The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Nov 5, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #721 of 2,198
I don't think I've seen any sennheiser/beyerdynamic drivers on China sites. Except for one T1 driver which is a obvious copy.

I would love to try that T1 Tesla copy.

In the end I passed though. It's just too expensive to just blindly throw my money at.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #723 of 2,198
Did you notice the new version which is cheaper?https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bBlmp5Qo

Still too expensive considering how cheap used 1st gen t1's are.

Wow, those look great. The previous ones were like $225 if I remember correctly.

Also, as far as gen 1vs 2, I thought the gen 2 drivers > gen 1 drivers?

Or were the drivers all the same and the improvements were due to the shell?

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #724 of 2,198
Brainwavz hm100 IMG_20181107_123530_01.jpg IMG_20181107_123703.jpg
Driver is bigger than on hm5 but not much else has changed.IMG_20181107_122904.jpg IMG_20181107_124503.jpg

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #727 of 2,198
What do you mean? Aren’t all drivers glued into place?
If you mean the diaphragm, then yes you're right, but I mean the driver capsule.
I think the only company that routinely glues all of their drivers to their headphones is Grado.
Most drivers are either screwed in or held down by plastic click-tabs. In some rare cases, the drivers just sit in place compressed between the baffle and the cup.

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #728 of 2,198
Well I am buying a pair of HD700 drivers from a fellow head-fier to shove in my V-Moda LP red croc edition. I designed an adapter for 50mm to 40mm but it is angled at 10°. Some ideas and thought's for damping or mass loading are most welcome.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #729 of 2,198
I might be talking bs but I would try it first with minimum off added stuff inside the cups. The driver is designed to operate in fully open space it might need all the air it can get. Hopefully v-moda has some proper vent holes. I'd focus on getting rid of reflections on top off the baffle/inside earpads. This is of course purely speculative.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #730 of 2,198
I might be talking bs but I would try it first with minimum off added stuff inside the cups. The driver is designed to operate in fully open space it might need all the air it can get. Hopefully v-moda has some proper vent holes. I'd focus on getting rid of reflections on top off the baffle/inside earpads. This is of course purely speculative.
The LP's are pretty vented and I would go as far as to say they are almost semi-open, almost. I am going to be using Dekoni M50 sheepskin pads and you may be wondering how do I get them on and get it to seal properly? Well I have a mod for that coming up tomorrow. The only reason is to why the HD700 had so much of a treble spike is because of the very cheap pleather under the pads and the actual space inside the cups causing treble to just bounce around. Any driver can work in any environment as long as you know how to position them, damp, massload and so on.

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #731 of 2,198
In my experience, the ear pads make the biggest overall difference to any headphone.
you've got to try out pads with different:
• depth
• opening height
• opening width
• materials (not the biggest issue)
... and that can lead to many combinations.

Be prepared to roll a few pads before you find the right one.
I do realise this isn't easy for someone who doesn't have boxes full of various spare pads at home :/

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #732 of 2,198
Any driver can work in any environment as long as you know how to position them, damp, massload and so on.
pretty much so but some drivers are really sensitive about sufficient airflow.

This is an interesting mod. Especially because hd700/hd800 don't have cups in the normal sense. By that I mean a housing enclosed with baffle. I'd like to hear how those drivers behave on a more traditional housing. So keep us posted! :)

However this might be a better place for that discussion https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...l-your-full-sized-headphone-mods-here.867426/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back