The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #1,112 of 6,859
Yeah, with the KS campaign down to 4 days remaining, I'm guessing a number of folks are deciding whether to pull their pledges if they don't get some confirmation that the "awaiting certification" bits are actually going to ever be implemented. LDAC, offline Tidal, and MQA are all in the category of "awaiting certification," while other streaming services are seemingly in a separate "maybe working on it" category, and AptX HD is in the category of "people keep asking but Hiby isn't replying."

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #1,113 of 6,859
Yeah, with the KS campaign down to 4 days remaining, I'm guessing a number of folks are deciding whether to pull their pledges if they don't get some confirmation that the "awaiting certification" bits are actually going to ever be implemented. LDAC, offline Tidal, and MQA are all in the category of "awaiting certification," while other streaming services are seemingly in a separate "maybe working on it" category, and AptX HD is in the category of "people keep asking but Hiby isn't replying."

Hmm maybe at this point I should Hiby's reply to my KS message (they didn't reply my public comment but I think this info is nothing secret). Hiby said that APTX-HD is off the cards. I kept asking as this didn't need "consultation with the team". Qualcomm states that only specific bluetooth chips can implement APTX HD, so if you didn't use one of those chips, bingo. R3 didn't use one of those chips.

From here onwards it is ONLY my personal view, please feel free to share your views! I think LDAC will definitely work out. Sony has actually been pushing super hard for people to support it e.g. support in the base Android Oreo OS regardless of device. So I think there won't be any disappointment, it's literally just that certification hasn't completed. Sony has an interest for LDAC to compete with Qualcomm. So personally the APTX-HD may not be a deal-breaker, just make sure your devices use LDAC as it isn't a bad codec at all (some even say better than APTXHD but I haven't had to privilege to test this out). MQA also is one that isn't difficult to implement and is being pushed hard by its creators so I think it isn't an issue.

For offline Tidal it really depends on how Hiby and Tidal can get the APIs optimised as even Android DAPs have had some bugs running offline smoothly. For Spotify, I'm actually quite pessimistic. There is a rumoured interface/design refresh and I don't think Spotify is focusing on rolling out to non-standard platforms like Hiby OS. Some may ask why use Spotify on a hires DAP but coming from a V20 previously, the convenience and ability to explore new music beyond your own library one touch away is really something useful and nice to have. And those who bash Spotify haven't tried Tunein on a DAP, I have that on my Onkyo DP-S1 and no amount of upsampling/EQ options can make that super low bitrate listenable. Way worse than Spotify, but if anyone knows any higher quality Tunein stations do let me know.

PSA: If USB DAC and streaming aren't critical to you, check out the DP-S1. I got it through Newegg instead of Amazon, but supplied by the same seller: https://www.amazon.com/ONKYO-DP-S1-Digital-Audio-Player/dp/B06XGWGLDK/ Currently just a little more than an R3 (199USD), though there aren't any free screen protectors (one in the box, one preapplied) and cases. Funnily USB DAC is actually quite useful for me so I'm on the fence right now :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #1,114 of 6,859
I tried LDAC for the first time the other day on sony zx300, and it sounded amazing! I wonder if that takes a special chip, or if it uses regular BT with software enhancements? If it does take a chip, then it's already installed on R3, no?

From what I understand (gleaned from very informative MoT on the Radsone ES100 thread) LDAC is just a codec, so it still has to operate within the confines of Bluetooth specifications- IIRC generally speaking a lot of current version bluetooth hardware should technically be capable of it, but still requires licensing the codec from Sony for anything that isn't an Android Oreo-based transmitter (which still require phone manufacturers willing to implement in their Android build)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #1,117 of 6,859
Regarding TIDAL offline,

I regret to say that this has not yet been confirmed to appear on the Kickstarter units as shipped, though we're hopeful it will make its way in via updates. The misinformation was partly our fault, as we at first thought it would be much simpler than it actually is and mistakenly advertised the ability on an early pamphlet. A TIDAL rep had himself run through the advertisement and nobody on either side caught the mistake (even though they didn't even have an offline API at the time; they do now). Now news outlets are picking up on this idea left and right and it seems nothing can stop the circle of misinformation...
e.g.

tidal offline not.PNG

For example, we asked cNet for correction of their article both in their comments section and by directly emailing them, but so far nothing has changed.

At this point all we can do is to work extra hard to make sure that the "advertised" feature will actually materialize. As mentioned above, they do have an offline API now, so one can surely hope.

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 22, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #1,118 of 6,859

Well, you have to understand that Kickstarter is not a store. It is a way to support creators (like HiBy) with their upcoming product. What you get in return is freebies and discounts on the retail price. Many crowdfunding campaigns fail to meet their backers expectations, and we’re trying not to be one of them.

In order not to be one of them and to fulfill our backer needs - we’ll have to set the expectations right.

To wit:

As a matter of fact, LDAC, offline Tidal and MQA are things we cannot make announcements on yet, because we signed NDAs on them that last until if and when such things are fully certified for... whatever they're certified for (because shhhh...), we are working on Spotify but have been met with silence on their end at the moment, while aptX HD is simply not in the cards (they will be announcing the same things on Kickstarter shortly)

With that said, People who back our player should pull the final lever knowing exactly what they're in for, no more, no less. Again - I’d like to emphasis that this is not a store, but a way to support us in bringing the HiBy R3 to life. We hope that the R3 will grow to meet and exceed your expectations with time--after it comes to life.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 22, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,119 of 6,859
Well, you have to understand that Kickstarter is not a store. It is a way to support creators (like HiBy) with their upcoming product. What you get in return is freebies and discounts on the retail price. Many crowdfunding campaigns fail to meet their backers expectations, and we’re trying not to be one of them.

In order not to be one of them and to fulfill our backer needs - we’ll have to set the expectations right....

To wit is a little strong so leaving it out :wink:

I'm still on the fence but @Joe Bloggs just wanted to say a word of thanks for doing your best to give us as much information as possible within the constraints you have. For Spotify maybe Hiby has to be more persistent with them, since they may be busy with their upcoming revamp? Remind them you have a potentially very large user base from Hiby OS as a whole!

I think the KS campaign has been run generally quite well and while it's not over, I think there are really only 2 main things that maybe Hiby can take note for future projects (yes I want to see more cool products!):
1) Make more use of the KS FAQ section with things like wireless support, offline support and file format support so we don't see the same questions repeated on the comments and
2) Maybe plan the stretch goals more in advance - although I know 2 cases would be useful in case we do an armband mod and other reasons. That said, most people can't possibly use a leather case, clear case, white case and then buy a silicon case after :p

Hope Hiby continues making amazing products at great prices! Please keep the same low noise floor and OI of the R3 for its successors so they can drive various multi-BAs. And whatever you do, please don't be like a certain competitor who is launching new product lines that are confusing, with dated specs and no longer price competitive when they used to be pioneers and leaders in the bang-for-buck category. I shall not name names :D

Cheers!

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #1,120 of 6,859
With all things @Joe Bloggs has stated as not currently available to the R3 or may never happen/come to the R3, the current set of features for the price is still fantastic and will enable HiBy to build more and better devices and grow as a device/software company and show those overpriced "high end" brands how it's done.

As long as they don't sell and forget it, but continue to support/ maintain the R3 for at least a little while (unlike some other companies) i'm excited for it and can't wait.

Cheers.

Edit: I just realised I rehashed a lot of what @gemmoglock said... and he is right!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #1,121 of 6,859
Do you know if it will be possible to install other apps? I'm not a tidal... neither spotify... I use Apple Music Premium which is pretty much the rival from them... and it has the offline featuring and offers even larger and better libraries and sound quallity...

Will there be a "play store" option to install Apple Music? (Or other apps) or Is JUST AND ONLY Hiby, Tidal & Spotify?

(Help?)

Props from Portugal

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,122 of 6,859
With all things @Joe Bloggs has stated as not currently available to the R3 or may never happen/come to the R3, the current set of features for the price is still fantastic and will enable HiBy to build more and better devices and grow as a device/software company and show those overpriced "high end" brands how it's done.
As long as they don't sell and forget it, but continue to support/ maintain the R3 for at least a little while (unlike some other companies) i'm excited for it and can't wait.
Cheers.
Edit: I just realised I rehashed a lot of what @gemmoglock said... and he is right!

Cheers buddy! You are right about the current selection of features being fantastic, just look at the comparison sections of the reviews. Without this kickstarter, good luck getting a complete solution at this price point (my DPS1 doesn't do everything too). My unnamed brand which I am a huge fan of has nothing decent in this price range, when just a few years back they were unquestionably the best bang for buck here.

Edit: Just saw you got a B400. I demoed it and thought it was pretty good. Should pair well with the R3!

Do you know if it will be possible to install other apps? I'm not a tidal... neither spotify... I use Apple Music Premium which is pretty much the rival from them... and it has the offline featuring and offers even larger and better libraries and sound quallity...
Will there be a "play store" option to install Apple Music? (Or other apps) or Is JUST AND ONLY Hiby, Tidal & Spotify?
(Help?)
Props from Portugal

Let's not get started discussing about which has better sound quality :wink: First, "play store" is only for Android so you will need something like the Hiby R6. This runs Hiby OS instead of Android.

If you read earlier, Spotify is not confirmed yet, so don't be alarmed if you don't see it on the R3! If you have used Apple products for long, you should know that Apple rarely encourages their software/services to be supported on other OSes unless absolutely necessary. Airplay, ALAC and many other things while implemented well are glaring examples of this mentality.

Do refer back to the Kickstarter campaign page - if something is not mentioned, it isn't supported. Maybe Hiby should put this as a FAQ also? :thinking:

Props from Singapore and if you join the campaign, hope you enjoy the R3 :D

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,123 of 6,859
Hope Hiby continues making amazing products at great prices! Please keep the same low noise floor and OI of the R3 for its successors so they can drive various multi-BAs. And whatever you do, please don't be like a certain competitor who is launching new product lines that are confusing, with dated specs and no longer price competitive when they used to be pioneers and leaders in the bang-for-buck category. I shall not name names :D

Cheers!

we cant say the F word? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back