The Grado HF2--It's For Real
May 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #121 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the real cost of owning these? I'm a relative newbie to headphones and really thinking about getting this. I just don't want to buy a ton of extra pricy stuff to enjoy them.

If you decide to an amp and don't want to spend too much, I'd suggest looking at the Little-dots; plenty of information on them in the amp forum.

May 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #123 of 2,859
Hi All,

The speculation will come to an end at CanJam. This was and has been its intended unveiling. Stay tuned here for the start of CanJam in 15 days and you will know all there is to know about it.

One thing I can assure you is that I think the headphone is a very good buy and that I will back that with my 30 day money back guarantee. And yes, I know I am the one selling it but I am willing to back up my words... guaranteed!

Also, it is a limited edition - and once the time and/or total sales has been reached there will be no more of the HF-2. It is not going away in the immediate future - I will try to give everyone fair notice as to when the end is near.

There were exactly 486 of the HF-1 made.

Todd

May 15, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #124 of 2,859
15 days can be a lot of time, don't you think Todd? :p
Can you be more precise on how good the "very good price" is?

¿Kind of like the Phonak PFE?

Note: Just writing knowing you will avoid to answer, but hell I am having fun
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #126 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....It seems like the HF2 may have a difficult time living up to the expectations set by the HF1. HF1's are renowned for being great "bang for the buck", a steal at the original $199, and even comparable to higher end reference series Grados....

No doubt about it, the HF1 set up some very high expectations. It will always be hard to beat the bang-for-the-buck that the HF1 was at its original price of $200. Like I said, it was (and maybe still is) the best bang-for-the-buck headphone I've come across to this day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....From reading jude's impressions, I get the picture of them being HF1's with just slightly more detail but at over twice the cost....

The HF2 is not the HF1, though they do sound of the same family, no doubt. To my ears, the HF2 is simply the better headphone, and extra refinement overall is nothing to sneeze at if you're an audiophile. I think even those that still own the HF1 will be a generally very happy bunch when they get their HF2's. Of course, those few who aren't will almost certainly be able to (at least) get their money back by selling them on the used market.

As for it being more than twice the original price of the HF1: That's certainly accurate. Again, the HF1 was extraordinary at the price, to my ears (and the ears of many others). But 481 of them are out there, and that's it. And if you want the HF-1 now, you'll have to get it used, and probably for not a heck of a lot less (if at all less) than the HF-2 today (which, again, to me, is a better headphone).

All that said, I'm not going to try to convince you that the HF2 is worth it to you. Listen to it if you can get your ears on it and decide for yourself. I have a feeling that no matter what I say, every unit made will end up being spoken for anyway--so there will undoubtedly be an HF2 for you to listen to at local meets at some point. By then, however, if you do decide you like it, you may have to go to the used market for one--and, at that point, I don't think you'll be concerned about whether or not it's worth it for $429, as there's probably a good chance that $429 will be as in-the-past as the HF1 at $200.

By the way, I regret not buying myself a second HF1, but, as with the HF2, part of the spirit of the thing was a maximum of one HF1 per member, and I abided by it--the jude abides.
wink.gif
However, if anyone here has an excellent condition, functions-perfectly, unmodified HF-1 he's willing to sell for even $250 plus shipping (a 25% premium over the original sale price), I kid you not when I say I'll buy it from you now. (No joke, PM me if you fit that bill.)

May 15, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #129 of 2,859
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All that said, I'm not going to try to convince you that the HF2 is worth it to you. Listen to it if you can get your ears on it and decide for yourself. I have a feeling that no matter what I say, every unit made will end up being spoken for anyway--so there will undoubtedly be an HF2 for you to listen to at local meets at some point. By then, however, if you do decide you like it, you may have to go to the used market for one--and, at that point, I don't think you'll be concerned about whether or not it's worth it for $429, as there's probably a good chance that $429 will be as in-the-past as the HF1 at $200.

I placed my order this morning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to hearing/seeing them at canjam.

I'm copying jude's $250 WTB HF1 offer as well, of course he's first in line for the incoming flood of takers.
wink.gif

May 15, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #131 of 2,859
Who would want to sell their HF-1 knowing they can sell them for more than that?

May 15, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #132 of 2,859
I think people need to get past the price. You either want this phone or you don't. It is a special edition for this community only. To think about it in terms of relative dollar value and possible appreciation misses the point.

May 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #133 of 2,859
This effectively cuts the market for used HF-1's, IMO. If I had an HF-1, I'd be selling it now.

That's what I find especially interesting- these new cans have the potential to influence the pricing of other grados, even though they're limited edition.

I would guess that John Grado has given very careful thought to that issue in his choice of price and quality for the HF-2. I'm slightly skeptical that these will be on the same level of bang-for-buck value that the HF-1's were, initially.

May 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #134 of 2,859
Just for preparedness sake will buyers need to buy an aftermarket leather headband or is that not an issue? How about pads, are there any other pads we may want to buy so we have them on hand when these arrive? Yeah I know these won't be answered as it would give too much away. I'm just curious if these will have a crappy vinyl headband or a leather one. I'd be curious if flats will work on these. But telling us that would eliminate the speculation on whether the design uses the jumbo pads or the regular sized bowls. How about the cable, any hints? Four wires or three wires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back