Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor Headphone › Reviews › Marleybob217's Review

German Maestro GMP 8.35 D

A Review On: German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor Headphone

German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor Headphone

Rated # 177 in Headphones
Marleybob217

Pros: Fantastic sound quality, Isolation, comfort.

Cons: Heavy cable

Intro
After trying a bunch of closed headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 ohm, Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Shure SRH840 and also the Shure SE225 IEMs I was never really satisfied. Either the sound quality wasn't good enough, which was the case with the DT770's and the HD25-1's, or the fit was completely wrong like with the SRH840.

I have the Sennheiser HD650 and a pair of Mackie MR8 mkII studio monitors, and I'm very satisfied with the sound these systems give me.

I love music, and playing the drums is my passion.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Review

The HD25-1 II failed to deliver which is why I started searching for a better headphone. This is when I found the GMP 8.35 D, which took some pretty good internet searching because this headphone is not very well known!

Compared to the Sennheiser HD25-1 II

-The sound is more detailed on the GMP 8.35D, less sibilant and harsh in the highs. It also has a much better soundstage and more musical sound overal. The bass has more detail and also extends lower. I actually don't think of the HD25-1 II as a headphone that should be used for casual music listening. It has a very tight sound, with quite a bit of room between the notes (especially in the bass). This is very important when you're a dj and have to sync beats manually.

The GMP 8.35 D is firstly a monitor, and the sound is much more natural, yet it does isolate quite a bit better than the HD25-1 II. After AB-ing the isolation on both these headphones the GMP 8.35 D seemed to isolate about 5 decibels more around the 1 khz region and up. When I clapped my hands the HD25-1 barely isolated, while the GMP 8.35 D isolated most of the sound.

Compared to the HD650

Soundstage is more lush on the HD650, highs are less extended than on the GMP 8.35 D and the bass is less tight. The hd650 does have this fantastic timbre, and this is the only reason why I'm even considering to keep it.
EDIT: I sold the HD650...

Compared to the Mackie's mr8 mkII

Wow, the sound is so close between these two. It is like German Maestro tried to make the headphones out of the Mackie monitors.

Sound is about equally punchy, detail is maybe a tiny bit better on the Mackies and soundstage has a bit more depth on the mackies.
EDIT: with the oval pads detail and soundstage is atleast as good as the mackies on the gmp 8.35D!

Cable

The cable is coiled, and the coiled bit is pretty heavy, so I did feel the weight pulling on the headphone a little bit. It's not a big problem at all, but there is an easy solution; I attached a clamp unto the cable so I can attach the cable to a piece of clothing (see below).

1000

Ear pads

They are a bit weird aren't they? I do like the provided sound, and the isolation is probably better on these thick ear pads than on the alternative ear pads.

The sound should change quite a bit when changing the ear pads. This particular thread provides a lot of information on this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed.

Conclusion

Extended detailed crisp highs without sibilance, extended tight bass and full detailed mids. Combined with a very good seperation, a punchy sound (PRaT?) and with a realistic soundstage. This is how I would desribe the sound quality of the GMP 835 Ds.
But the fantastic isolation and lack of leakage shouldn't be forgotten, when I would play along to the drums with the HD25-1 I had to turn the volume up way too loud. I don't want to be deaf when I'm fifty, so isolation is really important.

EDIT: Paired with the oval ear pads (product number 41-6050) the sound changes radically. The soundstage just comes to life and the amount of detail improves.

You and Acix almost made me purchase these monsters :) But I still have problems about the cable even with your creative solution I am looking for something more permament. Like a cable mod. Is it possible to get straight 1.2 meter cable instead of these huge and heavy coiled cable? I have no such experience and talent do a mod like this and I don't have any idea what kind of place I should go to make it done. Any help would be perfect.
But anyway, like Acix's review, wonderful. Thank you very much.
Check out the last picture ;)
Replacing a cable isn't that hard, it requires some practice. But learning to solder cables, is a good skill to have.
It seems a nice job but I am sure I can't do such a mod :) Maybe if I go some audio shop and can they do some things without losing a sound quality? or as you mentioned in your pm, providing some useful links for 'noobs' like me about cable modding can be helpful too I guess. I really dont want to lose from sound quality.
I am gonna drive them with ipod nano without an amp but with low impedance I believe that's ok.
Btw, this question may seem awkward but, since I am in Belgium and it rains quite a lot here, do you think I should cover them from rain drops? or as long as it is not a heavy rain I shouldn't mind a few drops?
HANDS DOWN THE BEST CLOSED HEADPHONE I HAVE TRIED. I was originally going to buy the momentum but these do the trick. But tell me where you guys are getting those earpads from. Do they isolate as good at the stock pads?