The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #721 of 1,528
Have about 500 hours on my pair (#108) and just received my bagels from my local deli in Bozman, MT. I have to say that they change the whole presentation. Greater soundstage, a pronounced smoothing of the base and equally telling change in the treble. Those that like the "hot" sound of the 325i, with a lot more soundstage will love this combination. More detail, an extended treble, and a more pronounced high. It seems that these bagels are increasing the sound spectrum from the stock bowls. I personally think that this is the way John meant them to sound, but the extra $50 in price would have brought them too close to the RS-1's. I don't know...... I guess I like them better by about 20% if that makes any sense. Also, they are a lot more comfortable (I never thought that the bowls were uncomfortable by the way).

Well, off I go in search of some good cream cheese. Good listening my friends.!

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #722 of 1,528
Just fascinated by the commentary on Natalie Merchant. I imagine her vocals will sound wonderful on the HF2s. Since I am still waiting for mine, I am relegated to commenting on stuff like this. Saw her in concert in 1989 (dating myself here) in Austin, Tx. She was so stoned that no one could understand her. She sang three songs and ended up sitting on an amp for what seemed like an eternity. Went back stage and then rallied to sing only decently for the remainder. I saw her at her worst. Now back to our regular scheduled programming.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #725 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have about 500 hours on my pair (#108) and just received my bagels from my local deli in Bozman, MT. I have to say that they change the whole presentation. Greater soundstage, a pronounced smoothing of the base and equally telling change in the treble. Those that like the "hot" sound of the 325i, with a lot more soundstage will love this combination. More detail, an extended treble, and a more pronounced high. It seems that these bagels are increasing the sound spectrum from the stock bowls. I personally think that this is the way John meant them to sound, but the extra $50 in price would have brought them too close to the RS-1's. I don't know...... I guess I like them better by about 20% if that makes any sense. Also, they are a lot more comfortable (I never thought that the bowls were uncomfortable by the way).

i agree. i get a feeling John intentionally hid this from us, knowing that we would discover it eventually. good to finally hear some bagel impressions from others; makes me feel...vindicated?
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #726 of 1,528
My HF2's have about 90 hours of burn-in and so far I am very pleased. These did not exhibit the extended treble harshness that I have heard w/ other Grado's during the first 100 hours of operation, sure look forward to how they sound w/ 200 hours of burn in. So far very pleased! Cheers.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #727 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, it looks like I will probably have to try out these Bagels, as the bowls seem very uncomfortable after a short amount of time. I do think $50 is a little excessive for foam pads though. And while I'm at I will vent about the very short cable on these phones. I've never seen a shorter cable on a set of headphones before. Initially I had to wear these with the cable at the back of my head, and my amp is not that far away, not a problem with any other headphones I have. So after spending another $40 for a Grado headphone extension, I can finally use these as intended. Other than that I'm pretty impressed with sound overall, Bass is very good on these.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #728 of 1,528
PSA: running pink noise is at least twice as effective at burning-in your new phones compared to burn-in with just music.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #730 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this opinion or fact ^^^?
If it's fact, any links to resources?

I think it's limited to being an opinion as the presupposed concept of burn-in is essentially an opinion as well (certainly by no argument a fact).

Nonetheless, I agree with the opinion (as well as, of course, the notion of burn-in as presupposition) based on first-hand experiences. Perhaps not as dramatic as 200%, but noticeable.

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #732 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bagels + hf2 have arrived at home. I'll be able to listen to them tomorrow afternoon!

Need to get some Head-fi slang right here. When you say "BAGELS" - do you then mean the GS-1000/PS-1000 Grado pads???
ph34r.gif

...and then there is the "Salad-bowls" - please help...

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #733 of 1,528
"Salad Bowls" GS1000 pads are not
"Bagels" GS1000 pads are
Think....cream cheese with those pads.

"Salad Bowls" were a prototype of the GS1000 Grados and never produced or released to the public.

grado-top.jpg

The phone in the middle(it's quite obvious which ones are them) are the "salad bowls".

grado-42.jpg

grado-44.jpg

grado-43.jpg

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #734 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PSA: running pink noise is at least twice as effective at burning-in your new phones compared to burn-in with just music.

I'm not sure how you are defining effective? Do you mean that burn in time is reduced in half w pink noise? Pretty hard to substantiate that claim, I'd say

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #735 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it looks like I will probably have to try out these Bagels, as the bowls seem very uncomfortable after a short amount of time. I do think $50 is a little excessive for foam pads though. And while I'm at I will vent about the very short cable on these phones. I've never seen a shorter cable on a set of headphones before. Initially I had to wear these with the cable at the back of my head, and my amp is not that far away, not a problem with any other headphones I have. So after spending another $40 for a Grado headphone extension, I can finally use these as intended. Other than that I'm pretty impressed with sound overall, Bass is very good on these.

I can almost reach out and touch my amp, but have to use an extension chord too. I am lucky enough however to have been given one with my RS1i a while back, so its all goooooood!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back