The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #751 of 1,528
Had my HF2's since 8/22. Probably only 12 hrs on them, right out of the box I was impressed. Sounds nothing like the MS2i's that I owned at one time and nothing like the GS1000 that I auditioned at length some time ago. These cans rock with remastered 70's-80's rock music. Slightly bright, crisp and crunchy sound with bass (impact). Acoustic guitar music sounds very nice thru the HF2's. Early listening results at best but I am quite surprised at what they sound like and IMO are the most un-Grado sounding Grado's ever.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #753 of 1,528
These do better with age. After some of the FOTM and upselling for people to get more money selling these. Id like a good comparison between the HF-2 and PS1000. Maybe Zanth could enlighten me on exactly the changes between the 2 and the upgrade I hear rips even L3000 bass.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #754 of 1,528
Seriously.... The amount of HF2's i have seen the last couple of days in the FS forum is quite large.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #755 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously.... The amount of HF2's i have seen the last couple of days in the FS forum is quite large.

Really now? How many are being sold and for how much....

It's gonna suck If people start selling them for over 1000....

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #756 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Uam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not if it can effectively subsidize a pair of JH13pro's for yours truly.
tongue_smile.gif

I think it will be possible over the next few months for head-fiers to pick up lightly used HF-2's on the FS forum for close to their retail price.

A lot depends on how these cans are reviewed as time goes on. Part of the reason the HF-1's appreciated in price was because they actually performed above their initial price.

Personally, I don't yet have a sense for how the HF-2 will be viewed in the greater context of the Grado lineup. Beyond a certain point, though, there's a natural limitation to how high they can go.

It seems that they're neither better nor worse than the RS-1. As a result, I doubt that they'll get too far from the price of the RS-1 before buyers will just go for the similar-performing alternative at a lower price.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #757 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Uam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have seen 2 sold so far and a few more are up including one with an amp.... I suppose some people expected more from them.

Below are just from the last week or few days... So meh..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...ayment-441919/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-grado-hf2-440960/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-eu-nl-435865/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...a-gold-441767/

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #758 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen 2 sold so far and 3 more are up including one with an amp.... I suppose some people expected more from them.

Below are just from the last week or few days... So meh..

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...ayment-441919/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-grado-hf2-440960/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-eu-nl-435865/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...a-gold-441767/

Not having heard them, I've had a very tricky time trying to get a sense for them based on reviews. My sense is that they're not world-beaters. I expect they'll be compared to the RS-1, with individual preferences accounting for users decision to use one or the other.

One thing that has to be mentioned about both the HF-1 and the HF-2 is that they offer a different sound signature from the typical Grado. Therefore, there are people who like the darker HF-series Grado's who don't like other models. That's what I believe created a lot of the popularity around the HF-1.

People that might think the RS-1 is a technically superior headphone may still choose the HF-2 because of it's more palatable sound signature.

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #759 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that they're neither better nor worse than the RS-1. As a result, I doubt that they'll get too far from the price of the RS-1 before buyers will just go for the similar-performing alternative at a lower price.

I would say they are different enough from RS1 to not be consider a cheaper or dearer alternative.
There are one or two HF2 for sale at good prices in the last couple of days. My advice for people who missed out before would be to get them quick!

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #760 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say they are different enough from RS1 to not be consider a cheaper or dearer alternative.
There are one or two HF2 for sale at good prices in the last couple of days. My advice for people who missed out before would be to get them quick!

Good point, which I hinted at in my following post.

I *almost* avoided ordering the HF-2 because I figured that there would be a wave of sell-offs after most people had received their headphone, and I am so far down on the list that I thought I'd actually get them sooner by buying them used.

I also suspected that they wouldn't go for big $$ in the first couple of months that they're on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if the going rate is around $700 a year from now...

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #762 of 1,528
Going back to similar days of the HF-1. Relatively few were sold-off at first. Then, many of those not sent to Headphile for modding were sold at double the orig. price. Later, prices began to see/saw around, and nasty posts were put up against those who asked the higher prices. I know of a gal, in order to avoid such posts a year later, put hers up for sale on eBay.......and ended up getting $250 for them.
fast forward to the HF-2.
Mine have 300 hours on them and I equate them with RS-1, but different. IMO a significantly better buy than than the first HF's. But, this time around - modding is not the clear option it was in the past. Plus, many referencing the experience of the past, may be hoping to expect a profitable sale.......so, more may become available on the open market. Personally, I regard them as keepers. Yes, I've been considering the idea of having mine turned into Vixen, but, not yet sure if doing it will truly make them "better". One of the vexing considerations is the difference in ear/driver distance and its' effect on both bass and mids in this particular instance. Larry makes a statement that the drivers are placed closer to the ear (presumably offsetting the depth of the Beyer Earpads).....but, you've still no way of knowing the overall effect without bitting the bullet and having the mod..

Aug 26, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #764 of 1,528
Just received #342 and am listening to them now... out of the box they sound pretty good but have room for improvment. Some female vocals sound a bit nasaly and the soundstage feels more confined than I'd like. Guitars have that nice Grado energy and precussion seems rendered well with good attack and acceptable decay. I'm interested to see how they open up after some burn in but so far I'd say they sound pretty good.

edit - skipping through some different genres of music I'm not really finding anything that shines with these, jack of all trades master of none? Time will tell... as far as the PS-1 comparo goes I agree they share some similarities but that's it... PS-1 is still in a different world to my ears.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #765 of 1,528
Wow!Are there any left?The RS1s were the only headphone to give me an immediate detail filled, and a "wow" listening experience!And some opinions are favouring the HF2 over the RS1!And they are almost have their price?And some individuals are returning them because of an engraved 1 instead of an I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back