The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 22, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #1,652 of 6,859
Unfortunatels it wioll not have Tidal offline from the start as this was not licensed now.
And as Tidals future is unclear, i won't put too much on tidal at the moment.

HiBy said they are planning to include the Tidal offline feature later.. but there will be reasons, why they did not..
I obviously put too much faith in the promises that "we're working on Tidal offline", or "it may come later".

I suspect we'll never see Tidal offline on the R3. And imagine if Tidal goes under a month after launch?! I hate to be a glass-virtually-empty kind of a person, but I regret my Kickstarter pledge on this one. I fear the R3 is just going to end up being a larger, bulkier version of the Shanling M0.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,653 of 6,859
I obviously put too much faith in the promises that "we're working on Tidal offline", or "it may come later".

I suspect we'll never see Tidal offline on the R3. And imagine if Tidal goes under a month after launch?! I hate to be a glass-virtually-empty kind of a person, but I regret my Kickstarter pledge on this one. I fear the R3 is just going to end up being a larger, bulkier version of the Shanling M0.

Not to forget, a Shanling M0 with a gorgeous touch screen, Mage8Ball and a better chipset.
Luckily I a more optimistic. This waiting period after a purchase is really tough though, and the rumors around a key feature like Tidal are of course really unfortunate.
But even if Tidal is in trouble, it will not just vanish but rather be sold and relaunched properly.

Looking forward to getting my R3 :L3000:

May 22, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,654 of 6,859
I personally don't care about streaming services, I just want a nice, small, not too expensive DAP with a good interface to replace my AP200, and the R3 seems to fit the bill.

That said, if people backed the campaign in part because of things that were said would be a part of the device, and some of those things are now in question, I can understand the worry.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,655 of 6,859
I know there are lots of people who want Tidal, I don't subscribe, not going to pay for it (and it looks like that may be a good thing). But I understand if that was one of some people's big drivers for backing.

For myself, it's about the small footprint, the balanced out, the touchscreen, and a lot of the other features. I know HiBy is talking about adding things as they can, so will have faith that they will do what they can. Until I hold it in my hand and can test everything out, I won't have second thoughts about the R3, and I can't wait to get mine!

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,656 of 6,859
Not to forget, a Shanling M0 with a gorgeous touch screen, Mage8Ball and a better chipset.
The M0 uses the same ES9218p DAC that's in the V30. (Quad DAC pipeline.) My expectation is that the M0 should sound better.

For sure, the balanced output is nice for those of us that have 2.5 mm TRRS plugs on our headphones, but there are proper balanced outputs and then there are 2.5 mm outputs that merely give a little more output power. (BTW, the single-ended output on my Hugo 2 still sounds better than any balanced output device I've yet heard.)

I don't want to drag you folks down my with R3 pessimism. I was banking on offline Tidal, and without that, the device is really of no use to me. I don't need yet another DAP that plays only from local storage. Probably best if I unsubscribe at this point. I hope you folks enjoy the R3...

May 22, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,657 of 6,859
I know there are lots of people who want Tidal, I don't subscribe, not going to pay for it (and it looks like that may be a good thing). But I understand if that was one of some people's big drivers for backing.

For myself, it's about the small footprint, the balanced out, the touchscreen, and a lot of the other features. I know HiBy is talking about adding things as they can, so will have faith that they will do what they can. Until I hold it in my hand and can test everything out, I won't have second thoughts about the R3, and I can't wait to get mine!

Yes, I think it was because Tidal that I first spotted Hiby R3. I have a Tidal Hifi subscribtion and like that very much. However, I use Roon at home, and I play a mix of Tidal and own CDs. I hardly notice what is what because of the structure of Roon. If Tidal off-line is not incorporated anyway, I would miss about half of my CD-collection.

But now, that I know more about Hiby, I think I would get it anyway, if I had to choose today.

May 22, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,659 of 6,859
Important notice

It has just come to my attention that developments in IP rights disputes between TIDAL, record companies and China have made it so that TIDAL cannot legally be used in China. As such, firmware updates to Chinese edition R3's will NEVER include TIDAL, nor any future streaming clients falling in the same kind of situation, and there will be measures to prevent the cross-flashing of Chinese edition R3's with international firmware--this despite any claims to the otherwise I may have made in public or in private. :triportsad:

Sorry guys. :triportsad:

Obvious Note: The R3's shipping to Kickstarter backers are of course the international edition... :)

@CactusPete23 can you pin this to the OP for me?

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 22, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #1,660 of 6,859
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 22, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,661 of 6,859
Important notice

It has just come to my attention that developments in IP rights disputes between TIDAL, record companies and China have made it so that TIDAL cannot legally be used in China. As such, firmware updates to Chinese edition R3's will NEVER include TIDAL, nor any future streaming clients falling in the same kind of situation, and there will be measures to prevent the cross-flashing of Chinese edition R3's with international firmware--this despite any claims to the otherwise I may have made in public or in private. :triportsad:

That's a pity, thanks for explaining.

Do you have any information to share on LDAC or on whether the leather cases will ship on time with the first wave of Kickstarter R3s?

Thanks @Joe Bloggs!

May 22, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #1,662 of 6,859
Important notice

Are the backed sold Kickstarters R3 Chinese Editions?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,663 of 6,859
Luckily I a more optimistic. This waiting period after a purchase is really tough though, and the rumors around a key feature like Tidal are of course really unfortunate.
But even if Tidal is in trouble, it will not just vanish but rather be sold and relaunched properly.

@ surfgeorge:

I agree with you on that, someone with deep pockets needs to buy Tidal & do it properly without the current [inept/scam?] owners running it...

May 22, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,664 of 6,859
I personally don't care about streaming services, I just want a nice, small, not too expensive DAP with a good interface to replace my AP200, and the R3 seems to fit the bill.

That said, if people backed the campaign in part because of things that were said would be a part of the device, and some of those things are now in question, I can understand the worry.

@ wiski: Agreed, same here...

May 22, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,665 of 6,859

I do unfortunately have to confirm you guys' fears that TIDAL offline will be called off. :triportsad: For our partner's sake I won't describe the how or why of it. Let's just say it wasn't for want of us being willing to pay or program for it. TIDAL ONLINE will of course be available, as it has been for weeks now in-house.

The good news is that we have been given the go-ahead to integrate clients for at least two other streaming services into the R3. Given the existing work done for our first client (TIDAL) adding these clients won't take long :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back