The Hassle-Free Headphone Recommendation Thread: Cans that sound great without amping, modding, or burn-in.
Jan 16, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #108 of 136
Hi,
what's the opinion on Oppo PM3?  I picked them up recently and am using them with iPod classic 5 th generation iPod ( 60 GB video iPod with click wheel) ?

Would a headphone amp/dac be required and will it help?

May 28, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #109 of 136
Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm looking to buy a portable DAC AMP for my buddy for his birthday. I'd like to get something in the $100-$200 range. He listens using his laptop or his android phone mostly. He is currently using Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and listens to bands like Royskopp. I've been researching and I'm considering either

1) Fiio A5
2) Creative Soundblaster E3
3) Fiio E18 (thanks ahmadfaizadnan)
4) Dragonfly Red (thanks Dulalala)

As much as I've read I'm still confused. I'd really appreciate any opinions or recommendations. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #110 of 136
Hi,
Not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm looking to buy a portable DAC AMP for my buddy for his birthday. I'd like to get something in the $100-$200 range. He listens using his laptop or his android phone mostly. He uses cans and listens to bands like Royskopp. I've been researching and I'm considering either

1) Fiio A5
2) Creative Soundblaster E3
3) Fiio E17k

As much as I've read I'm still confused. I'd really appreciate any opinions or recommendations. Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't go with the A5, if your friend doesn't have a DAC already, then the A5 isn't going to work well because as far as I'm aware, most laptops and phones don't have a proper line out to feed the amp. The Fiio E17K has compatibility issues with some Android phones so I wouldn't go that route either unless he is only planning to use it with his laptop or his phone is known to work with the E17K. My recommendation would be either a Dragonfly Black ($100) or Dragonfly Red ($200).

May 28, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #112 of 136
I wouldn't go with the A5, if your friend doesn't have a DAC already, then the A5 isn't going to work well because as far as I'm aware, most laptops and phones don't have a proper line out to feed the amp. The Fiio E17K has compatibility issues with some Android phones so I wouldn't go that route either unless he is only planning to use it with his laptop or his phone is known to work with the E17K. My recommendation would be either a Dragonfly Black ($100) or Dragonfly Red ($200).

Thanks for the recommendation, would using a microusb-usb connection for android phone-to-dragonfly work?

May 28, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #113 of 136

I've experienced it at times with E17K. The E18K is much better for android. +1 for the recommendation.

May 28, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #114 of 136
Thanks for the recommendation, would using a microusb-usb connection for android phone-to-dragonfly work?

Has to be an OTG cable. The pins in a normal cable are different from an OTG so make sure to not buy the wrong one. Most OTG cables are male micro-USB type b (or USB type c) to female USB A which will work fine with the Dragonfly.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #116 of 136
Headphones I've had that work great without much amping/modding:

Philips Fidelio X2: v shaped open headphones, great for gaming and EDM music which is my primary use case
Meze 99 Classics: more balanced closed headphones, beautiful looks, only cons are the somewhat small earpads

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #119 of 136
I have a couple of recommendations depending your budget. As stated in the thread, these can be used without an amp and reach a good part of their potential.

IEM:
Xiaomi piston hybrid pro hd. These retail for about $30. I bought them for my little cousin and sound much better than its price may suggest. Their signature is something between V-Shaped and U-shaped.

Hifiman RE400. Nice ones! You can get them for $79, but sometimes the price is reduced to 50. They are very comfortable and have a neutral buy slightly warm sound.

Shure SE 535. If you have $500 for an IEM, you should put them on your to-listen list. Amazing sound.

Full size
Nad VISO HP50. Very neutral can, comfortable and good sounding. Closed back headphones. $299

Hifiman HE400S. Open back planar magnetic. Amazing sound straight from your phone. Although it scales with amps, you can drive it with your phone or any portable player. The bass rolls off a bit, but the mids are great. For $299 these are a great buy

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #120 of 136
even now, I feel like burn in is more about mental burn in more than actual burn in. every time i switch headphones, even between ones ive been using for a long time, i have to take time to get used to it before i feel like i can remember what it sounded like to me (looking at ca jupiter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back