The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
Jul 30, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #406 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried them with HD414 pads yet?

I have. On the HF-2, the pad gets stretched so tightly and becomes so thin that it feels as if the ear is being pressed directly into contact with the driver enclosure. To my ear, it's too close a proximity for a sound that I'd care to listen to. On the SR225 enclosures, the pad fit is not so tight, so the pad remains thicker and it feels and sounds perfect to me. On the HF-2, the TTVF Flat pad is the one that my ear prefers. Really well-worn, or squashed, bowls are also pads that I particularly enjoy on the HF-2. My personal favorites on the HF-2, though, are the TTVJ Flats.

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #407 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my HF1 HF2's today, and I gotta say with absolute certainty, that these cans sound completely awful right out of the box. The bass is bloated and overbearing, the mids are recessed and the highs are downright painful.
eek.gif
The cable is too short and where they join they Y connector, both the left and right cables are pinched in an horrible way. The glue is another chapter in the novel, altogether. I'm willing to handle that with a grain of salt. It is what it is and one either has to eat crow or send them back.

With that said, I must point out that I am one of the biggest proponents of burn-in on this forum. I have owned many expensive but "junk pile bound" components that turn from Shrek to Prince Charming in just one hundred hours.
Many people here who's opinions that I trust totally have said that these HF-2's are a world class sounding headphone. I know that they will be. I'm looking forward to many future nirvanic hours of musical bliss with me and my new addition to my audio collection.

What's my point? My point is that if these headphones transition from trailer trash to Trump tower in the next 250-500 hours, then it should be regarded as the poster child to provide proof positive that burn-in is totally a factual process and anyone who doesn't believe in it, needs to take the ride from Red Hook to Rodeo Drive and come out of their cocoon.

A headphone changing from "trailer trash" to "Trump tower" from 250-500 hours of burn-in? That's ****ing nonsense.

I'm not sure any amount of burn-in is going to rectify the sound you already hear.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #409 of 1,528
Perhaps, the FOTM status has faded...
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #410 of 1,528
mine sounded great straight from the box clearly discernable from hf-1 I dunno what he means.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #416 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YGPM.

That was fast! Lol! =)

Anyway, I've been trying not to visit this topic a bit. it only fuels my longing to recive mine.
redface.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #417 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps, the FOTM status has faded...
evil_smiley.gif

nonsense... i just got it a few hours ago... and i've been enjoy it straight outta the box ... plugged into a plain jane amp ampin the line-out of an ipod too... certainly no fancy rig but man this is FUN!

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #418 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_4_Dog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nonsense... i just got it a few hours ago... and i've been enjoy it straight outta the box ... plugged into a plain jane amp ampin the line-out of an ipod too... certainly no fancy rig but man this is FUN!

Gotta agree. Mine arrived yesterday and sound good to me. Bass is fine, the mids are there and nothing harsh in the highs.

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #420 of 1,528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A headphone changing from "trailer trash" to "Trump tower" from 250-500 hours of burn-in? That's ****ing nonsense.

OK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah immtbiker...whadya gettin' at? Get to the point, dude and don't be beatin' round da bush?

I'm sorry. Was driving all over the road?
normal_smile .gif

My main point being, that aside from the cosmetic defects and less than stellar build quality, the sound of these (and most good headphones) sound pretty crappy out of the box, and that if people say these sound really good, then I'm eager to hear them after some time has been put on them. I have 15 hours so far and the highs are too painful for me and the bass is strong but all over the place. The mids are hiding behind the bass.

For those who are getting good results right out of the box, I see 3 possibilities. 1- They never heard a really good headphone (which I doubt is the case). 2- It's going to sound really incredible to them later on if it sounds good now. ...and 3- I received a pair that sounds really bad.

I can either leave them alone and bring them to local Head-Fiers to give a listen, or let them run for a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back