The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #76 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I owned the D7000s for a few weeks and didn't care for them. They are good solid headphones but just didn't have the sound I was looking for, especially in the midrange. I've owned the HF-1's in the past and, based on memory, preferred them to the D7000s. The HF-1's, and my regrettably sold vintage RS-1, led me down the Grado path to the GS1000s, PS1s, and now my HP2s.

I'd suggest ordering the HF-2. If you don't like it, which I doubt, you can always sell it here for a very minimal loss.

Finally we have a perspective from someone who has heard both the HF-1 and D7000.

So, it's relieving to hear that the HF-1 has better midrange than the D7000. What I really like about the Denon is the texture and/or depth they bring to instruments though, neutral midrange non-withstanding and can you comment how does the HF-1 fare in this area?

And how does the HF-1 fare in the high region? Is it as harsh as the SR series? I can't live with that kind of screechy treble so it's a big no-no for me.

May 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #77 of 2,859
popcorn.gif

May 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #79 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinshin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard any other open phones before? I know people who just do not prefer Grados. Or it could just be that the open sound is not the sound for you and there's nothing wrong with that either
L3000.gif

What kind of music do you listen to mostly? I feel that synthesized music is great with the Denons, like Hip-hop, Techno, Depeche stuff. While the Grados were great with orchestral music, rock, and acoustic recordings; just to name a few for each headphone.

Yeah. I really like the K501 for vocal and acoustics but its lack of bass was the reason I decided to skip them. I don't really like the SR60 and SR80 because presentation is so 2D with them and of course, the screechy high and sibilance. The MS1 was OK but my modded and recabled D2000 best them in most areas.

Hmm... I listen to all kinds of genre but with a preference for female vocal, acoustics, jazz, dance, instrumental (as in movie soundtracks) and slow rock. Due to my general taste, I really need my can to be versatile.

May 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #80 of 2,859
Will the HF-2 be a big cup design like the GS1000/PS1000? Looking at the pic on P1 the HF-1 wasn't.

I know, the 'baby PS1000' tag gives the idea it will be.

May 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #81 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by linnite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the HF-2 be a big cup design like the GS1000/PS1000? Looking at the pic on P1 the HF-1 wasn't.

I know, the 'baby PS1000' tag gives the idea it will be.

If baby refers to smaller, then why would you think it would be as big. Not even considering the price differences.

Biggie.

May 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #82 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And how does the HF-1 fare in the high region? Is it as harsh as the SR series? I can't live with that kind of screechy treble so it's a big no-no for me.

Relatively speaking, I think the HF-1 is more mellow in the highs than its SR brethren. However, that's a relative comparison. In absolute terms, it's still a Grado and sounds like one, and if you don't like the SR series extension (in particular the SR225), then I don't think you would like the HF-1.

May 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #84 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the design be a big cup filled with an infinite number of ever-smaller cups?

I hear that each additional cup adds 15.67 hours of necessary burn in time.

May 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #85 of 2,859
Quote:

Relatively speaking, I think the HF-1 is more mellow in the highs than its SR brethren. However, that's a relative comparison. In absolute terms, it's still a Grado and sounds like one, and if you don't like the SR series extension (in particular the SR225), then I don't think you would like the HF-1.

Thanks. There's an upcoming Grado mini-meet that I hope to attend so I can properly audition them for once so hopefully it will help my decision. The MS-Pro didn't really impress me back then though so I don't know what to expect honestly.

Hmm... is there any sibilance with the HF-1 and SR225 though?

May 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #86 of 2,859
When will be more information be available?
I just don't feel safe to put $429 on some words only....

May 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #87 of 2,859
"Long story short, the Grado HF1 was actually released, each headphone serial numbered, and each box serial numbered and signed by John Grado. The limited production of HF1's started with serial number 001 (which I have on my head, listening to Bucky Pizzarelli as I type this) and ended with 481. With its unique construction--the plastic outer shell of the Prestige Series Grado headphones, but with an interior made of mahogany--the HF1 was truly a model of its own, its sound signature unlike the other Prestige Series models. Many considered it more sonically in kinship with the Reference Series Grado headphones (myself included), and I personally feel it was (at its retail price of $200.00) the best bang-for-the-buck audiophile headphone that had ever been released. The Grado HF1 remains one of the most sought after Grado headphones to this day, years after the last one left Brooklyn and Three Forks."

Questions for those in the know:
-What Grado most resembles the HF-1?
-Was there a pre-established limit to the # of HF-1's being produced?
-Did the HF1 come with a storage case or just a signed box?

Thanks.

May 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #88 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Questions for those in the know:
-What Grado most resembles the HF-1?
-Was there a pre-established limit to the # of HF-1's being produced?
-Did the HF1 come with a storage case or just a signed box?

Thanks.

IMO, the HF-1 most resembles the 225 with an added touch of smoothness.

I believe Jude's post indicates 481.

Signed cardboard (aka pizza) box.

May 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #89 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... is there any sibilance with the HF-1 and SR225 though?

I would say that both show some sibilance, which is the reason I tend not to be able to use Grados for extended listening. Others may disagree. Regardless, I found the HF-1 to be less fatiguing than most other Grados.

May 15, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #90 of 2,859
Quote:

IMO, the HF-1 most resembles the 225 with an added touch of smoothness.

I believe Jude's post indicates 481.

Signed cardboard (aka pizza) box.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if they established 481 as the limit ahead of time for HF-1 and if the HF-2 is open for ordering for a limited time and they will honor all that order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back