The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Aug 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #631 of 1,528
Aug 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #632 of 1,528
Hey - my HF-2's came in yesterday (they are awesome!). And my first DAC, the Cambridge DacMagic came in today - having an issue and need your help. I use USB and RCA out and am getting a significant buzzing with music. No buzzing when there is no source, but as soon as source kicks in it starts and is continuous. Help!

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #633 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
strange...but the more i listen to the HF2's with the jumbo bowls, the more i'm reminded of the HD650. it seems to have the same wonderful qualities that the HD650 does (but less dark); spacious soundstage, incredible depth, smooth mids. but with a Grado signature sound. when using the jumbo bowls, i noticed that the treble isn't so bad if you turn the volume a notch down. it actually sounds better at lower volume levels having that same great energy. the jumbo bowls seems to let me hear everything with much better detail than before and enhances the HF2's best qualities (that crisp sound, tonal richness, and awesome bass definition). separation of instruments and imaging is much better. when listening to rock, however, the guitars sound more distant and less in your face. it still rocks but just not as hard as using regular bowls. i think jumbo bowls would be better with classical music since that's what they say about the GS1000 too.

one thing is for sure though..the salad bowls make them much more enjoyable. i can't seem to get enough and get them off my head.
evil_smiley.gif

Well I'm glad I've got bagels and flats coming with mine, I also have SR60-style comfies unmodded to try so that ought to cover about every pad configuration
smily_headphones1.gif
The only thing that worries me is the 200 hour++ burnin before I decide on pads heh. I may end up keeping the bagels for classical then but use bowls for everything else, it wounds like flats will have too much bass emphasis since these are already a little bassy for Grados.

For those who want to know - I ordered June 1st and was charged Friday so they're shipping this week. I hope they'll arrive before the weekend if not then Monday.

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #634 of 1,528
highly recommend everyone try the bagel/jumbo pads. they take the HF2 to another level and surpasses the RS1 in every aspect IMO. much better dynamics, detail, impact and soundscape.

the HF2 with jumbo bowl pads is the jack of all trades of headphones, taking the qualities of the 325i, RS1, and HD650, and putting them all into one. a very special headphone and currently getting the most head time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #635 of 1,528
Quote:

highly recommend everyone try the bagel/jumbo pads. they take the HF2 to another level and surpasses the RS1 in every aspect IMO. much better dynamics, detail, impact and soundscape.

the HF2 with jumbo bowl pads is the jack of all trades of headphones, taking the qualities of the 325i, RS1, and HD650, and putting them all into one. a very special headphone and currently getting the most head time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm... Thanks for giving us opinion of using this jumbo pads on this headphones.

Wondering why Zanth hasn't give his opinion yet...

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #636 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wondering why Zanth hasn't give his opinion yet...

Maybe because I'm insanely busy and my daughter just had surgery? Yes, that might be it. No conspiracy here folks, I merely have a lot on my plate and sitting down reviewing headphones is about the last thing on my to do list.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #637 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because I'm insanely busy and my daughter just had surgery? Yes, that might be it. No conspiracy here folks, I merely have a lot on my plate and sitting down reviewing headphones is about the last thing on my to do list.

Hey Zanth, don't get angry. As I said I was just wondering. You have your reasons and that's it. Hope things go well with your daughter.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #638 of 1,528
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

No kidding. What's your audio chain look like? Are you using anything that might soften detail, such as a tube amp?

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #639 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdaq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No kidding. What's your audio chain look like? Are you using anything that might soften detail, such as a tube amp?

yeah, i have it driven by the mapletree. my audio chain can be seen in my sig. i also had the HF2 driven by the Beresford and the Gilmore Lite with good results, haven't tried the D10 yet..

i thought i'd just throw this out there, but i find that the RS1i sounds congested in comparison, now that i go back to it from using the HF2 with jumbo bowls. i also tried it with gaming last night and it sounds pretty good (provided by the imaging), but not as good with movies. i still prefer the RS1 for movies.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #642 of 1,528
well for movies, i feel that the RS1 is better because it sounds more focused, it allows me to hear all the background noises going on in the movie, while the HF2 with jumbo pads don't let me hear that background stuff going on. soundstage may be a bit exaggerated for movies.

no distancers, just the jumbo pads.

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #645 of 1,528
HAHA blasphemy! Not to sound like a bad internet meme but I have those exact same plates! ,

as for the pads, Nice. I have to get myself a pair now. dang you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back