The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Mar 23, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #346 of 6,859
I’m guessing not useful at all. Since the is Hiby custom OS the only streaming service currently is Tidal. It may be a while, if ever, for other services to be built. At least from what I’ve seen. Better to get a dac/amp that is iOS compatible.

Would still have some use as a Bluetooth streamer. Not the optimal use of the device, but still has a place.

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #347 of 6,859
Would still have some use as a Bluetooth streamer. Not the optimal use of the device, but still has a place.
Hmmmm I think you guys are forgetting Hiby link. Simply download the app to his iPhone, and he can control Apple Music on his R3 from his iPhone. Works beautifully between my iPhone and a shanling M2s. 2 way Bluetooth...very innovative and not widely marketed unfortunately.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #348 of 6,859
Hmmmm I think you guys are forgetting Hiby link. Simply download the app to his iPhone, and he can control Apple Music on his R3 from his iPhone. Works beautifully between my iPhone and a shanling M2s. 2 way Bluetooth...very innovative and not widely marketed unfortunately.

I can appreciate this functionality, but at the end of the day, a user such as myself would be trying to maximize audio quality (on a budget). My next question is, after the BT-stream, would the audio quality be similar to something like the BTR1 or AK XB10 with an iPhone?

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #349 of 6,859
I can appreciate this functionality, but at the end of the day, a user such as myself would be trying to maximize audio quality (on a budget). My next question is, after the BT-stream, would the audio quality be similar to something like the BTR1 or AK XB10 with an iPhone?

I would daresay if you're using Apple Music you're already making a "compromise" in audio quality, so the difference between Bluetooth stream versus directly wired would be minimal. Not a dig at AM, moreso that the Bluetooth protocol would exceed the bitrate required.

I will say on my Pixel 2 > BTR1 vs. straight from the supplied dongle/DAC, I barely notice a difference with TIDAL streaming - and the differences I notice probably have nothing to do with bitrate/connection protocol.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #350 of 6,859

Last comment then we should get back on topic!
I would visit the portable amp threads. A dedicated amp to wired phones with the iPhone source would be simple and maintain audio quality (whatever that may be, stream dependent) while adding some dynamic range. I don’t Bluetooth but again, great info elsewhere.

Topic at hand...how about that sexy leather case...and nice early bird discounts...

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #354 of 6,859
Maybe, Maybe Not., but the IDSD R3 has nothing to do with this thread.

yes it has the iDSD R3 amplifier dock is one of the early bird offers on the R3 kickstarter offer by HiBy

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #355 of 6,859
Anyone knows what courier Kickstarter uses? I've had bad experiences with EMS here in our country.
Kickstarter does not ship it, the person who is running the project ( in this case, Hiby) is the one who will manage the shipping. Since they are shipping the r3 for free, it will most probably come via some postal service like singapore post, china post, hong kong post, etc.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #356 of 6,859
Kickstarter does not ship it, the person who is running the project ( in this case, Hiby) is the one who will manage the shipping. Since they are shipping the r3 for free, it will most probably come via some postal service like singapore post, china post, hong kong post, etc.
Too bad. I might just wait for a local dealer here in our country. Or just go through the hassle of dealing with our local post office. Might be worth the hassle anyway.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #357 of 6,859

Disclaimer. Only the first 3 minutes are really about the R3 and the rest is O.C.D ramblings about beeps and stuff

#1 Wanna be starting Something is a tone at 1:29-1:33 apprx and only on left channel location between 500-1Khz
#2 Is On the Run :25 - :57 location 250-3.5Khz
#3 Is Tin Man right at the end of the first lyrics But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man apprx :38 sec depending on if it includes dead wax from start of track apprx 10khz

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #358 of 6,859

Disclaimer. Only the first 3 minutes are really about the R3 and the rest is O.C.D ramblings about beeps and stuff

#1 Wanna be starting Something is a tone at 1:29-1:33 apprx and only on left channel location between 500-1Khz
#2 Is On the Run :25 - :57 location 250-3.5Khz
#3 Is Tin Man right at the end of the first lyrics But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man apprx :38 sec depending on if it includes dead wax from start of track apprx 10khz

Can't you trim with scissors the unruly end of that cloth sleeve on the cable - it's kinda triggering too. Maybe my OCD is different but seems to be just a snip away from being a lot more visually pleasing.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #360 of 6,859
LOL...nah..like the fluffyness of it. A 6 inch cable rolled 3 times drives me nuts. We got different triggers :)
Nah, I can't stand long interconnects too that's why I stopped stacking gear. And even if the cable is ultra short the plugs themselves bother me sticking out. Maybe trim it to the edge of the R3 - that will leave some fluffiness; or slightly longer but not to cover the lower part of the screen. Of course, you're free to keep it this way with these uneven unruly ends - sorry, can't help it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back