The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Oct 8, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #1,036 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats with the HF-2s flooding the 'Headphones for Sale' forum??

Flooding? I wouldn't say that, considering how many pair went in circulation at approximately the same time. Grados just aren't everybody's cup of tea, limited or not. I'm probably going to sell mine as well...not because they're bad, just that they're not my Denons.
atsmile.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,037 of 1,528
I'm sure it's that the economy is tight, and the HF2s have a high market value that makes them worth selling if you need the money...I know I've been tempted to sell mine.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #1,038 of 1,528
These babies sound incredible with electronic and classical! I actually like them better for these genres than with rock/metal, probably because I feel my speakers have an edge on them for the latter.

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #1,039 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These babies sound incredible with electronic and classical! I actually like them better for these genres than with rock/metal, probably because I feel my speakers have an edge on them for the latter.

Yes, they're awesome for classical. I didn't expect that at all.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #1,041 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not sell my at all, they sound so good with the jumbo/bagels pads. I like them better than HD650 but everyone has different setup and taste in sound. I guess thats why a few people is selling them now......

I like them better than HD650, but not better than my re-cabled HD600.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #1,042 of 1,528
I should be more specific on the comment since the HF2 sound different with different pads and setup.

I like "Balanced" HF2 with jumbos/bagels pads better than "Balanced" APS V3 HD650 driven by the same setup. Thats why i'm selling the cable and headphone...

But "stock" single ended HF2 is not my cup of tea...I can see why there are some for sale now....

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #1,043 of 1,528
I would love to try a balanced pair of HF2's. Maybe someday I'll buy a balanced amp.

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #1,044 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should be more specific on the comment since the HF2 sound different with different pads and setup.

I like "Balanced" HF2 with jumbos/bagels pads better than "Balanced" APS V3 HD650 driven by the same setup. Thats why i'm selling the cable and headphone...

But "stock" single ended HF2 is not my cup of tea...I can see why there are some for sale now....

I've been reluctant to put a 4-pin XLR on my HF-2 #24 because the cable is too short to enjoy with my ZDT. So I'd have to buy a costly 4-pin extension or re-cable them with a 9-10 foot cable. I don't want to mess too much with a rare collector item since only the 1st 24 of these had the correct engraving.

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #1,045 of 1,528
My impressions: They are sexy. Very sexy. I'd actually be willing to wear these in public. Everyone who has seen them on my head has remarked that they look good.

They're not very comfortable, but I knew this would be the case. They bowls seem to press on the very top of my ear. They also clamp a bit but I should be able to solve this with a few books.

They sound pretty good. I mean so far they just sound like another Grado to me. They're still reasonably bright. They're also decently airy compared to other Grados' but TBH the soundstage is not any bigger than what I remember of my MS1's. Maybe a little bit but not much. They're reasonably bassy at this point although it has tightened up since yesterday. The mids are typical nice Grado.

Maybe I'll warm to them because at the moment I don't really think they're worth all I payed for them.

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #1,046 of 1,528
I had my hf2s reterminated with 4pin (sn20) at canjam, minutes after Todd handed them to me. I use a mogami 4pin extension cable, and am quite pleased with the results. It's easy to start with one extension cable and upgrade to a different one later, certainly much easier than recabling.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #1,047 of 1,528
Now that I have two APS V3 cables for HD600 (one 4-pin one 1/8") plus a balanced Fidelity-Audio cable for HD600, I'm thinking maybe I should just go ahead and send my 6-foot 4-pin APS V3 cable to Alex to install onto the HF-2. Hmmm...

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #1,048 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They bowls seem to press on the very top of my ear. They also clamp a bit but I should be able to solve this with a few books.

Just a thought. If you ever plan to try the bagels you wouldn't want them any looser.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #1,049 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I have two APS V3 cables for HD600 (one 4-pin one 1/8") plus a balanced Fidelity-Audio cable for HD600, I'm thinking maybe I should just go ahead and send my 6-foot 4-pin APS V3 cable to Alex to install onto the HF-2. Hmmm...

Maybe you could take the F1 HF-2 of your son for recable and let the rare FI like it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Else, it is only a headphone. Appreciate it.

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #1,050 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reluctant to put a 4-pin XLR on my HF-2 #24 because the cable is too short to enjoy with my ZDT. So I'd have to buy a costly 4-pin extension or re-cable them with a 9-10 foot cable. I don't want to mess too much with a rare collector item since only the 1st 24 of these had the correct engraving.

Well it depends on how you look at things. If you like the sound and listen to them a lot and have balanced setup then why not put 4pin XLR on it. But if you a collector then i would leave it stock. As for the cable just DIY a 4pin to 4pin extension cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back