes the database.
AND : you have to be careful. Because when using NTFS the system may put a lot of DATA in cache before it is actually copied to the SD Card, so it you eject it too soon, no DATA on SD card which then may appear corrupted.

Regards.
nice! i'm sticking to exfat until i have a reason to upgrade my card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back