The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #61 of 2,859
Man, I can't justify making a purchase like that at this time.

I certainly hope there will be an HF-3 for me to buy =(

How long ago did the HF-1 get released?

May 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #63 of 2,859
Wow... bad timing!
biggrin.gif
I really want a pair, but can't afford it at this time.
frown.gif
If it remains available at the same price in a month or two, I might pick it up then. If not, I'll just have to live vicariously through those lucky folks who picked up a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #64 of 2,859
if i order now how can he charge shipping? or is it charged when he actually sends it out?

May 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #65 of 2,859
Hmm... this is quite a dilemma. If I buy this, it means that the D7000 will have to wait until much later and if the D7000 turns out to be better than the HF-2 then I'm going to kick myself real hard.

A baby PS-1000 does sound really tempting though. I really dislike the harsh highs and sibilance in the SR series and if this HF-2 is going to have none of that, perhaps it's the perfect opportunity for me to experience the Grado sound.

May 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #67 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If TTVJ says these sound like a baby PS-1000, then it's probably safe to assume they use the GS-1000/PS-1000 driver and large earcups.

Keeping with the HF-1, I might suppose the HF-2 also has a plastic outer cup with mahogany on the inside.

Just speculation, but it makes sense to me.

Just my personal predictameter, but this doesn't make sense to me at all.

First off, the GS-1000 and PS-1000 don't share the same driver. Second, there's no way you're going to get either one of those drivers, let alone the one used in the PS-1000, for $425.

No harm in wishful thinking, but not a chance.

May 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #68 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... this is quite a dilemma. If I buy this, it means that the D7000 will have to wait until much later and if the D7000 turns out to be better than the HF-2 then I'm going to kick myself real hard.

A baby PS-1000 does sound really tempting though. I really dislike the harsh highs and sibilance in the SR series and if this HF-2 is going to have none of that, perhaps it's the perfect opportunity for me to experience the Grado sound.

I think the D7000s and HF-2s, or any Denon vs Grado is going to be about personal preference more than anything else rather than which is sonically "better" (which is also very subjective). I say this because I own a pair of D2000s and SR225s now I like them both very much because both produce two very different sounds (closed vs open). If you are interested in the Grado sound then I'd say you should go with the HF-2s knowing that they will not always be readily available like the D7000s. Good luck with your decision!

May 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #69 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinshin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the D7000s and HF-2s, or any Denon vs Grado is going to be about personal preference more than anything else rather than which is sonically "better" (which is also very subjective). I say this because I own a pair of D2000s and SR225s now I like them both very much because both produce two very different sounds (closed vs open). If you are interested in the Grado sound then I'd say you should go with the HF-2s knowing that they will not always be readily available like the D7000s. Good luck with your decision!

Indeed. This is very difficult.

Let's say that MS-Pro didn't really impress me when I heard it since it's the only high-end Grado/Alessandro I've ever heard. Will I have the same reaction towards the HF-2?

May 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #70 of 2,859
after regretting having sold my HF1, i'm glad that Grado is putting out another special can for head-fi. it's great to see that they are giving back to head-fi the support that we have given them over the years. and who else better to do this with than Todd! order placed. can't wait to get them and unfortunately i'll be in San Antonio for a conference instead of canjam.
frown.gif

May 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #71 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaipat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can we order from Asia?

Some can. You though sir, cannot.

IMO the limits on members should have been a bit more stringent.

May 15, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #72 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, the GS-1000 and PS-1000 don't share the same driver.

how do you know that?

May 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #73 of 2,859
Quote:

FWIW, I owned the D7000s for a few weeks and didn't care for them. They are good solid headphones but just didn't have the sound I was looking for, especially in the midrange. I've owned the HF-1's in the past and, based on memory, preferred them to the D7000s. The HF-1's, and my regrettably sold vintage RS-1, led me down the Grado path to the GS1000s, PS1s, and now my HP2s.

I'd suggest ordering the HF-2. If you don't like it, which I doubt, you can always sell it here for a very minimal loss.

May 15, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #74 of 2,859
Quote:

Indeed. This is very difficult.

Let's say that MS-Pro didn't really impress me when I heard it since it's the only high-end Grado/Alessandro I've ever heard. Will I have the same reaction towards the HF-2?

Have you heard any other open phones before? I know people who just do not prefer Grados. Or it could just be that the open sound is not the sound for you and there's nothing wrong with that either
L3000.gif

What kind of music do you listen to mostly? I feel that synthesized music is great with the Denons, like Hip-hop, Techno, Depeche stuff. While the Grados were great with orchestral music, rock, and acoustic recordings; just to name a few for each headphone.

May 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #75 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you know that?

I don't with 100% absolute certainty, but I'm simply amazed by the amount of people going around stating that they do based off assumption and hearsay. It's as though one person made the statement, I believe Blackmore was the first to assume it, and everyone just ran with it. Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Based on the few impressions we have received so far, specifically Sanderman's, it's quite obvious to me that they do not share the same driver. It's much, much more likely that the use a tweaked version(or maybe even not tweaked at all) of the PS-1 driver than a GS1000 driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back