the HD 280
Mar 24, 2004 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

naunika

Head-Fier
Hi there!
I need new headphones.
Are there any reasons why not buy the HD 280?

(the music that would be listened would be industrial, dark ambient, noise, marital industrial, symphonic, etc. You know what I mean.)
would the HD 280 (pro, I guess) suit fot that music?
they cost about 140$ here. i know, in "NoRmaL" countries You can get them for 80$ or even cheaper.

And.. one more question.. about the burning-in
hh
Is it safe? I mean - can not they be distorted?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 66
Quote:

No, assuming you have average size can (head)... if you have extra large can like me, you may find Sony MDR-V6/Beyer/Grado phones (they do sound quite different)!

Quote:

about the burning-in... Is it safe? I mean - can not they be distorted?

I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean here? Burning-in does not mean you will BURN the headphone with blow torch. It simply means you will play some music at normal to slightly louder volume for 20-40 hours or so (by no means crank it up 'till they distort). Read F.A.Q. on burn-in!
-Mike

[edited for spelling]

Mar 24, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by go_vtec
No, assuming you have average size can (head)... if you have extra large can like me, you may find Sony MDR-V6/Beyer/Grado phones (they do sound quite different)!

[edited for spelling]

I'm not sure I will have a chance to listen to the Beyer or Grado,
We'we only one "Hi-FI" shop here in Riga, Which offers mostly Sennheiser phones.

And If Beyer/Grado, which models? For about the same price as the HD 280

Mar 24, 2004 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 66
If you're using them with a receiver or something like that at home, I found the HD280's to be a great choice, since their bass roll off, and clean mids and highs, paired with a receiver's usually bassy response, works really well together.

I was never really satisfied with them unamped out of a portable-- except a Sony D-33 I had. Their isolation is great though!

Give them plenty of time with some music pumping through them-- something bassy for about 3 days straight at a fairly high volume (not too high though!).

Mar 24, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 66
Well.. I thought they were meant to be unamped.
Sony D-33 You say?
Actually I was thinking of using them unamped

And the HD202?
what about them? Or they are not comparable to the 280?

I mean the quality.

HUH.. they lack the bass?
That would not be too grat for dark ambient
mad.gif

Assume they will be amped.
And any recommendations for those liitle in- ear phones? (dunno how are they called) - for my cd walkman

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 66
Grado SR-80/SR-60 is in similar price ranges (under $100), Beyerdynamic's phones cost a bit more. May be you wanna avoid V6 since it sounds quite bright!

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 66
The 280's actually have really good bass response especially when amped. The thing is that they don't have the mid-bass hump that a lot of people like. What they do have though is a bit of a hump in the low bass which sounds really good. There will be some songs that are not mixed with much or any bass that travels down that low so then the 280's will sound rather light in the bass department but it's really pretty rare. They should be burned-in for at least 200 hours at volumes slightly higher than what you would consider a loud listeing volume. That is unless you are the type that really likes to play their music so loud that they will soon go deaf.

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 66
But if I listen to music with much bass (dark ambient (hope You know what I''m talking about)), will they sound poor unamped?
(I assume I would use them with my portable sony cd player- unamped as well) It was no problem at home where I have got a quite nice yamaha amp.

And.. the Grado ar open-type. The 80/60
Does that guarantee better sound?

And do not seem to be comfortable

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 66
When unamped, the bass on the HD280 is absolutely anemic... in constrast you'll get so much stressed high-end detail and definition.. you're likely to get very, very fatigued aftering long listening sessions.

In an unamped situation, I don't think HD280 is any less "bright" in the high ends than the V6... which is what causes most of the mental fatigue anyway.

They do sound much better when they are amped... but that sort of defeats the whole purpose of having them for me. ($60 headphone into a $900 amp?... lol)

Also, they clamp on real tight, so you need to stretch them with a stack of books or something for quite a while before you can wear them. They also build up a lot of heat inside the cups... after a half hour, you'll probably be sweating a whole lot because of the tight heat build-up.

They do isolate sound better than most closed headphone I've tried.. but at a detriment to comfort for sure.

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by naunika
Hi there!
I need new headphones.

Other than the fact that only pilots in an aircraft cockpit should be using HD-280s? Naah...
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 66
You are confusing me.
A day ago I thought the HD 280 were a perfect solution. (for that money)
but now..
1) the heat
2) they NEED to be amped
3) Going to shop and listening would be useless, since the were not burned-in
etc

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Other than the fact that only pilots in an aircraft cockpit should be using HD-280s? Naah...
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

And what EXACTY did You mean by that?

Thought they were somewhat good headphones.
confused.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 66
For its price, if you want a lot of high treble definition and good midrange, HD280 isn't bad.. but if you want a balanced headphone with a good overall tonality and soothing sound.. HD280 isn't that headphone.

In fact, very few closed headphone under $100 will get you there. Audio Technica A500 is probably the best choice if your budget allows you to stretch for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back