the HD 280
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #61 of 66
I'm not a fan of HD-280s but they are improved with the blue tack mod mentioned here on HeadFi. Add the blue tack poster sticky to the inside of the cans (particularly right behind the driver) and it reduces resonances, improves bass and makes them livable. I'm not saying it makes them the right choice, but it certainly improves the phones.

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #62 of 66
Does that tack mod or burn-in relieve 280 of the incredibly forced sound it has to some extent?
I spent a few hours with them locally, I thought they sounded pretty good, just my main gripe is how the sound is so forced, as if reproducing sound/music is the most difficult thing. I also liked that the bass wasn't as woolly as HD600's, and a pinch faster I think. I'm not sure about the speed though, no longer have HD600. Definitely not as fast as any of my other 'phones.
Or was it defective? lol
Or they had not enough vesp- er, burn-in?
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #63 of 66

Quote:
Does that tack mod or burn-in relieve 280 of the incredibly forced sound it has to some extent?
I spent a few hours with them locally, I thought they sounded pretty good, just my main gripe is how the sound is so forced, as if reproducing sound/music is the most difficult thing. I also liked that the bass wasn't as woolly as HD600's, and a pinch faster I think. I'm not sure about the speed though, no longer have HD600. Definitely not as fast as any of my other 'phones.
Or was it defective? lol
Or they had not enough vesp- er, burn-in?
biggrin.gif

[size=medium]
Hey Mad Max, what an interesting question. You cracked me up with "as if reproducing sound/music is the most difficult thing." Good description of the sound.

I don't have two pairs to compare against. My two cents is that the tack mod helps what you describe but it's still very "there." The bass presentation improves, to my ears. Perhaps there's less cancelation going on so you just hear more bass. I have the HD-580s (po man's 600s) and the tack mod certainly doesn't turn the 280s into anything lush. I'd say it removes the "burrs" the way sandpaper does on unfinished furniture.

I didn't fill the cups, just tack behind the driver like you might Dynamat behind a door speaker versus doing the whole door. I didn't add any fiber or anything.

One plus is the mod can be removed by scraping out the sticky tack or adjusted (hence I did the minimal). The downside is it's hard to avoid damaging the fragile little drivers. They certainly look like "reproducing sound/music is the most difficult thing" for them.

[/size]

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #64 of 66
Less cancellation? More bass?

You lost me. They had just barely enough bass, any less and they would certainly be anemic. Or is that abnormal? Not good enough of a seal? I even pressed them against my head and didn't notice much of a change in sound, and it was still very forced.
I guess I've been spoiled with my Audio-Technicas' "feather-light" effortlessness. They are the extreme opposite - as if music were they easiest thing in the world to reproduce and they love to.

Edit: And two years later, I'm an owner and fan, LOL!  I wish I had picked these up earlier.  The used pair that I bought sound much tighter, bassier, weightier, not as forced.  Deep bass.  They are stock, then a few days ago, I added Dynamat to the backs of the drivers for even more improvement.  HD280 makes a nice complement to HD25-1.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #65 of 66
just got the 280 pro for christmas after comparing them with some other phones at best buy including some koss, sony, and beats (just for lols, i already knew those things were just another awful pop-culture gimmick.) i've listened to sub-$50 headphones for most of my life, but enjoyed my steelseries siberia v2 for gaming and even more so for music, and have tried a few other friends phones on occasion. when i took these out of the box, i thought they were lacking, but after wearing them in for a month they sound worlds better. EQ on my walkman mp3 has done wonders for them, especially in the bass department. i even dropped the bass boost down a level, which was not necessary for me on my siberias. they are a bit uncomfortable due to a very strong clamp on my relatively gargantuan head, but as they burn in i've also been clamping them on a large portable speaker which has made them much more comfortable as well. as for my overall satisfaction, i talked my girlfriend into letting me spend a little tax money on a magni-modi combo and a pair of t50rp mad dogs. not bad, but not good enough for me, as i would assume is true for most willing to spend more than $100 on a headphone. wishing i would have tried the ath-m50 first. btw, i mostly listen to prog, power metal, classic rock, etc. bands i'm listening to on these right now include ayreon (arjen is a god), dream theater, seventh wonder, aina, BTBAM, the faceless, headspace, rush, yes, versailles, the eagles, fleetwood mac, etc.

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #66 of 66

HD280 Pro - Owned for 2-3 years
Great clarity in the mids particularly around vocals and snare type sounds, sometimes a little too pronounced. Excellent sub bass, maybe slightly light on the mid bass. There is a good quantity of bass too but not only is there a good quantity of it, it is very detailed, instruments like bass guitard retain their "twang" rather than just sounding boomy (Not a basshead headphone though). They have good instrument separation in the bass to mid range. A little lacking in treble. Small soundstage, very inside your head sounding. A very balanced analytical headphone that will shine with good recordings and show off poor ones. Quite a dry sound. I feel that everything is pretty close to where it should be. I like these. They have changed substantially for the better with time and now have many hours on them, I use these almost every day.

The HD280 is accused of clamping the head too hard and I can see where people are coming from there, mine have gotten better with time and are not too bad now, still firm though. I do find this has it's benefits though. Their isolation is exceptional and becaust of their relative light weight and firm grip I rarely have to readjust them while doing things around the house.

They do benefit from amplification but I wouldn't say It is essential, If you asked me when I first got them I would say yes the need amplification and they also need to be EQ'd. These days i don't find that they need either and feel that this is due to burn in.

I wouldn't buy these if you have quite a big head though, I also have a set of ATH-M50's I have been using for about 6 months and have a set of HD380's arriving in a couple of days. If you want to hear more about either of those just ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back