The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Mar 3, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #736 of 3,960
They supply you with plastic gloves that should work fine for mixing the compound. I mixed the compound with some Glad sandwich bags as gloves lol. I don't think you should use latex or nitrile gloves.

** Or did they send latex gloves? I may have confused the gloves with the gloves I got when I bought my toner refill lol.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #737 of 3,960
Ok, so I did send the FreQs back for them to try to fix that resonant ringing problem. Now, there is less of a problem, and I can also make it even less by EQing up the high end. Let me just say again and again this thing sounds so amazing. The sound is comparable to the HD580s, and I dunno how I can say that for IEMs (and no, it's not because I am EQing, try EQing the SF5 or SE530 high end, you won't get anything lol). I am actually using the FreQs exclusively now.

If you want to see my foobar EQ settings:

http://www.xpute.com/freq/freqs.feq

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #738 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I did send the FreQs back for them to try to fix that resonant ringing problem. Now, there is less of a problem, and I can also make it even less by EQing up the high end. Let me just say again and again this thing sounds so amazing. The sound is comparable to the HD580s, and I dunno how I can say that for IEMs (and no, it's not because I am EQing, try EQing the SF5 or SE530 high end, you won't get anything lol). I am actually using the FreQs exclusively now.

If you want to see my foobar EQ settings:

http://www.xpute.com/freq/freqs.feq

hey, and if price is going up, theres nothing bad for us "early" adopters

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #740 of 3,960
i really like the super freq's (look). I recently ordered atrio m8's and am kind of regretting it but am not sure if i should end up getting the freq's... lol errr.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #741 of 3,960
Alright.. As promised in a previous posts, my impressions after further use of the SuperFreQs!

BUILD QUALITY:

I chose to go with Clear/Clear with a black cord designed to be worn over the ears. I made the right choice. They look fantastic and fit comfortably, never causing me to re-insert them multiple times during a listening session like I have had to do with other headphones including, as examples, the EX71s and HA-FX33s.

SOUND QUALITY:

Warning: The SuperFreQs are very sensitive. I only need the volume to be one step above 0 on my iPod Touch for me to enjoy my music at my normal listening level. 3 steps up and I can't hear anything around me as they isolate very well. Too well for use while walking down the street.

I've attempted to be very analytical about the music I have funneled through these things, but I always end up enjoying the experience too much and lose focus. It's very easy to be submersed in what sounds to my ears as a reference level piece of equiptment with a very very slight peak on both ends of the spectrum. Every instrument can be picked up accurately and sharply from cymbal decay to vocal whispers. (I've heard some of those Beatles talking in the background that I never heard before.) Everything from Carl Orff to Eric Clapton to Bill Withers to Sarah Maclachlan to Easy E sound exactly as they should.

CONCLUSION:

Would I buy these again? Absolutely.
Would I recommend these? Most Definitely.

You won't be making a mistake by choosing the SuperFreQs. My suggestion.. go with over the ear and don't be afraid to choose Clear/Clear. Mine look fantastic. See pic in a previous post for reference and "Sorry about your wallet!"

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #742 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsplash75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright.. As promised in a previous posts, my impressions after further use of the SuperFreQs!

BUILD QUALITY:

I chose to go with Clear/Clear with a black cord designed to be worn over the ears. I made the right choice. They look fantastic and fit comfortably, never causing me to re-insert them multiple times during a listening session like I have had to do with other headphones including, as examples, the EX71s and HA-FX33s.

SOUND QUALITY:

Warning: The SuperFreQs are very sensitive. I only need the volume to be one step above 0 on my iPod Touch for me to enjoy my music at my normal listening level. 3 steps up and I can't hear anything around me as they isolate very well. Too well for use while walking down the street.

I've attempted to be very analytical about the music I have funneled through these things, but I always end up enjoying the experience too much and lose focus. It's very easy to be submersed in what sounds to my ears as a reference level piece of equiptment with a very very slight peak on both ends of the spectrum. Every instrument can be picked up accurately and sharply from cymbal decay to vocal whispers. (I've heard some of those Beatles talking in the background that I never heard before.) Everything from Carl Orff to Eric Clapton to Bill Withers to Sarah Maclachlan to Easy E sound exactly as they should.

CONCLUSION:

Would I buy these again? Absolutely.
Would I recommend these? Most Definitely.

You won't be making a mistake by choosing the SuperFreQs. My suggestion.. go with over the ear and don't be afraid to choose Clear/Clear. Mine look fantastic. See pic in a previous post for reference and "Sorry about your wallet!"

I'm glad to hear you like them!

Which Beatles track do you hear them talking in the background? I want to listen too :p

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #743 of 3,960
Hey guys, seriously considering getting these. I'm thinking that the Freq of Nature might be a better choice for me, as it's $50 less and should still have good bass with its dual drivers. I was wondering, what email address did you guys use when you wanted to ask Todd or Derek a question? I looked on their site but didn't see a general "contact us" email address.

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #746 of 3,960
Somewhat new to the site. Long time viewer, first time poster. I just ordered a pair of SuperfreQs yesterday. I looked at the LiveWires too but I thought the gold connector looked awful. I really am not too worried about the detachable cables and, from what I have read, the FreQs have gotten slightly better SQ reviews than LW has in comparisons. So, I went to my audiologist today and got professional impressions done for $30. The process was quick and easy but it appears as though my ear canals seem to be very narrow through the first bend. hmmm. I am not sure how The FreQ company is going to work with these while keeping them comfortable but I have confidence in them. I am shipping them out today. I can't wait to get them back. I will post a review from an newly-interested-headphone audiophile. I have much more experience in Home Stereo and Home Theater speakers than I do headphones but I just can't take my ibuds anymore!! I also will be using these for traveling purposes as well as the gym. I like the noise isolation. I can't wait to get them!!

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #747 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino0987 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somewhat new to the site. Long time viewer, first time poster. I just ordered a pair of SuperfreQs yesterday. I looked at the LiveWires too but I thought the gold connector looked awful. I really am not too worried about the detachable cables and, from what I have read, the FreQs have gotten slightly better SQ reviews than LW has in comparisons. So, I went to my audiologist today and got professional impressions done for $30. The process was quick and easy but it appears as though my ear canals seem to be very narrow through the first bend. hmmm. I am not sure how The FreQ company is going to work with these while keeping them comfortable but I have confidence in them. I am shipping them out today. I can't wait to get them back. I will post a review from an newly-interested-headphone audiophile. I have much more experience in Home Stereo and Home Theater speakers than I do headphones but I just can't take my ibuds anymore!! I also will be using these for traveling purposes as well as the gym. I like the noise isolation. I can't wait to get them!!

Awesome.. Tell me how you like them. What color combo did you get. I wish i could see all the combos on their website but you can't it annoys me. Anyways, yeah post impressions and pics as soon as you get them... Cnt wait

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #749 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad to hear you like them!

Which Beatles track do you hear them talking in the background? I want to listen too :p

"All You Need Is Love" from the Yellow Submarine album as an example. They've done it numerous times though. I'm sure others could throw out some other examples.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #750 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyonya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, seriously considering getting these. I'm thinking that the Freq of Nature might be a better choice for me, as it's $50 less and should still have good bass with its dual drivers. I was wondering, what email address did you guys use when you wanted to ask Todd or Derek a question? I looked on their site but didn't see a general "contact us" email address.

Thanks!

Just call them. Everytime I've called, I talked to Derek :p

For email, there should be a link on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back