The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #949 of 2,240
AKG K550 mk2

I bet @SHAMuuu is triggered by that driver!
Ok I burned in the k100 driver for 24 hours. I could have burn in more, bur this is the impression:
As packaged, they are over damped, with muted bass.
I opened 2 circumference holes and bass increase ridiculously. I ended up using configuration that was much more opened than my hd800 driver, and still got rumbling bass. However there is very annoying peak in the upper mids and doesnt go away with different damping and mod I made. The center part is metal vapour film so it is light and rigid, and surrounding white plastic must be softer, and it indeed move like a piston. But the upper mid and high screwed up, and not that much detail or sense of space. It also sounds harsh, not smooth in these region
Then I desoldered them and swap in the berrylium 300 ohm and damn. Not as smooth sounding as the hd800 driver but like 95% and sounds quite smooth without any peak. This is almost the same case with hd800 driver when i first got them. The high peak of hd800 is mostly due to the thin metal panel they use to create resonance and produce more detail in the high . Detail retrieval of the BE driver is on par with hd800. Interesting because they are both very stiff and fixed edge. On Hd800 its plastic but stiffness is increased by the fixed inner circumference. On the berrylium, the whole diaphragm is plated with what is supposed to be the stiffest and luglight metal. As a result they sound a bit similar, detailed but less bass ( not piton like movement like those rubber mounted fostex biocellulose drivers)
tmlwJX2.jpg

jj2JOjU.jpg

E3FJxP9.jpg
Mostly as far as I know the upper mid peaks are cause by over damping or the housing just ain't playing nice with the driver, try a wooden housing. Something that I would recommend trying is to cut a piece of foam exactly the size of the inner dome of the driver or try some sound absorbent inside the cup.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #951 of 2,240
I bet @SHAMuuu is triggered by that driver!

Mostly as far as I know the upper mid peaks are cause by over damping or the housing just ain't playing nice with the driver, try a wooden housing. Something that I would recommend trying is to cut a piece of foam exactly the size of the inner dome of the driver or try some sound absorbent inside the cup.

That’s what I was thinking. I plan to put my K100 in a Sivga SV007 as soon as I get them back from a fellow HeadFier.

Mar 8, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #954 of 2,240
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #955 of 2,240
I'm confused about those "Beryllium" drivers frank used.
They cost like 60$, but arent they the same drivers being used in all those 65$ Chinese,walnut Blon\Msur etc headphones?

There’s a 32ohm BE driver on Aliexpress. That’s probably the version they’re using in all the walnut headphones (or a very similar driver).

However, even that driver is ~$60-$70. So if it is indeed the same driver as installed in the ~$60 walnut headphones, then I don’t quite understand the math...

Things that make you go hmmmm

1E27C4E8-E5EA-40B5-9537-7BE5A0B7BB63.gif

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #956 of 2,240
There’s a 32ohm BE driver on Aliexpress. That’s probably the version they’re using in all the walnut headphones (or a very similar driver).

However, even that driver is ~$60-$70. So if it is indeed the same driver as installed in the walnut headphones, then...

Things that make you go hmmmm

Definitely does, it tells me the drivers are likely just overpriced.

On a side note, I just got a 200 Ohm DT 480 for $70 and the DT 48/480 drivers are the best dynamic drivers I’ve owned, they respond unbelievably well to modding. But I’m stuck with a DT 100/150 housing with them unless someone designs a 3D printed housing to accommodate the baffle(where the driver seems fused to).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #958 of 2,240
Here’s another weird one that makes me go hmmm...

On the K100 listing, they have these 2 photos amongst all of the various product shots:

The white damping paper is my version 32 ohm, black one should be 540 ohm

Mar 8, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #959 of 2,240
The white damping paper is my version 32 ohm, black one should be 540 ohm

My 500ohm K100 looks like the white version. That’s why I thought I’d mention it, since both versions are the white version.

So either the black damping version with open magnet vent is a prototype version, or something else entirely.

Regardless, it gives a clue to a possible dampening configuration to try. I’m pretty sure the black paper has less resistance than the white paper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back