the HD 280
Mar 24, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #16 of 66
I like the Eggo's for Industrial music (slowly getting used to them.) I tried the HD280's and didn't like them at all. I forgot EXACTLY what, but the 280's sounded overall muddy and bloated... something that sounds horrible with the crispness you want w/ synths and the already distorted to hell voice(s) in the music.

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by naunika
And what EXACTY did You mean by that?

Thought they were somewhat good headphones.
confused.gif

They're "like 'em or hate 'em" headphones... I was one of those who absolutely hated them. To me they sounded "mechanical" and unmusical, just the thing for listening to aircraft voice comms or beeping VOR beacons (they even look the part)... but there are many who disagree.

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Seems like I'll never buy new headphones..

Can you get Sony V6 or MDR-7506 in your country? IMO they sound better than HD-280 Pro and are very good "entry level" hifi headphones.

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Ok, let's assume that I don't want sealed headphones any more.
what about the open-type headphones for about 100$ ?

Long time lurker here. Unfortunately, there is no really one size fit all under $100 headphone. You are better off narrow your choices down and audition them if you can. Grado SR-80 (or maybe Alessandro MS-1) both should give great details of music, crisp and clear. But it will not give you deep fun bass feeling when you listen to rap or techno. I don't why people say it's not comfortable though, cause i wear my Grado all the time for long period. Though, i cannot use it for portable. It leaks too much noise and does not prevent outside noise coming to you ears either. So for portable, i use a different headphone.

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
When unamped, the bass on the HD280 is absolutely anemic... in constrast you'll get so much stressed high-end detail and definition.. you're likely to get very, very fatigued aftering long listening sessions.In an unamped situation, I don't think HD280 is any less "bright" in the high ends than the V6... which is what causes most of the mental fatigue anyway.

I disagree. I found there to me copius amounts of deep bass on the HD 280s unamped but not much midbass. I listen to bass-heavy music and I found this balance very unfatiging. They are both bright cans but the HD 280 does not PEAK like the V6 in the upper-mids/highs.

Quote:

Also, they clamp on real tight, so you need to stretch them with a stack of books or something for quite a while before you can wear them. They also build up a lot of heat inside the cups... after a half hour, you'll probably be sweating a whole lot because of the tight heat build-up.

I never had a problem with the earcups, but the headband bothered me. I have a ridge on the top of my head that was preventing me from getting very much contact area. Also, I thought my ears got just as hot under a pair of A900s.

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

what about the open-type headphones for about 100$ ?

Sony MDR-CD780. More accurate and comfy than Sony V6 and it is OPEN at $99. Asking what headphone to buy here is like asking what food should I eat for lunch today. Everyone has slightly different idea of what ideal lunch/food is. Same for headphone, some like it bright and some like it netural. FYI, I like it bright, high and low.

For me, Sony MDR-V6 is bright/affordable/closed/portable cans, Senn HD-280 pro is less-bright/affordable/closed cans, and MDR-CD780 is netural/open/comfy-but-not-so-portable cans.

-Mike

[edit: fixed the quotation]

Mar 24, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #23 of 66
My experience with the 280 unamped and that sort of music is the highs are too pronounced, and the bass is weak. That said, for what they cost they're one of the best closed 'phones you're going to get.

Regarding Grados, in that price range give them a miss and go for the Alessandro.

If you can order from the states, the Beyer 250-80 might suit you well, and like someone said, the A500 would be pretty good too. The A500 has to be shipped from Japan, though.

Mar 24, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #24 of 66
It is quite problematic to order any technic from the states

Well, ok, let's assume that they WILL be amped.
then the bass ought to be ok?

(I'll go to the shop and listen how they sound both amped and unamped)

Mar 24, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #26 of 66
Quote:

It is quite problematic to order any technic from the states

If you're in Latvia, it might be easier for you to order from Meier Audio in Germany -- he should be able to get you the Beyer 250-80 with no problem.

Mar 24, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

I don't see a Beyer 250-80 there.
any other You recommend from those avaliable?

and.. guess I will not buy a Headphone amp

I don't know enough to offer a specific recommendation, but Jan Meier should be able to get most Beyerdynamic models for you, not just the ones he lists on his site. (He recently revised his headphone page, because I know he used to have the DT250's there.) It's worth sending him an email to ask what his price would be for the 250-80.

I'm fairly new at this game myself -- I've had a pair of Senn HD280's for several weeks, and right now I'm not sure how I feel about them -- they sound a little "dead" or remote to me, compared to my Shure E2's. I'm probably going to go buy a pair of Sony V6 tonight and compare them with my HD280's, so I can keep the one I like better and return the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back