The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Mar 1, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #721 of 3,960
Yeah.... neighther mold turned out....

They both stayed as goo, buT was luckily able to get them out as one piece...I am thinking that someone sent out a bad batch at westone for the mix. Both of the "kits" were from the same batch.

The second I was able to get out in the right general shape, but it is still like silly putty and VERY sticky.

I will be calling them tommorrow to talk about getting impressions because this was ridiculous! I am very happy that I was able to get the goo out.

I should mention that I allowed the second set over 1.5 hours to try and set to no avail.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #722 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, now trying packet two - just finished shaping to my ears - might as well mention that I am following the directions to the T.

Quote:

They both stayed as goo, buT was luckily able to get them out as one piece...I am thinking that someone sent out a bad batch at westone for the mix. Both of the "kits" were from the same batch.

The second I was able to get out in the right general shape, but it is still like silly putty and VERY sticky.

I will be calling them tommorrow to talk about getting impressions because this was ridiculous! I am very happy that I was able to get the goo out.

I should mention that I allowed the second set over 1.5 hours to try and set to no avail.

I strongly recommend seeing an audiologist. Follow the UE instructions. They shouldn't charge you much. Mine were only $20 cause that's the lowest charge in their system :p

It may seem like a hardship now, but they are soooo worth it! Don't get discouraged Germania
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #723 of 3,960
Quote:

You are likely doing something wrong. The mix should not be sticky and harden within 10 minutes. Perhaps your kit was expired? I really doubt it though because it's just a compound in an air sealed container.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #724 of 3,960
Quote:

Hey, uhhhhh I decided to try the kit and have had them in my ears for 30 min without them hardening.......

Should I just give up and try to clean out?

30 minutes!?! lol.
eek.gif

Not more than 10 minutes max, and it should be firm. I can see someone is going to have a very nasty experience if the goo gets to the eardrum.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #725 of 3,960
Quote:

That's crazy!

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #726 of 3,960
This morning I had a very tiny bit of the pink goo come out of my left ear...which makes me think that I didn't get it all out... lame

I sent an email to Mr. Freq about the whole thing...I am mad about it, even though it was not intentional.

If it was reacting with the gloves, then that is a problem that should have been addressed. If is was the packets themselves, the people at westone need a chewing out. I looked up more information about the product and apparently, it is NEVER supposed to make contact with the gloves even.

At any rate, I do feel a bit violated because this happened to at least two people....just from this forum alone. To me, the whole thing should have been taken care of before I recieved my package. The lot number of the westone product was 4707.

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #727 of 3,960
The main difference between a professional and a "home kit" mold is by what I have been told by my audiologist the type of compound used. If you go to an audiologist they should insert a block close to the eardrum and then mix a two compound solution that at fist looks a bit like claydo and then later settles and expands a bit. The ones I got last week were completely firm after about 4 minutes after injection into the ear canal. They were quite hard to get out, or the kind audiologist took great care and time to get them out in one piece I don't know (I am the customer hehe
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #729 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when my audiologist was mixing it, she has no gloves on... so i think it might be the gloves thats screwing around with the mix.

Mine didn't use gloves either. The material doesn't seem to stick to anything other then itself, so I'm not sure why they are suggesting gloves.

I know The Freq is trying to make this less expensive by using a home kit, but I think seeing an audiologist will yield a better result.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #730 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine didn't use gloves either. The material doesn't seem to stick to anything other then itself, so I'm not sure why they are suggesting gloves.

I know The Freq is trying to make this less expensive by using a home kit, but I think seeing an audiologist will yield a better result.

I don't know if they are trying to make it less expensive. I figure they are trying to make it easier for their customers,as a lot of people would not want to go through seeing an audiologist.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #732 of 3,960
does anyone have a collection of pictures of different color combinations. i saw the ones on the first page but looking for some other one if anyone has any. i asked freq and they are trying to get some pictures taken but it has been over 3 weeks.

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #734 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get professional impressions!

X2

Well worth the time and potential cost.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #735 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if they are trying to make it less expensive. I figure they are trying to make it easier for their customers,as a lot of people would not want to go through seeing an audiologist.

yeah, i think this is true, so maybe people using gloves or WILL be using gloves will need to know not to use them =P.

other than that, ive (or we've) not heard from anyone who havent used gloves with that problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back