The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #106 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Wasn't sure if they established 481 as the limit ahead of time for HF-1 and if the HF-2 is open for ordering for a limited time and they will honor all that order.

It was never clear how many would be produced from the beginning if I recall correctly. I think originally Todd stated there would be approximately 400 and I also seem to recall that they were sold out and then a few more were available.

I'm not sure 481 was the number Grado/TTVJ had in mind when they first announced them.

I suspect there will be a similar limit to the HF2 although we may not know what the limit is until we actually hit it.

May 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #107 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure 481 was the number Grado/TTVJ had in mind when they first announced them.

Erik and Nate are correct, my post was unclear.

May 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #108 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that there was no limit but they established a cutoff date when orders would no longer be accepted. At that time they had 481 orders, therefore that's how many pairs they made. I'd imagine it'll be much the same this time but only Todd knows and I'm pretty sure that he's too busy answering the phone right now to respond.
smily_headphones1.gif

Or yeah, maybe that was it. Something along these lines.

Bottom line is if you want one of these you'd better order them now or be prepared to pay $700 when they are sold out by mid June. If you have the cash I can't see how you can go wrong. The HF-1 is an excellent headphone that commands a premium because it is a limited edition. I can't imagine that this is going to be any different.

May 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #109 of 2,859
Well if they'll ship to UK at the same price as in the USA these are worth a punt!

May 15, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #110 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if they'll ship to UK at the same price as in the USA these are worth a punt!

Remember import duty though.

May 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #111 of 2,859
seeing as how the price is high enough to almost buy a used RS1 and a new RS2 I would hope that the HF2 is not of plastic construction.

I've been waiting for a HF2 for the past few years so I'm placing my order shortly
redface.gif

May 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #112 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by linnite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember import duty though.

Import taxed will only add 20%, normally Grado's are 100% more expensive in the UK than USA.

May 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #114 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Import taxed will only add 20%, normally Grado's are 100% more expensive in the UK than USA.

Just making sure you knew to factor it into the price!

May 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #115 of 2,859
Hmm, i have checked prices and the HF-2 has a price very close to the RS2(i).
For the price range it moves between all the headphones I hope it does come with a reference series headband (at least not the vinyl one).

Apart from that the housing might be a hybrid. It is always like that that the special headphones have something different from the typical all plastic/wood body.
Then it would be good if we get some kind of "improved" Y-Split, which I believe it won't happen.

The cables I guess will be as thick as the new models (in the 4 wire type), and the drivers I guess, might be close to the reference series or even statement as a surprise.

All we can do now is wait and see. We can speculate too, but that will only make us want it more. Lets just hope the final product is worth it!

May 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #116 of 2,859
Just some thoughts.

It seems like the HF2 may have a difficult time living up to the expectations set by the HF1. HF1's are renowned for being great "bang for the buck", a steal at the original $199, and even comparable to higher end reference series Grados.

From reading jude's impressions, I get the picture of them being HF1's with just slightly more detail but at over twice the cost.
Quote:

If you loved the HF1's punchy bass response, you'll love the HF2's punchy bass response, only you'll find it more detailed.

If you loved the HF1's midrange--which, to me, was the thing about it most Reference-Series-like--you'll love the HF2's midrange, because it's as rich, but, again, with a smidge more detail there

If you loved the HF1's open yet smooth treble extension, the HF2 will thrill you with the same--it doesn't sound to me as though it reaches any higher, in terms of extension, but it certainly does so in terms of having the ability to be more delicate, more precise.

I'm not saying they won't be a great headphone or good value, but with what we know about them so far it doesn't seem likely that they'll offer the same "bang for the buck" value and impact or create the same devoted following as HF1's. Of course I'm hoping that this will be proven incorrect and Mr. Grado wows us with something truly limited edition and makes us say "these only cost $429?? outrageous!".
smily_headphones1.gif

my 2 cents.

May 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #117 of 2,859
i expect them to be decent headphones. that's about it. the purchase is more of a i like grados, support head-fi, and want a limited edition headphone.

May 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #119 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the real cost of owning these? I'm a relative newbie to headphones and really thinking about getting this. I just don't want to buy a ton of extra pricy stuff to enjoy them.

grados are relatively easy to drive...preferably an amp that provides a lot of current. you can get a good amp to do this for a couple hundred dollars, so it's not that much more added to the price of the headphones.

May 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #120 of 2,859
For example a Little Dot I+ works very good with my grados. You can find other SS amps that will work good with it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back