The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 23, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #331 of 6,859
@Hawaiibadboy, or anybody else with a demo model:

Can you share some of your experiences with circumaural headphones with the R3 single ended? I'm on a very restricted (read: sub dial-up speeds) bandwidth as I'm currently working on a ship so streaming videos is an absolute no-no here, so unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch any of your vids. I ask because I've got cauliflower ears so I can't wear IEMs. The R3 sounded like the perfect (granted, not necessary) replacement for my M2s, which I already found a prospective buyer for until I read about the headphone power output. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, my current out-and-about headphones are Sennheiser HD380.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #333 of 6,859
HiBy, I feel mixed. I am very excited about your two products and it looks like you are going to be a formidable player in the industry going forward. I am pretty darn sure the R3 is in my future; I held off on the R6 mainly because I was concerned about the impedance issue.

But here is where I feel mixed. I have this uncertain feeling that as a company you will be as committed to supporting your software/firmware customers. In particular, the Cayin N5II is still far too buggy than it should be (the biggest issue being random pauses out of nowhere for higher bitrate material like SACD ISO files). I just have the feeling that supporting your corporate customers will no longer be a high priority. Can you talk me down from the ledge?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #335 of 6,859
With regard to pricing I think $229 is the discounted, kickstarter price. The actual street price may actually be a bit higher.

HiBy, I feel mixed. I am very excited about your two products and it looks like you are going to be a formidable player in the industry going forward. I am pretty darn sure the R3 is in my future; I held off on the R6 mainly because I was concerned about the impedance issue.

But here is where I feel mixed. I have this uncertain feeling that as a company you will be as committed to supporting your software/firmware customers. In particular, the Cayin N5II is still far too buggy than it should be (the biggest issue being random pauses out of nowhere for higher bitrate material like SACD ISO files). I just have the feeling that supporting your corporate customers will no longer be a high priority. Can you talk me down from the ledge?

The Super Early Bird Price at Kickstarter is now shown @ $179. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/844915658/769925984?ref=461593&token=202173bf

NOTE: Project is NOT live(available) until March 27th !

493ed0abdfd6c8b411704a0652204945_original.png

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #336 of 6,859
Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #337 of 6,859
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #338 of 6,859
hmmm... only 2.4ghz wifi banding, not sure how that will go for tidal streaming but everything else seems super promising. Will most likely join the kickstarter when it launches

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #340 of 6,859
Mar 23, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #341 of 6,859
Can it be made of titanium? Al so, the micro-sd slot might have cover that can be screwed in with 2 screws, because after one would insert nice big card, the music management would go via usb-c or wireless.

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #342 of 6,859
Can it be made of titanium? Al so, the micro-sd slot might have cover that can be screwed in with 2 screws, because after one would insert nice big card, the music management would go via usb-c or wireless.
I must be getting old, because at times I can not tell when someone has a serious question/comment, and when they are joking.

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #343 of 6,859
Yes i'm serious. The micro sd cover would help against dust (can use at work environment).
And titanium is very affordable, durable and easy to mill.

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #344 of 6,859
I'm mainly an Apple Music user at the moment. How useful would something like this be compared to a standalone amp/dac connected to and iOS device, or a full-fledged android dap (more $$)?

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #345 of 6,859
I'm mainly an Apple Music user at the moment. How useful would something like this be compared to a standalone amp/dac connected to and iOS device, or a full-fledged android dap (more $$)?

I’m guessing not useful at all. Since the is Hiby custom OS the only streaming service currently is Tidal. It may be a while, if ever, for other services to be built. At least from what I’ve seen. Better to get a dac/amp that is iOS compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back