The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #751 of 2,230
Not the best pics today.
Pioneer SE-7
There doesn't seem to be an easy, non-destructive way to get the driver off the black baffle that I can see.

_DSC5570.jpg

_DSC5571.jpg

_DSC5575.jpg

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #752 of 2,230
Nov 23, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #753 of 2,230
Nov 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #754 of 2,230
How do they sound?
I just received them...so I have no idea. Actually I have no idea how my tonlen or vali drivers sound either.

I'm trying to design a test rig for measuring drivers. It should be open and have minimal reactions from the housing. Driver swap should be easy and it would be a bonus if it was easy to make closed. I would also like to use hm5 pleather pads. I know their characteristics and it is a good reference as many people have those too.

How does everyone else do it?

Edit: those silk drivers are capable. https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/empiric-diy-headphone-worth-shout-out

I think The Guy made a Grado style headphones called "The professor" too. I'm not sure if he used the the same drivers with that.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #755 of 2,230
I think The Guy made a Grado style headphones called "The professor" too. I'm not sure if he used the the same drivers with that.
"The Professor" used Turbulent labs drivers.

Nov 23, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #756 of 2,230
"The Professor" used Turbulent labs drivers.
Thanks for clarifying. If ever I get a test rig ready I'd like to measure those too. Grado people have plenty to choose from. Damn expensive ones too...elleven acoustica flagship drivers cost like 140€ or something. @GREQ do you have any particular means for testing drivers?

I wish a standard existed on how to compare drivers. Or atleast how to measure them...

Nov 23, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #757 of 2,230
@GREQ do you have any particular means for testing drivers?

Actually no.
You're the first one that's made me realize there doesn't seem to be any prolific database of driver measurements, or even anyone doing something like this.
I've honestly never given it any thought before.

The only standard I go by is taking a somewhat known headphone, doing a transplant, and making a comparison.
This isn't scientific, and of course doesn't tell even half the story, but does give some insight or indication, so it's not without value.

I think the minimum best case scenario per driver would most likely include at least three states:
- driver only (freely suspended before test mic)
- open back headphone
- closed back headphone

The biggest difficulty would be making some kind of jig that accepts all driver sizes for the open and closed back tests.
While the open and closed back tests would have absolutely no value to the outsider comparing with their drivers and/or test rigs, once a small database is created, comparisons on the same rig might start to become more insightful to even amateur hobbyists.
But even just thinking about how much thankless work might be involved makes me cringe a little.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #758 of 2,230
It is actually weird it is not done yet :) so far best I could come up with is takstar pro80/hi2050/Kingston Hyperion x cloud/qpad 90 and gazillion others. Cost like $20 used or for no name aliexpress version. It should be sawn to two pieces so you have open and the cup to tape on for closed back tests.

As stock it takes 53mm driver which is cool because you can't make a 40mm hole bigger but you can use tape, bluetack, adapter rings for a quick test/measurements with smaller drivers.

Also pro80 housing does fit most oval earpads like hm5.

We need a reference for this thing!

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #759 of 2,230
Well, if someone paid me enough, I'd do it :D
Any anonymous rich benefactors lurking?... no?... oh well. :p

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #760 of 2,230
Actually no.
You're the first one that's made me realize there doesn't seem to be any prolific database of driver measurements, or even anyone doing something like this.
I've honestly never given it any thought before.

The only standard I go by is taking a somewhat known headphone, doing a transplant, and making a comparison.
This isn't scientific, and of course doesn't tell even half the story, but does give some insight or indication, so it's not without value.

I think the minimum best case scenario per driver would most likely include at least three states:
- driver only (freely suspended before test mic)
- open back headphone
- closed back headphone

The biggest difficulty would be making some kind of jig that accepts all driver sizes for the open and closed back tests.
While the open and closed back tests would have absolutely no value to the outsider comparing with their drivers and/or test rigs, once a small database is created, comparisons on the same rig might start to become more insightful to even amateur hobbyists.
But even just thinking about how much thankless work might be involved makes me cringe a little.

Thiele-Small parameters (like xmax, qts, f0,...) of dynamic drivers for the lumped parameter model are usually measured using a Klippel rig that uses a laser vibrometer:
unknown.png

Probably not intended for miniature transducers as the Sennheiser driver mounted on the helping hand is somewhat hacky.
This vibrometer also allows you to analyze/visualize the break-up modes of the diaphragm.

For frequency response the old standard wants you to mount the transducer in the middle of a baffle that measures 165 by 135 cm with the microphone 1.5 meters away from the driver for far-field and <10mm for near-field in an anechoic environment.

You can read all of this here starting page 110 (it's German qwq):
https://www.db-thueringen.de/servlets/MCRFileNodeServlet/dbt_derivate_00024492/ilm1-2011000359.pdf
This document is a dissertation on the topic of using multiple miniature broadband transducers like headphone drivers for flat loudspeakers.

Those Klippel systems are 10000€+ - not something for hobbyists.

But for the most important measurement, nearfield frequency response, you could probably try using a jig like this:
Nahfeld-Messung_b.jpg

It's almost fully 3D-printed and mounts a driver and the measurement microphone.
But as you said, making an entire database for a couple nerds is definitely/probably not worth the hassle/money.

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #761 of 2,230
Haha now I know what I wan't for christmas :D don't know about expenses of gathering database though... Many of us allready have $200 minidsp ears. If we had an agreed upon headphone/kind of things it would not be impossible.

One thing is for certain I will build something for myself. Can't really slap all drivers on something like ath-m50 and use that as a proof of anything except for the drivers performance on m50 housing.

Nov 23, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #762 of 2,230
Housings (and dampening etc) make such a difference, it would be difficult to decide on a standard

One option could be something like the soundmagic HP150 and HP200. They are completely identical, except 1 is fully open and the other is closed.

The stock driver is 50mm, which would work with anything 50mm and under (using adapters).

Just a thought..

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #763 of 2,230
Peerless site has spec sheets with measurements on those drivers available.
Saw that last year when I got the 40 and 50mm ones.
They will measure way different outside the shell.
They might use the same rig they test their speakers on.
So don't expect it to be much use at all you'll see when you find the charts. Or at the very least expect things to look a lot different .

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #764 of 2,230

Users who are viewing this thread

Back