the HD 280
Mar 25, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by naunika
Well, what about Ultrasone models? Any information?

You might want to look at these:

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...num=1&tid=5178
http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...num=1&tid=5239
http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...num=1&tid=3968
http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...num=1&tid=4911
http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...num=1&tid=5863

(Incidentally, if it seems like I'm plugging Jan Meier here, I'm not -- he just seems to be one of the community's best resources on Ultrasone in particular, and German headphone manufacturers in general.)

Also, a followup to my previous post -- I did pick up a pair of Sony MDR-7506 (same phone as the MDR-V6), and I've found that there's only one thing I like better about them than the HD280. Unfortunately, that one thing is the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally, I find the highs to be more present, and a lot smoother, than in my HD280's, so I'll probably wind up either returning the HD280's or selling them to a colleague. In all other aspects, though -- construction, comfort, isolation -- I still like the HD280's better. So if you can audition them at your local shop and you do like the sound, then you still might want to go with them.

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #35 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Dixie Flatline

Also, a followup to my previous post -- I did pick up a pair of Sony MDR-7506 (same phone as the MDR-V6), and I've found that there's only one thing I like better about them than the HD280. Unfortunately, that one thing is the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally, I find the highs to be more present, and a lot smoother, than in my HD280's, so I'll probably wind up either returning the HD280's or selling them to a colleague. In all other aspects, though -- construction, comfort, isolation -- I still like the HD280's better. So if you can audition them at your local shop and you do like the sound, then you still might want to go with them.

I own them both, and enjoy them for different applications. The V6 strikes me as more portable, and has a more "fun" sound, while the 280 Pro has better isolation, more soundstage, and a more "balanced" sound. That said, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a new Favorite Closed Isolating Headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #36 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by GanChan
I own them both, and enjoy them for different applications. The V6 strikes me as more portable, and has a more "fun" sound, while the 280 Pro has better isolation, more soundstage, and a more "balanced" sound. That said, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a new Favorite Closed Isolating Headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be tempting to keep them both, but I'm only in a position to hang onto one at the moment. (Translation: my wife will kill me if I don't return one of 'em.
smily_headphones1.gif
) The thing that's really put me off the HD280's, though, is not just the lesser quantity of the treble -- it actually sounds quite harsh and grainy to me, where the 7506's and E2's have a smooth-sounding treble from exactly the same sources.

Looking ahead to the future (probably after a portable amp, and that's still a ways away), I'm speculating about the Ultrasone HFI-650 or AKG 271S. I'm firmly committed to closed phones, since even at home things are noisy enough that isolation and non-leakage are priorities.

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #37 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by Dixie Flatline

Looking ahead to the future (probably after a portable amp, and that's still a ways away), I'm speculating about the Ultrasone HFI-650 or AKG 271S. I'm firmly committed to closed phones, since even at home things are noisy enough that isolation and non-leakage are priorities.

The problem is that not all closed phones are created equal, in terms of isolation. Worse, the highest quality closed headphones seem to be the relatively bad at isolation.

but I can't go with canalphones, because they make my ears itch.
eek.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #38 of 66
huh. canalphones.
can they compete the headphones?
maybe I ougt to buy canalphones if I would use them mostly with my portable cd-player.
Any recommendations? (I know I would not get that thing here in Latvis for sure, if You would recommend me something)

Mar 25, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #39 of 66
Only the highest end of canalphones can compete directly with headphones.. some canalphones might have specific characteristics which makes them attractive & useful... but not in terms of overall sound presentation.

For example...

Ety ER-4 => Great instrument separation and details, but not complete sound spectrum, flat sound imaging (meaning, sound projects around, but without depth). Good compromise because you get details that you don't get with the headphone in this price range.

Shure E5c => Great dynamic range, cheapest a canalphone will get before it has a visceral bass that competes with full size headphones. Not as detailed as ER-4.

And anything lower than these two are simply making trade-offs in sound presentation for miniaturization and isolation. On the other hand, no full-size headphone offer the isolation of canalphones.

Mar 25, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #41 of 66
In perspective, I think they're all better than the HD280 though.. HD280 is only a half-decent headphone, I don't consider it to be all that great.

I would consider both Shure E2c and Ety ER-6 much better than HD280.. but they both cost a bit more.

The post before was more of a generalization of canalphone against similarly priced full size counterparts.

Mar 25, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #42 of 66
I've been very happy with my E2's (exactly the same as the E2c, just different packaging) as portable phones for my daily commute, and to wear at work. If you're not looking for ultra-portability and isolation, though, you'd probably be better off with full-size phones. I usually wear my E2's for a total of 7-8 hours a day during the week (not at all on weekends), and that's about my limit -- my ears do get a little itchy and irritated by the end of the day, and they definitely benefit from recovering over the weekend. I've also gone through a number of different earpiece options for the E2 to find one I'm happy with (see this thread). The foams would be my favorite, except that (1) they have to be replaced regularly, and (2) they require some work to put in, which is bad if you need to take them out regularly to talk to people.

That's why I've wound up trying to decide between the HD280's and Sony 7506's -- to have a good, comfortable pair of full-size closed phones for home. They're both quite rugged and portable, though, if you normally carry a bag or backpack so you have somewhere to stick them when you're not wearing them.

Mar 25, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #44 of 66
ER-6's are very good as well.. (btw... all canalphones are "isolating" earphones)... their characteristic is enhancing details of the music, but they miss out of bass impact completely. There's reproduction in notes, but no impact.

E2c is less detailed, with more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back