The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Mar 13, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #976 of 2,240
I stopped playing with the k100 32 ohm. They have tons of bass but too harsh for tunning. I had good result in the same cup setting with my hd800 driver and the berrylium driver. The BE sounds smooth, but mid is not as smooth or real as hd800. It is very fast sounding, mid image is really good. Treble detail is around 90% of the hd800. Bass quantity is around the same as hd800, ans just as fast.
Overall, it is very fast sounding, but lack a tad of the smooth and emotional mid of the hd800.
And Im comparing to my diy hd800 , not the original.
Huh. I had soo much hope for those k100 but oh well, or maybe they just overdamped them.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #978 of 2,240
Huh. I had soo much hope for those k100 but oh well, or maybe they just overdamped them.
For the k100 and beryllium drivers, I tried in things with them, open and closed back. I tried to open 1 and 2 holes on the back of the k100, it turns them to complete bass monster, but still sounds bright ir harsh. So it seems there might be something mechanical on the diaphragm making it so, or the voice coil and the magnet system, or even the fact that its its 32 ohm version vs 540 ohm of the berrylium.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #979 of 2,240
I don't think I've seen this before: foam is between the membrane and the magnet not on top of the magnet
It's there, allmost the size of center dome. Pretty cool :)
Seen this in a couple of vintages I've posted in this very thread in the past.
Very uncommon in modern drivers, for sure.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #980 of 2,240
For the k100 and beryllium drivers, I tried in things with them, open and closed back. I tried to open 1 and 2 holes on the back of the k100, it turns them to complete bass monster, but still sounds bright ir harsh. So it seems there might be something mechanical on the diaphragm making it so, or the voice coil and the magnet system, or even the fact that its its 32 ohm version vs 540 ohm of the berrylium.
Well front damping should kill those peaks, try cutting a foam piece to the size of the dome of the driver. That normally kills the peaks without actually killing any sort of detail. Felt and foam is recommended. Or you could stuff some foam or very dense felt (found inside the dt990) behind the driver, inside the cup.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #981 of 2,240
Audio-technica r70x

45mm 470ohm

Metal grille seems to be glued on the driver housing.

I don't think I've seen this before: foam is between the membrane and the magnet not on top of the magnet.
It's there, allmost the size of center dome. Pretty cool :)

Foam? Interesting!

I wonder if it was out there to alleviate some sort of unwanted buzzing?

It seems like it would slow down the responsiveness and speed of the diaphragm. Like when you try and run or move underwater.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #985 of 2,240
why, are you making some headphones?

We sensed that someone might ask us this :ksc75smile:

In short, no. But we are interested what people here are able to come up with. It's our admiration for other users' efforts!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 19, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #986 of 2,240
Oh man, I just killed one of the drivers in my dt880 600ohm's [They fell from my desk, snapping the microscopic wire going from the pcb to the voice coil].
It wasn't even my shotty balanced wireing that killed it... oh well

Now the question is: Should I get in touch with beyer and get a replacement driver or should I hop on the bandwagon with a pair k99 500ohm's?

Mar 19, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #987 of 2,240
Oh man, I just killed one of the drivers in my dt880 600ohm's [They fell from my desk, snapping the microscopic wire going from the pcb to the voice coil].
It wasn't even my shotty balanced wireing that killed it... oh well

Now the question is: Should I get in touch with beyer and get a replacement driver or should I hop on the bandwagon with a pair k99 500ohm's?

Maybe consider the beryllium drivers?

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #988 of 2,240
Maybe consider the beryllium drivers?

Hmm maybe. You wouldn't happen to have a link?
The only criteria I have is that the diameter is equal or below 45mm, a relatively high ohm [to match my aune x7s high output impedance] and obviously that they sound just as good or better than the stock dt 880 drivers :)

On a side note, I just stumbled upon these: Golden Teslas?

I'm open for any suggestions really.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #989 of 2,240
Hmm maybe. You wouldn't happen to have a link?
The only criteria I have is that the diameter is equal or below 45mm, a relatively high ohm [to match my aune x7s high output impedance] and obviously that they sound just as good or better than the stock dt 880 drivers :)

On a side note, I just stumbled upon these: Golden Teslas?

I'm open for any suggestions really.

If you check back a few pages (maybe 10) we’ve been talking about the gold drivers. Someone tried them and they were t that great.

As far as the beryllium driver:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-headphone-driver-pics-thread.202122/page-64#post-14824067

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #990 of 2,240
If you check back a few pages (maybe 10) we’ve been talking about the gold drivers. Someone tried them and they were t that great.

Haha, thanks. It seems I jumped the gun a bit there - my order has just been placed on the gold teslas. I don't think I'm far enough in my head-fi adventure, for it to matter too too much, if it's not living up to the gold standard for sound. Heck if it means that I have to mod/tune my cans some to get the sound profile I want, then that's a win for me. It just seemed to make the most sense to buy those, since they're presumably better than the stock drivers and fit the driver frame/housing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back