The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Aug 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #421 of 1,132
Quote:

Yes, the oval pads bring everything out, if recorded materials had sibilant you'll spot it easily. There is no treble boost because is sound balanced over the spectrum, but coming from the original pads this will be considered bright, or treble boost. I like it this way because I can easy spot and monitor sibilance in the studio, but for casual listening the original pads will probably be better especially if you don't like sibilance. On the other way you can get the oval, and just add the 650s oval foam as a mod to rolloff the treble and add more bass.

Most of the today music is master at 0 db, this mean if you'll add any boost EQ this will consider digital distortion and eventually will add more random sibilance to your music

I'm getting more and more curious about these pads. And I've actually noticed that these headphones don't need the treble boost, it sounds really good at 0 db.
Extra foam mod is always an option for sibilance, so I think it will be fine.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #422 of 1,132
Quote:
Nice write up! Makes me wonder if they're worth the extra money over the Shure 840. But I'm wondering where you can find them for $200 USD. Here's the quote from your review: "The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D headphones are the best allround closed headphones under 200 USD"  They're going for $250 new on ebay and Amazon. The Shures are almost $100 less, but not in the same league perhaps.

Prices vary considerable apparently, I actually bought the GMP 8.35 Ds for 165 Euro, so I converted it to USD. But this might not be usefull at all. And the SRH840's are 140-180 euros here in Europe. But If you can get the SRH840's for 100 USD and they do fit nicely? Get them! They sound good, have a bit less PRaT than the GMP 8.35 but they are really nice. But the headband is really heavy, and it looks really ridiculous when you have them on. When you put these headphones on the headband is not round anymore but straightens, so you basically have this square headphone on your head.

Also the GMP 8.35 is usually compared to the SRH940 which is more expensive than the SRH840s.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #423 of 1,132
Quote:

Yes, the oval pads bring everything out, if recorded materials had sibilant you'll spot it easily. There is no treble boost because is sound balanced over the spectrum, but coming from the original pads this will be considered bright, or treble boost. I like it this way because I can easy spot and monitor sibilance in the studio, but for casual listening the original pads will probably be better especially if you don't like sibilance. On the other way you can get the oval, and just add the 650s oval foam as a mod to rolloff the treble and add more bass.

Most of the today music is master at 0 db, this mean if you'll add any boost EQ this will consider digital distortion and eventually will add more random sibilance to your music

Oh and I use traktor to play music, and I have noticed that traktor, of all music playing programs I've used, has by far the best equalizers.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #424 of 1,132
Quote:
Prices vary considerable apparently, I actually bought the GMP 8.35 Ds for 165 Euro, so I converted it to USD. But this might not be usefull at all. And the SRH840's are 140-180 euros here in Europe. But If you can get the SRH840's for 100 USD and they do fit nicely? Get them! They sound good, have a bit less PRaT than the GMP 8.35 but they are really nice. But the headband is really heavy, and it looks really ridiculous when you have them on. When you put these headphones on the headband is not round anymore but straightens, so you basically have this square headphone on your head.

Also the GMP 8.35 is usually compared to the SRH940 which is more expensive than the SRH840s.

Yeah, 165 euros sounds like a very good price. I probably would have bought them if they were under $200 U.S. Dollars. And you're paying in euros for the Shures what we pay in US dollars. I guess Shures are much cheaper in the U.S. I've seen the 840 go for under 150 USD new on the U.S. ebay.  The 'looks' factor is kind of scaring me away from those though. I' d be taking them out to listen at the coffee shop and the mall, etc. and don't want to look totally ridiculous. I'm looking into the Sony 7509 if I can get one cheap enough. They're hard to find under $200. Either those or I'll have to look like a total geek with the Shure 840.  

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #425 of 1,132
Quote:
Yeah, 165 euros sounds like a very good price. I probably would have bought them if they were under $200 U.S. Dollars. And you're paying in euros for the Shures what we pay in US dollars. I guess Shures are much cheaper in the U.S. I've seen the 840 go for under 150 USD new on the U.S. ebay.  The 'looks' factor is kind of scaring me away from those though. I' d be taking them out to listen at the coffee shop and the mall, etc. and don't want to look totally ridiculous. I'm looking into the Sony 7509 if I can get one cheap enough. They're hard to find under $200. Either those or I'll have to look like a total geek with the Shure 840.  

Just be careful not to get a fake Sony 7509.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #426 of 1,132
Quote:

Just be careful not to get a fake Sony 7509.

I know! I noticed that there's a ton of them coming from China being sold on ebay lately for very low prices. You'd think people would be suspicious when they see the extremely low price. Obviously a real Sony 7509 isn't going to sell for under $50, yet people are buying these obvious counterfeits. It's as bad as the Shure SM57 microphones. A recording engineer on one of the forums said that something like 50% of all Shure sm57's sold on ebay are Chinese fakes...unbelievable!

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #427 of 1,132
Quote:

This is what I by it looks weird on your head. It has way too much room on the sides, when I had them on it was even worse!
I guess it really has to do with the shape of your head, if you can try before you buy that would be great.

Sorry random google pictures guy for stealing your photo!

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #428 of 1,132
Thanks for the photo Marleybob! My old Equation RP21 were worse looking, believe it or not, LOL. I never used them out of the house.....awful looking headphones, but very balanced sound with rolled off highs. Unfortunately I blew up a driver. The Shures actually don't look too awful, at least on that guy..

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #429 of 1,132
Quote:
Thanks for the photo Marleybob! My old Equation RP21 were worse looking, believe it or not, LOL. I never used them out of the house.....awful looking headphones, but very balanced sound with rolled off highs. Unfortunately I blew up a driver. The Shures actually don't look too awful, at least on that guy..

Well on that guy it still is way too square for my taste, especially with the short hair!
But my head is much wider than his, so it was even more square.
But seriously some people love the fit while others hate it, so just buy it, you can always return it.
Or just buy the SRH840, it does have a slightly better sound imo, and it looks weird, which I think is cool as hell!

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #430 of 1,132
Quote:
Well on that guy it still is way too square for my taste, especially with the short hair!
But my head is much wider than his, so it was even more square.
But seriously some people love the fit while others hate it, so just buy it, you can always return it.
Or just buy the SRH840, it does have a slightly better sound imo, and it looks weird, which I think is cool as hell!

The srh-840 has a 'slightly better sound' than which phone....the 7509? I was a bit off on the price they're going for. New they're selling for $200 most places. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #431 of 1,132
Quote:
The srh-840 has a 'slightly better sound' than which phone....the 7509? I was a bit off on the price they're going for. New they're selling for $200 most places. 

Oh whoops sorry, I meant the gmp 8.35D, it has a slightly 'better' sound than the srh840, I guess the sound is a bit more punchy and engaging. But what are they selling for 200 usd at most places?

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #432 of 1,132
Quote:
Oh whoops sorry, I meant the gmp 8.35D, it has a slightly 'better' sound than the srh840, I guess the sound is a bit more punchy and engaging. But what are they selling for 200 usd at most places?

The 840 is going for $200 from most of the dealers on the U.S. ebay and amazon. I thought it was less. Seems like any decent closed phone is going to cost $200 or more. Never heard the m50, but it's supposedly not in the same league as the 840 and the GMP. I'm looking for a portable that's 'flat' but has engaging mids. FWIR the mids on the m50 are not it's strong point.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #433 of 1,132
Quote:

The 840 is going for $200 from most of the dealers on the U.S. ebay and amazon. I thought it was less. Seems like any decent closed phone is going to cost $200 or more. Never heard the m50, but it's supposedly not in the same league as the 840 and the GMP. I'm looking for a portable that's 'flat' but has engaging mids. FWIR the mids on the m50 are not it's strong point.

Well I definitely do not recommend the m50, it has a V shape sound should be pretty good, but it's still a V shaped headphone. Also the passive noise isolation is pretty bad, and the prices have gone up since head-fi hyped this thing.
The gmp 8.35 is definitely the best closed headphone I have ever heard, I even sold my HD650.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #434 of 1,132
Quote:

So I have the oval pads, and have listened to these for a couple of hours.
They are a bit brighter than the stock pads, but sibilance isn't much more pronounced. The soundstage is a bit more enhanced, but the comfort is the biggest improvement! These headphones went from relatively comfortable, to insanely comfortable! Also the oval pads look pretty awesome.

I am actually eq-ing the peeks out of the frequency response of the gmp.835D. Basically cutting about 5 db between 4-10 Khz. This takes care of all sibilance, and makes them sound much more neutral obviously.
I have been away from home today and yesterday, so I got to use my GMP 8.35 with my iphone a lot. I am using the app EQU for it's awesome equalizer and the sound is just amazing. The volume (at 90% of the maximum output power of the iphone) is perfect, it won't be able to shake your ears with bass but for a neutral sound it's more than loud enough.

Did I mention I sold the HD650? :)

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #435 of 1,132
Quote:
So I have the oval pads, and have listened to these for a couple of hours.
They are a bit brighter than the stock pads, but sibilance isn't much more pronounced. The soundstage is a bit more enhanced, but the comfort is the biggest improvement! These headphones went from relatively comfortable, to insanely comfortable! Also the oval pads look pretty awesome.

I am actually eq-ing the peeks out of the frequency response of the gmp.835D. Basically cutting about 5 db between 4-10 Khz. This takes care of all sibilance, and makes them sound much more neutral obviously.
I have been away from home today and yesterday, so I got to use my GMP 8.35 with my iphone a lot. I am using the app EQU for it's awesome equalizer and the sound is just amazing. The volume (at 90% of the maximum output power of the iphone) is perfect, it won't be able to shake your ears with bass but for a neutral sound it's more than loud enough.

Did I mention I sold the HD650? :)

Yes, with the oval pads they are brighter, have you got the foam with the pads or just the net?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back