The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jul 10, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #2,929 of 3,960
actually the most basic would be listed price + cost of impressions + cost of shipping. there're extras that you don't have to pay for...

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #2,930 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by p_hp_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I'm looking into the realm of custom IEM's and wondered what would be the best value for someone who's not a giant audiophile but just wants a solid set of IEM's that can run well UNAMPed.

Right now I'm looking at around $250 so:
- FreQ of Nature
- Super Freq
- Tour de Freq
- Livewires

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

You sure you need custom IEMs? for best value Universal should be considered (they can be re-sold)
Among your choices, none will go wrong as long as your budget allows

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #2,931 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by small.solar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure you need custom IEMs? for best value Universal should be considered (they can be re-sold)
Among your choices, none will go wrong as long as your budget allows

Actually, no I'm not sure. I've just been looking for an IEM that's going to be comfortable, sound isolating, and has good sound quality. I was guided to the customs because they have all three of these and also with many universals the fit takes forever to achieve properly and is a big pain to have to take in and out whereas customs are (supposedly) much easier and quicker, which is a big plus for me.

Is this a good rationale?

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #2,932 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually the most basic would be listed price + cost of impressions + cost of shipping. there're extras that you don't have to pay for...

What shipping costs? I guess you pay to mail the impressions, but if you get a good fit the first time, you're done.

The problem with asking if FreQs or Livewires are better is it's very subjective. I don't own LWs so I've never heard them, but from what I've read, I'm sure they are a good product. The FreQs are a great product too! I'm sure they all sound slightly different, so it comes down to your tastes. About the only thing I've heard them described as having in common is they both appear to be very revealing and/or neutral, but even that is debated :p

Unfortunately, there is no real way to "try" customs other then ordering them and then utilizing the return policy. IMHO if you order some FreQs, you won't want to send them back
wink.gif

EDIT: I had my reply sitting here for awhile. Forgot to hit submit..

Quote:

Originally Posted by p_hp_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, no I'm not sure. I've just been looking for an IEM that's going to be comfortable, sound isolating, and has good sound quality. I was guided to the customs because they have all three of these and also with many universals the fit takes forever to achieve properly and is a big pain to have to take in and out whereas customs are (supposedly) much easier and quicker, which is a big plus for me.

Is this a good rationale?

Those are precisely the reasons I had for getting customs. Isolation, comfort, and ease of insertion and removal. Sure SQ is important, but that was secondary to the other criteria. I just knew that the SQ would, at worst, be "good enough". Luckily, the FreQs sound amazing
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #2,934 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahman67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where's the website where you order these?

This question will pop up now every three pages, guys just do a search before, is not that hard, trust me...

http://www.freqonline.com/

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #2,935 of 3,960
come to think of it... customs were really meant for stage performers.. for their monitoring purposes without getting stage wedges too loud.

I don't think they were meant purely for music appreciation... Correct me if i'm wrong.

If I did not perform or record in a studio, I don't think I would've gotten a custom.. a good universal would've been more than good enough I think.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #2,937 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
come to think of it... customs were really meant for stage performers.. for their monitoring purposes without getting stage wedges too loud.

I don't think they were meant purely for music appreciation... Correct me if i'm wrong.

If I did not perform or record in a studio, I don't think I would've gotten a custom.. a good universal would've been more than good enough I think.

Custom vs Universal
SQ: tie - We can assume the universal is an audiophile IEM
Comfort: customs - Universals fit some people well, but others not at all. A properly fitted custom IEM will always fit better.
Isolation: customs(maybe a tie) - like comfort, this is subject to getting a good fit with either type of IEM.
Price: customs - I can get FreqShows for less then Triple.Fi's even with impressions and shipping. TF=$395 FS=$349 +$20(impressions) +$10(shipping) =$379
Resale: universals - nobody else can wear your customs. Of course, that's also a plus to some of us
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #2,938 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Custom vs Universal
SQ: tie - We can assume the universal is an audiophile IEM
Comfort: customs - Universals fit some people well, but others not at all. A properly fitted custom IEM will always fit better.
Isolation: customs(maybe a tie) - like comfort, this is subject to getting a good fit with either type of IEM.
Price: customs - I can get FreqShows for less then Triple.Fi's even with impressions and shipping. TF=$395 FS=$349 +$20(impressions) +$10(shipping) =$379
Resale: universals - nobody else can wear your customs. Of course, that's also a plus to some of us
wink.gif

Some of this points are IMO myths:

About comfort, IME, a solid piece in the ear will never be as comfortable as a universal rubber, or silicone tip. Try to move the face, open the mouth, blink, and you will notice the thing in the ear, sometimes even painful...with universals this does not happen, if you try the sleeks for example or the Klipsch's, the fit is perfect, seal is perfect, and after a minute you feel absolutelly nothing in your ears, I'm still trying to get used to the customs...

Impressions, well not sure where did you get them, but I was charged $60.00 for them, and after Todd talked with the audiologist, the best price other than that I found in my area was $40.00 for the pair, and a week of wait...

Sound quality, well here the FreQ sound better than the other ones I have but it is a three driver earpiece, the others are a single one. The difference is not that big BTW...

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #2,939 of 3,960
Hello all, just sitting here enjoying my new FreQs, and I was wondering what these referral cards meant when they said a free set of Freqs? I understand the part about giving your friend the idea and having them get a pair and then giving you credit for referring them, but what do they mean about a free pair of IEMs?

~Mudre

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #2,940 of 3,960
when u have referred enough people, they refund you the money for your freq or the equivalent amount of the model you can "redeem".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back