The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #721 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Throw me some advice on which grado entry I should get.

From what I understand all Grado's share a similar 'Grado' sound, they just become more refined the further up the line you go. If you really want a pair to kick around, some SR60s or even iGrado's may tide you over. I couldn't imagine owning both 225s and HF2 - seems a bit of overkill.

I know these are good headphones but I just haven't learned to love them. I think my Phonaks spoiled me a bit. I think soon they may end up on Ebay...
frown.gif

How much can these change with HD414 pads?

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #723 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went like this:

Sr60->MS-1->SR225->RS1->RS1i->SR60i

shows how great the sr60 is huh?

LOL - You reckon MS1's lose out to the SR60s? I know its all down to personal taste etc.

Just this afternoon I modded my pads a little further. I had some bits of foam lying around, so I cut them into strips and lined them along the inside perimeter of my stretched, quartered KSC75 pads, then put the grado quartered comfys on top, then lined the inside perimeter of the comfys with the more foam. The effect is it raises the drivers about another 5mm or so off the ear, creating a sort of 'foam tunnel' from the drivers to the ear. Overall sound occasionally gets a bit 'dirty' but is much more balanced, less fatiguing and generally better. Hmmm, looks pretty ghetto though. I'll post some pics tomorrow when its daylight...

I'm not really one of those people that likes spending loads of money of pads / tips after I just dropped £70 on a pair of headphones...

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #724 of 869
How long do these have to be burned in before they sound really good? I just got one, and it's not what I expected. Objectively, they're very good for the price, but I thought there's supposed to be an up-front sound to them. Will this come later, or is this pretty much it. It's nearing the 24 hr burn-in mark and it doesn't sound all that much better.

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #725 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucsf2012 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long do these have to be burned in before they sound really good? I just got one, and it's not what I expected. Objectively, they're very good for the price, but I thought there's supposed to be an up-front sound to them. Will this come later, or is this pretty much it. It's nearing the 24 hr burn-in mark and it doesn't sound all that much better.

IMO, the thick foamed comfy pads dull the 'in your faceness' of the sound. Coin modding your pads will open up the 'in your faceness' but they become too shrill, & the bass and very meh.

I sort of wish I hadn't been so eager to mod my pads now I realise they cost £13 to replace...
frown.gif

Still, I've been quite impressed by the sound with the mod I mentioned in my last post...

Do yourself a favour, buy some much cheaper HD414 pads off ebay before you mod the stock comfies... will help the resale value a lot too!

I assume the SR80s, despite the big ol' hole in the middle, 'lift' the drivers off your ears a fair bit? IMO, distance helps a lot..!

EDIT: I just realised nothing I said answered your question. IMHO they change little after the first few hours burn in, but test them again after 40-50. Maybe the sound refines a little, but to my ears nothing drastic...

A little anecdote, I had a pair of headphones which I burned in with pink noise & I reckon they sounded slightly worse after, so now I have a playlist with one track of every different kind of music I have: like 1 live track, 1 classical track, 1 opera track, 1 punk track, 1 jazz track, 1 acoustic track, 1 hip hop track etc etc - Works very well IMO!

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #726 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the thick foamed comfy pads dull the 'in your faceness' of the sound. Coin modding your pads will open up the 'in your faceness' but they become too shrill, & the bass and very meh.

I sort of wish I hadn't been so eager to mod my pads now I realise they cost £13 to replace...
frown.gif

Still, I've been quite impressed by the sound with the mod I mentioned in my last post...

Do yourself a favour, buy some much cheaper HD414 pads off ebay before you mod the stock comfies... will help the resale value a lot too!

I assume the SR80s, despite the big ol' hole in the middle, 'lift' the drivers off your ears a fair bit? IMO, distance helps a lot..!

EDIT: I just realised nothing I said answered your question. IMHO they change little after the first few hours burn in, but test them again after 40-50. Maybe the sound refines a little, but to my ears nothing drastic...

A little anecdote, I had a pair of headphones which I burned in with pink noise & I reckon they sounded slightly worse after, so now I have a playlist with one track of every different kind of music I have: like 1 live track, 1 classical track, 1 opera track, 1 punk track, 1 jazz track, 1 acoustic track, 1 hip hop track etc etc - Works very well IMO!

10x8ydw.jpg

I anticipated that scenario. The foam within the box has multiple uses.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've already ordered the yellow sennheiser pads. Didn't cut up the stock foam. I'll cut the sennheisers. Sadly, these grey pads I made sound better than the stock ones.

And on the matter of Grado QC...the left and right cups are reversed. When I tell the stereo to output to the left, sound comes out of the side tagged "R".

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #729 of 869
Well I altered my 'foam distancer' mod so it looks a bit less ghetto. Still looks pretty ghetto though. But the sound is much more balanced. More bass, less treble, basically. But more punch and clarity and stock Comfy flats...

DSCF2065-1.JPG

Still, think I might sell these & try out some MS1i's-- Its not that I hate them or anything, they just weren't what I was looking for... Actually, apart from mincing the pads, I'm really glad I bought them. I wanted to 'experience' the Grado sound so much after reading all about them on Head-Fi - no matter what I bought I would have always wished I had some Grado's - now I can rest easy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #730 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went like this:

Sr60->MS-1->SR225->RS1->RS1i->SR60i

shows how great the sr60 is huh?

myk, you've found the headphone that is bang for your money!
biggrin.gif

Quote from headphone.com:

"top sonic 'bang-for-the-buck' value in the entire audio industry=Grado SR60i"
icon10.gif

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #731 of 869
Actually I am enjoying the SR60s more & more. I have a second set of comfys on the way from a very kind head-fier, which I am definitely going to leave as is - they need the foam IMO to tame the highs... Gonna keep em for at least the rest of the year, possibly upgrade again around Xmas...
I think coming from the Phonak Audeo PFEs the sound sig was a bit of a shock, very different! Now my ears have adjusted they keep growing on me...

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #732 of 869
Gave my son a pair of these a few years back. He rarely uses them, but I tried them on the other day for kicks. Best $60 headphones ever. Strikingly similar in tone, if nowhere near the resolution or bandwidth, of my RS-1s.

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #733 of 869
It is good to be back and yet again the SR60 has me amazed. I've been MIA for a while I know...and after more than 3 years since I moved back to India, I have just dug out my SR60s from a box. The cable is a bit wonky but repaired with a tie-wrap. Plugged them into my Sony D-25 CDP, popped in "The Wall" and I was sharing space with Gilmore and company...

These wee headphones really can sing can't they?! Shure SE530PTH, AKG K1000, Senn HD650...all so complicated and fiddly with cables and amplifiers and whatnot.

The simplicity of sound...that is the Grado way.

Long live the SR60s!!

Hello HeadFi...this is a sort of homecoming
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #734 of 869
I love these SR60s I bought to mod. This may be the Grado of choice for modding. Not only is the investment minimal; the SR60s have a great sound from which to get started. I've removed the rear cups, punched out the rear holes, removed the front grill, damped the magnet plate and glued foam on the around the insides and the inside of the button.

My SR60s are wonderful.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #735 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The simplicity of sound...that is the Grado way.

Long live the SR60s!!

Yes! Long live the SR60s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back