The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Aug 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #406 of 1,132
Quote:
Thank you Acix for all your information regarding the gmp 8.35D.
After reading your review and a couple other reviews (there aren't many) I decided to buy the GMP 8.35D, to replace my sennheiser HD25-1 II.
I found the HD25-1 not really suited as a headphone outside DJ applications and such, it goes loud, the bass is tight has pretty good detail but the sound is pretty hars (sibilance! and way too forward mids) and there is no soundstage whatsoever.

The HD25-1 II only works for really laid back, and warm music IMO, for instance hars metal and rock will sound way too forward and hars. Not sure what all the praise is about.

I'm pretty sure the GMP 8.35D will sound much better, but I'm still a bit concerned about sibilance, is the sibilance less than the HD25-1 II?
Compared to the DT770 pro 80 ohm the HD25-1 II is still on the smooth side, but that little bit of sibilance is still a deal breaker for me.

Anyway I will hear for myself in the next couple of days!

I don't remember much sibilance out of the HD25 II. In my experience sibilance can be a cause of the recorded music, or just lower bit rate. Anyway I'll recommend you to try the 8.35 before you buy.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #407 of 1,132
Quote:

I don't remember much sibilance out of the HD25 II. In my experience sibilance can be a cause of the recorded music, or just lower bit rate. Anyway I'll recommend you to try the 8.35 before you buy.

The HD25-1 II really does add sibilance, it's not just the recordings. It is known!(game of thrones quote)
Even if only bad recordings have sibilance, 25% of all my music has some sibilance in it and they're all flac or 320kbps.

I would love to try these out, but I'm pretty sure that's impossible unless you live in Germany. But I jumped the gun and bought them.

I am young (22), and don't go to clubs that often so it is very possible my hearing isn't damaged much, which is why I'm so sensitive to sibilance.

I will probably get the headphones this weekend and I will let you guys know if there's the slightest amount of sibilance in these headphones!

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #408 of 1,132
No added sibilance according to my memory... 

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #409 of 1,132
So they just came in and my first impressions are good, very good! First thing I was analyzing was it's sibilance. There is (almost) no sibilance, it's a tad less than the hd25-1 the sss sounds are a bit less sharp. And this is only on recordings where the sibilance is really, really bad. Also the GMP 8.35D has much more detail, bass is better extended, sounds more musical and full and ofcourse has a better soundstage. It's actually much closer to the HD650 than to the HD25-1, you really can't compare those two imo.
Sound Quality wise the HD650 isn't even that much better, it has a different timbre, a more airy sound and the soundstage is also a tad more realistic on the HD650. For monitoring the GMP 8.35D is much better though, it has a faster bass response, and it's less forgiving on for example sibilance.

The GMP 8.35D also sounds really good straight out of the Iphone 3gs, much better so than the HD25-1. Obviously a 35 ohm headphone is going to outperform a 70 ohm headphone on drivability. 
It does sound quite a bit better on the fiio e9/e7 combo.

The only downside is coiled cable, it's really heavy and uncomfortable. I think I will just cut this piece out and use a male and female jack plug on both ends.
Any other suggestions on a cable mod?

EDIT: I think I'm too much of a coward to take cut these cables of since I have almost no experience with soldering.
I would rather just buy a cable clamp so that I can clamp the cable unto my shirt lifting the weight of the cable. 
Does anyone know where to get one of those?

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #411 of 1,132

So here is my solution to the heavy coiled cable, I just bought a clamp in an electrical hardware store and attached it to the cable with some  steel wire. This really helps the headphone is much more comfortable now.

I'm still flabbergasted by the sound quality of this monster. They basically sound the same as my mackie mr8 mkII studio monitors.
I might even like these more than the HD650, treble is more extended but still sounds incredibly natural. The cymbals, my god, they sound so good.

I would get a spare if I had the money!

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #413 of 1,132
Aug 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #414 of 1,132
Thanks!

I really hope people read it and gain some insight about these headphones.

The funniest thing happened today, I actually noticed these headphones hanging in some cd store (the gmp 8.40) turns out I would have been able to listen to these before I bought them.

I also bought the oval shaped pads(41-6050), the stock pads are a bit to small for my ears and an increase in soundstage is always welcome!

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #415 of 1,132
Quote:
Thanks!

I really hope people read it and gain some insight about these headphones.

The funniest thing happened today, I actually noticed these headphones hanging in some cd store (the gmp 8.40) turns out I would have been able to listen to these before I bought them.

I also bought the oval shaped pads(41-6050), the stock pads are a bit to small for my ears and an increase in soundstage is always welcome!

Waiting to hear your impression about the (41-6050) oval pads.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #416 of 1,132
I didn't care for the oval pads too much... It made them bright, but in the bad kind of way.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #419 of 1,132
Quote:
If anyone is interested here is my review on the GMP 8.35 Ds: http://www.head-fi.org/products/german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-headphone/reviews/7319.
I compare the GMP 8.35 Ds with mackie studio monitors, the HD650 and the HD25-1 II.

Nice write up! Makes me wonder if they're worth the extra money over the Shure 840. But I'm wondering where you can find them for $200 USD. Here's the quote from your review: "The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D headphones are the best allround closed headphones under 200 USD"  They're going for $250 new on ebay and Amazon. The Shures are almost $100 less, but not in the same league perhaps.

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #420 of 1,132
Quote:
Does the oval pads make them more sibilant, or more bright like a treble boost?

I don't mind bright at all, I always use a treble boost in the EQ, but I just don't like the harsh highs/sibilance.

Yes, the oval pads bring everything out, if recorded materials had sibilant you'll spot it easily. There is no treble boost because is sound balanced over the spectrum, but coming from the original pads this will be considered bright, or treble boost. I like it this way because I can easy spot and monitor sibilance in the studio, but for casual listening the original pads will probably be better especially if you don't like sibilance. On the other way you can get the oval, and just add the 650s oval foam as a mod to rolloff the treble and add more bass.

Most of the today music is master at 0 db, this mean if you'll add any boost EQ this will consider digital distortion and eventually will add more random sibilance to your music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back