The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #91 of 2,859
Can't wait for some pics
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #92 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-Was there a pre-established limit to the # of HF-1's being produced?

I believe that there was no limit but they established a cutoff date when orders would no longer be accepted. At that time they had 481 orders, therefore that's how many pairs they made. I'd imagine it'll be much the same this time but only Todd knows and I'm pretty sure that he's too busy answering the phone right now to respond.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #93 of 2,859
I am so conflicted over these already. They'd have to be better than RS-1's for me to want them at this price point.

The HF-1 was a spectacular value, IMO. But John Grado was none too happy about what happened with their value in the used/secondary market, with a lot of people selling them at a major premium soon after they were released because they were limited edition.

The HF-1 was meant as a 'thank-you' to head-fiers, and was priced accordingly. I can't help but wonder whether John Grado would be tempted to build in a little more price cushion into these, being that he'd said previously that he'd never issue another "HF" headphone after the price got inflated in the used market.

I'd probably compare the HF-1 to the RS-2, rather than the SR225, myself. More likely something between.

If it emerges that these use the PS-1000 'technology' or at least concept in a value-oriented package, then I'll probably jump on board. While not expensive for most head-fiers, perhaps, these are expensive for me!

May 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #95 of 2,859
i regret selling my hf-1 as well (like fureshi), so am glad that i can get my hands on the hf-2. i have high hopes that it will be either all wood or metal (perhaps similar in size to the rs-2?)...which could justify the price a bit more. i might be a little disappointed if it looks exactly like the hf-1 with a different button.

perhaps it will be somewhere in between. either way, it's great to be involved in another "fundraising" event for head-fi. i hope others will see it this way as well...

May 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #98 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If baby refers to smaller, then why would you think it would be as big. Not even considering the price differences.

Biggie.

I thought 'baby' could also mean 'stripped down/trimmed down. But maybe not.

May 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #99 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If someone has a HF-2 and only bought it to be resold, I would understand that it would make many teeth clenching angry. I feel that is unethical, but if it is in their possession, what can anyone do about it?

You have no idea.
smily_headphones1.gif
Go look at the HF-1 threads from about three years ago. Fights and debates raged over HF-1 resale. I narrowly missed the HF-1 sale, but (ethically
smily_headphones1.gif
) bought mine from a fellow Head-Fi'er here. I won't make that mistake this time - I ordered as soon as I could.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my personal predictameter, but this doesn't make sense to me at all.

First off, the GS-1000 and PS-1000 don't share the same driver. Second, there's no way you're going to get either one of those drivers, let alone the one used in the PS-1000, for $425.

No harm in wishful thinking, but not a chance.

Are you positive that the drivers aren't shared? Grado is extremely tight-lipped about which drivers are used in which models, as well as their suppliers. It is rumored and speculated (by several who know) that slightly modified drivers are shared across models. A little doping, a little damping and a different chamber, and you have a new sound.

Further, $425 is plenty to buy headphone drivers. Do you really think a PS-1000 costs $1,700 to produce? The drivers are probably well under $50 per pair. Do you think the SR-60i is unprofitable? Do you think a RS-1i driver costs ten times as much? The cost is about the same - price structures are there to add perceived value.

It's clear that the HF-2 is not a HF-1 retread. Therefore, it's safe to assume that the RS/SR drivers are not used and it is far more likely that a tweaked GS-1000/PS-1000 driver is used.

As for the cups, they probably will not be wood or metal. A solid wooden cup would undercut GS-1000 sales. A solid metal cup would undercut PS-1000 sales. A plastic/mahogany cup - like the one used in the HF-1 - would fit nicely in the lineup, exactly like how the HF-1 fits at the bottom of the RS line.

Also, I don't believe that GS-1000 sales are as strong as the SR/RS line. I also don't think that the PS-1000 has reached tha large of an audience. So, why not use a modified GS-1000/PS-1000 driver in a less expensive enclosure to build enthusiasm for these highly profitable models? Putting out a HF-2 would reach the most influential Head-Fi'ers, generate lots of chatter here, and prompt people to take a closer look at their two most expensive headphones.

Again, pure speculation, but all the pieces fit together.

May 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #100 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear that each additional cup adds 15.67 hours of necessary burn in time.

Yes I guess I walked into all that......

I'll be honest, I've never even set eyes on Grado cans in the flesh. To me it looks like a design that goes right around the ears rather then sit on top would be more comfortable????

Or do the RS1 cups still go over and around the ears, only more snugly?

May 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #101 of 2,859
I guess I will hold off from buying RS1i for another week
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #102 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have no idea.
smily_headphones1.gif
Go look at the HF-1 threads from about three years ago. Fights and debates raged over HF-1 resale. I narrowly missed the HF-1 sale, but (ethically
smily_headphones1.gif
) bought mine from a fellow Head-Fi'er here. I won't make that mistake this time - I ordered as soon as I could.

Are you positive that the drivers aren't shared? Grado is extremely tight-lipped about which drivers are used in which models, as well as their suppliers. It is rumored and speculated (by several who know) that slightly modified drivers are shared across models. A little doping, a little damping and a different chamber, and you have a new sound.

Further, $425 is plenty to buy headphone drivers. Do you really think a PS-1000 costs $1,700 to produce? The drivers are probably well under $50 per pair. Do you think the SR-60i is unprofitable? Do you think a RS-1i driver costs ten times as much? The cost is about the same - price structures are there to add perceived value.

It's clear that the HF-2 is not a HF-1 retread. Therefore, it's safe to assume that the RS/SR drivers are not used and it is far more likely that a tweaked GS-1000/PS-1000 driver is used.

As for the cups, they probably will not be wood or metal. A solid wooden cup would undercut GS-1000 sales. A solid metal cup would undercut PS-1000 sales. A plastic/mahogany cup - like the one used in the HF-1 - would fit nicely in the lineup, exactly like how the HF-1 fits at the bottom of the RS line.

Also, I don't believe that GS-1000 sales are as strong as the SR/RS line. I also don't think that the PS-1000 has reached tha large of an audience. So, why not use a modified GS-1000/PS-1000 driver in a less expensive enclosure to build enthusiasm for these highly profitable models? Putting out a HF-2 would reach the most influential Head-Fi'ers, generate lots of chatter here, and prompt people to take a closer look at their two most expensive headphones.

I hope this will be true.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

May 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #103 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest ordering the HF-2. If you don't like it, which I doubt, you can always sell it here for a very minimal loss.

More likely, a small profit.

May 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #104 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the design be a big cup filled with an infinite number of ever-smaller cups?

I hardly recognize you with that avatar.

Sorry for going OT.

May 15, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #105 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't see how your theory fits together. if grado is tight lipped about what drivers are used in each model, then we will never actually know, and the looking into the higher end models because of similar drivers will never occur.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back