The GRADO SR-60 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #571 of 869
How does the brightness of the SR-60 compare to the ER4S? It has been a while since I listened to the two. Does the ER4S sound fuller in the midrange? My most recent Grado experience was with the HF-1 and RS-2. Both sounded quite bright and not too good for brightly-recorded tracks.

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #572 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the brightness of the SR-60 compare to the ER4S? It has been a while since I listened to the two. Does the ER4S sound fuller in the midrange? My most recent Grado experience was with the HF-1 and RS-2. Both sounded quite bright and not too good for brightly-recorded tracks.

The SR-60s have significantly more upper-treble (10kHz-ish) brightness than the ER4, which is comparatively dark in that area. It has marginally more bass presence, and is fairly fuller lower mids. The SR-60 is much brighter in the upper mids than the ER4.

The overall sound is what I would call "brittle" and definitely treble-biased, but certainly not unenjoyable. I don't think I'll be selling them this time around.

Sep 28, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #573 of 869
Received my 60's today....

Count me in the Grado club!
rs1smile.gif

Not like anything you guys didn't already know, but these SR60's are pretty darn impressive. Very clean and crisp. They're sounding great unamped from my 6G iPod. Well worth the $70! Not quie as 'creamy' and 'deep' as my HD650's, but then again they're 1/5th the cost!
tongue.gif

I bought the SR-60's to be my office cans, and they're going to be perfect for it.

A big thank-you to everyone in this thread. Your high praise encouraged me to try Grado, and I'm glad I did!

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #574 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my 60's today....

Count me in the Grado club!
rs1smile.gif

Not like anything you guys didn't already know, but these SR60's are pretty darn impressive. Very clean and crisp. They're sounding great unamped from my 6G iPod. Well worth the $70! Not quie as 'creamy' and 'deep' as my HD650's, but then again they're 1/5th the cost!
tongue.gif

I bought the SR-60's to be my office cans, and they're going to be perfect for it.

A big thank-you to everyone in this thread. Your high praise encouraged me to try Grado, and I'm glad I did!

i've gone through the whole non-metal grado line and the only ones i kept were the sr-60 and the hf-1...w/the hf-1 mostly for collection purposes. i think the sr-60 really is the star of the grado lineup, along with the rs-1.

my only suggestion would be to replace the pads with a pair of the hd-414 sennheiser pads with holes cut in them. nice pickup!

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #575 of 869
I just got my sr-60's today.. i really likethe build and quality of it.. but i proabbly will have to sell them soon, since the comfort wise for me is not too good. I'll probably have to go back with my senihiser.

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #576 of 869
I love my sr60's.

But they will forever stay hidden in my room, unless Biggles and jodphurs come back into fashion!

TheBigglesAdventureOmnibus.jpg

Tally-Ho!
etysmile.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #577 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've gone through the whole non-metal grado line and the only ones i kept were the sr-60 and the hf-1...w/the hf-1 mostly for collection purposes. i think the sr-60 really is the star of the grado lineup, along with the rs-1.

my only suggestion would be to replace the pads with a pair of the hd-414 sennheiser pads with holes cut in them. nice pickup!

I have read the advice of cutting out the middles of the ear pads. So you recommend sennheiser pads? I was thinking of ordering a replacement set of SR60 pads and trying the mod out. What kind of difference does cutting out the middles make? Better highs?

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #578 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigStig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read the advice of cutting out the middles of the ear pads. So you recommend sennheiser pads? I was thinking of ordering a replacement set of SR60 pads and trying the mod out. What kind of difference does cutting out the middles make? Better highs?

- order the Sennheiser HD414 pads (if you aren't allergic to 'yellow' at least) as they can be found cheaper than grado comfies and they are made from softer foam
- do the quarter-mod on those (brings out the highs a bit and makes the sound more airy)
- if you really prefer modded over unmodded, spend $15 on some bowls (opens up the sound even more and introduces you to the 'real' grado sound)

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #579 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- order the Sennheiser HD414 pads (if you aren't allergic to 'yellow' at least) as they can be found cheaper than grado comfies and they are made from softer foam
- do the quarter-mod on those (brings out the highs a bit and makes the sound more airy)
- if you really prefer modded over unmodded, spend $15 on some bowls (opens up the sound even more and introduces you to the 'real' grado sound)

in general the bowls accentuate the highs and reduce (or tame) the bass. detail is also improved, IMO. the quarter (or tealight-size) mod tries to achieve a little of this.

many grado owners here do not prefer the bowls, though. i actually think that bowls are preferable on the hf-1 and the woody grados because the bass is boomy and uncontrolled when using flats. personal preference, probably.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #581 of 869
this is a reverse of he senn 414 reverse mod *double reverse
i cut the holes big enough for the reverse mod, hated the pads reversed, so made them regular again

these's are the only pads i've ever heard w grados, since i bought it used, it came with only (new) senn pads.

does anyone think that the quarter holes are cut too big and that its affecting SQ? i think they sound above average, but not Woah. the reverse mod i thought sounded pretty bad (lack of volume, no intensity)

100_2884.jpg

100_2883.jpg

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #582 of 869
i use unmodded yellow senn pads on my grados (not reversed or inside-out or whatever) Truthfully i just bought them because i needed new pads and they were really cheap and i thought they looked rad. The sound was definitely a little different but i don't know exactly how, maybe a little more up-front with the yellows and a tat bit more bass

is the coin mod worth busting out the scissors for?

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #583 of 869
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will find that you will be missing parts of the songs. At least that is how it is with my 80's. I always feel like something is missing. I think it is mostly air and detail. The 225's have so much more air than the 80's and that also has some of the detail in with it. Other than that I enjoy my 80's at work a lot. It just takes getting used to the difference.

Ahh ok. Makes sense as the 60s would be a step down from the 225s.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #585 of 869
i tried going to bed with these for the first time

lying down on my pillow listening to these, they went from $60 to $200 headphones it felt like, woah, i thought it was amazing. i couldn;t even go to bed, couldnt stop listening to them.

but listening to them today as im on the lappy...back to normal headphones... weird, i need to find some kind of mod to give it that warmer, bassier, all encompassing effect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back