The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jun 25, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #2,716 of 3,960
CandlePowerForums
biggrin.gif

It's a flashlight enthusiasts forum... and it's probably just as hard on your wallet as this can be - especially if the word "Titanium" is involved. Look out!

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #2,717 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey jch!

This place definitely has something in common with CPF.. it'll drain you're wallet just as fast! You looking at getting some FreQ Shows?
smily_headphones1.gif

What's up MIKE!

I dunno man!
confused.gif
I'm tryin' to stick to IEM's that are made in USA or Europe... not lookin' to spend my SPY007 funds on this yet
biggrin.gif
, but $500 or less. I might have to pick yer brain!
tongue.gif

Good to see some familiar faces here! TIN's thread at the CPF Cafe got me researching IEM's again, after I gave up a while back. Seems like things are really getting moving on this front!

smily_headphones1.gif
john

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #2,718 of 3,960
Hey everyone! I am new here but I just wanted to say hey and that I ordered the Freq of Nature set of IEM's and am going for impressions in the morning.

I am going to mainly use them as headphones for general listening but also as IEM's in the Praise Band i play in on sunday mornings, where I am the electric violininst.

Anyone else have these?

~Mudre

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #2,719 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by majik89d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone! I am new here but I just wanted to say hey and that I ordered the Freq of Nature set of IEM's and am going for impressions in the morning.

I am going to mainly use them as headphones for general listening but also as IEM's in the Praise Band i play in on sunday mornings, where I am the electric violininst.

Anyone else have these?

~Mudre

I think dakkar is getting one soon. When you get your impressions done, be sure to keep your face and mouth relaxed and still!

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #2,720 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by herbsandspices /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez - PCMike, wquiles... you'd think this was CPF!
biggrin.gif
Hey fella's!

smily_headphones1.gif
john, aka jch79 - I've come to LEARN!

Hi there - I feel better now - I am not the only totally crazy person with interests in these two hobbies!!!

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #2,721 of 3,960
Quote:

Hey jch!

This place definitely has something in common with CPF.. it'll drain you're wallet just as fast! You looking at getting some FreQ Shows?
smily_headphones1.gif

I already have the SuperFreQs (MM crossover) and I am now in the process of finalizing logo choices to order the FreQ Shows
biggrin.gif

These are pics of my SuperFreQs:
img_4989.jpg

img_4991.jpg

Yes, this hobby will also drain your wallet rather quickly!

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #2,722 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by herbsandspices /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's up MIKE!

I dunno man!
confused.gif
I'm tryin' to stick to IEM's that are made in USA or Europe... not lookin' to spend my SPY007 funds on this yet
biggrin.gif
, but $500 or less. I might have to pick yer brain!
tongue.gif

Good to see some familiar faces here! TIN's thread at the CPF Cafe got me researching IEM's again, after I gave up a while back. Seems like things are really getting moving on this front!

smily_headphones1.gif
john

I of course encourage you to read recent/old posts here to form your own opinion, but for the money, the best sounding custom IEM's seem to be the dual-driver LW (Livewires) and the triple-driver FreQs:

Live Wires Custom Fit In-Ear Monitors / Headphones

Custom Fit Earbuds - In Ear Monitors - Custom Fit Headphones - Running Headphones - The FreQ

Of course, "I" am partial to the FreQs with the MM crossover
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #2,724 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think dakkar is getting one soon. When you get your impressions done, be sure to keep your face and mouth relaxed and still!

Yup, that's right. And according to DHL's website, they're in town! So I should be posting pics and impressions pretty soon!
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #2,727 of 3,960
Just a short update.
Decided to send my SF's in to get the braided cable (paid upgrade).
While they are there, I think I may have them adjust the fit slightly. I have been very happy with the seal, until it got hot and I started to sweat a lot. Thinking just a "re-dip" may do the trick as the fit is really pretty good, but now that I am use to wearing them, I would like them a little tighter. Probably wouldn't bother if it wasn't for wanting the cable. (My cable is FINE, I just want the braided one
redface.gif
)

Anyway my POINT IS, I called Monday and spoke with Sara. She was helpful and made the notation in my customer profile. Then today before I dropped them in the mail, I sent an email with my instructions (also included in the box) to the "help" addy and cc'd Todd. With in two hours I had a reply from Todd.
I have said it before, but EVERYTIME I have contacted FreQ by email or phone, the have responded QUICKLY and been very helpful and responsive.

I know a few people have reported difficulty contacting them via email. This has not been my experience. I wonder if some email addy's are still being re-directed to their junk mail??

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #2,728 of 3,960
Hey Will,

Me too. I'm going to wait about a month and just have Todd @ FreQ do the impressions. I'm not too sure which crossover to get yet, but judging from the rest MM vs. ML review/thread I'll probably get the MM. Also, I found some really cool artwork for the shells. I'm not sure if I want to do the same image on both shells or not. I also haven't totally decided on the colors.

Any idea if someone has created a gallery or some other place where FreQ owners can upload pictures of their custom design shells? I'd really like to see all the pictures I can, but its terribly tiring to click on 300 pages!

Enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have the SuperFreQs (MM crossover) and I am now in the process of finalizing logo choices to order the FreQ Shows
biggrin.gif

These are pics of my SuperFreQs:
img_4989.jpg

img_4991.jpg

Yes, this hobby will also drain your wallet rather quickly!

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #2,729 of 3,960
Quote:

Hey Will,

Me too. I'm going to wait about a month and just have Todd @ FreQ do the impressions. I'm not too sure which crossover to get yet, but judging from the rest MM vs. ML review/thread I'll probably get the MM. Also, I found some really cool artwork for the shells. I'm not sure if I want to do the same image on both shells or not. I also haven't totally decided on the colors.

Any idea if someone has created a gallery or some other place where FreQ owners can upload pictures of their custom design shells? I'd really like to see all the pictures I can, but its terribly tiring to click on 300 pages!

Enjoy.

The front page has a few selected images. There are also a bunch of pictures on the FreQ website.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #2,730 of 3,960
Updating my post from 06-09-2008:
I just went home and was surprised to see a package from DHL. My SF came back (after left earpiece remake)!

Initial impression: WHOA! The left side is STOUT! It seems to fill up my entire ear -- very close to what I was feeling when I had silicone goo in my ear.

Negatives: The left side kinda hurts. I know. I know. First, too loose. Now too tight. Bitch bitch bitch.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm definitely going to give my ear some time to adjust. But right now, left side of my face (cheekbone area) aches like I have a head cold. I expect it to ease off.

Also, the difference in isolation between left and right (which I've never modified and thought was always good) seems really pronounced right now. It's entirely possible this is just a "feeling" perception, not a "hearing" perception. I'll know more with time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sending two new impressions of my left ear to FreQ for the left earpiece remake.

Was very bummed (and kinda angry) that audiologist ('s receptionist) charged me the full $50 for one ear. I was THIS close to walking out.

In the end, I feel like I got good value because the audiologist suggested and did two impressions -- one open and one closed. He also took a little time to check for mandibular movement -- how much my ear canal opened when mouth was opened. Diagnosis: fair amount of movement, but nothing excessive.

I was also shown how my left ear canal actually flares out like a fan. My right in more tapered and cone-shaped. I'm curious if this is a source of my problem -- it's hard to plug a small hole with something that fans out.

I feel confident that with three molds and my typed up explanations, I should be able to get a better earpiece.

However, the audiologist did say that in the hearing aid world, a more flexible material would be used to solve fit issues like I'm having, but that's obviously not an option here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back