The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jan 18, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #362 of 3,960
Everyone who doesn't own a FreQ seems to be ranting on superfluous issues. The FreQ isn't a LiveWire or an Ultimate Ears, and it isn't priced to be one.

A lot of people who own LWs or UEs seem to go on this thread to point out "issues" with the FreQs, hehe.

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #363 of 3,960
in all honest opinion they simply fail in production from what I've read and seen. and I doubt any new company can reach a level of professional quality that quickly. They are a lot of things but that doesn't mean "superfluous issues" such as inconsistency are cleared up by "hey, look at the price".

The reviewers never had customs either and it's hard enough already to decide without everyone not being exactly neutral. Some of those "issues" are or could be actually issues.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #365 of 3,960
Does anyone know where the cable will connect on the Music Makers line? In the Lovers line it connects in the middle of the IEM, but I'm hoping that in the Makers line it will be connected on the side like the UEs. That is, up in the corner near the top of your ear. Any news on this?

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #366 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphataru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, can anyone enlighten me why "detachable cable" is an issue? Pretty much 90% of iems out there don't have these, so why exactly are Freqs supposed to have them?

Many high end IEMs have detachable cables. Think about it, if your cable's insulation cracks (as it most likely will some day) and your cables are permanently attached to the IEM, your choices are to either get a custom recable, send it in for repair (and pay shipping and wait for weeks) which you will have to spend a good amount of money on if it's out of warranty, or just buy a whole new set of IEMs.

If your IEMs have detachable cables, all you do is purchase a replacement cable and you're done. Also, detachable cables allow for easier customization since many people swap cable types to improve different factors.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #367 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mush77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where the cable will connect on the Music Makers line? In the Lovers line it connects in the middle of the IEM, but I'm hoping that in the Makers line it will be connected on the side like the UEs. That is, up in the corner near the top of your ear. Any news on this?

IIRC, they MM line are meant to be worn over the ear, so no matter what the cable should exit facing up.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #368 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically you'd be sending them back for replaceable cables?

Once again, they are NOT going to give us replaceable cables. The company is changing the cables used in the Music Lovers' line. Their policy is if the model you purchase gets an upgrade within a year of purchase, you get the upgrade free.

The detachable cable is something they plan to offer in their Music Makers' line. These will be different models, so no upgrade for us that bought the Lovers' line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matias m. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSCN2299.jpg

mmm freq say´s ..... 3 way crossover 3 drivers low mid hi ??? I do not believe it at all ..
Probably they sound perfect and its just me and a bad day....
also the big distance Between the ( 2 ) drivers.......... what happens whit the Time-alignment Phase-alignment?????????????

Maybe someone who knows better can confirm or refute this, but I suspect the passive crossovers are built into the drivers. I've studied the internal wiring of my SuperFreQs and there are 2 wires coming in from the headphone cable that go to the larger driver. Then 2 wires come from that driver to the paired smaller drivers. So either the big driver has the crossover and it's really only a 2-way system, or each driver has it's own passive crossover inside. I think it is the latter since doing it passively is pretty easy. I'll see if I can get some numbers off the smaller drivers. If they are different maybe they are designed to reproduce different parts of the spectrum. This is all speculation unless we can figure out what exactly is inside these.

I am a little concerned about the different placements of the drivers form right to left. I think the difference in distance is pretty minuscule though, so I'm not sure if it will really affect what I hear. I've been trying really hard to detect a difference, but so far I can't tell :p

Even if they aren't perfect, they sound amazing! Keep in mind these are not UE11's :p
These are their "budget" line hehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by matias m. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Returning to the topic... thanks to KWS for the pic
20070929_97b197517b7e3cf2a237Ltivf3Fuo8aL.jpg

this electronic´s on the ue10 are the simplest (one capacitor )2 way "crossover" 2 cables in 4 cables out ...
3 way ... 2 wires in 6 out '??more electronics etcetc
ok its simple ...al the drivers have built in crossovers

Yep I think the crossovers are built into the drivers too
biggrin.gif

I have to say that this discussion has been pretty interesting. I love how this community can debate and disagree but remain civil. There are way too many forums on the internet that those sort of things turn into a flame war hehe, so I want to thank all my fellow head-fiers for being so mature
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still looking for some more music recomendations. I listened to the jazz track that powertoold linked. It is an awesome track on these things! I'm in a dance/techno kinda mood though, but I don't really know the artists in that genre. I'm more a rock kinda guy normally. Right now Daft Punk is helping my FreQs shine. Can anyone recommend music like Daft Punk, Prodigy or Madonna? I'm gonna order a few CDs today, so hopefully I can get some ideas to sample before placing the order
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #369 of 3,960
Hayduke, have you ever listened to music on Pandora.com. When I'm in my office I listen to music I like and also the program can guide you to other genres that maybe you don't listen to. You can also tell the program, songs you like and dislike, pretty cool!

Freeone-j

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #370 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in all honest opinion they simply fail in production from what I've read and seen. and I doubt any new company can reach a level of professional quality that quickly. They are a lot of things but that doesn't mean "superfluous issues" such as inconsistency are cleared up by "hey, look at the price".

The reviewers never had customs either and it's hard enough already to decide without everyone not being exactly neutral. Some of those "issues" are or could be actually issues.

You can read all you want about the FreQ. It will never be the same as owning one. I don't know what your issues are with the thing, but you seem to enjoy nit-picking this new product. I hope you aren't part of the crowd that finds problems with other's equipment so they can justify their own.

The build quality of the FreQ is fine. Yes, it doesn't look like a new car, but it works, it won't break in a few months unless you're a klutz, and the earphone is molded to fit your ear well. So far, there hasn't been many problems with fit. The sound is great, and people are satisfied. You don't need to own 3 customs in order to appreciate the FreQ. I'm sure a lot of people who bought the UEs or LiveWires are first time custom owners; does that mean they shouldn't enjoy their product because they haven't experienced another? Definitely not.

You know. My friend bought an SE530 (which doesn't have a detachable cable), and 3 months later, both of the wires to the earphone are frayed. Shure knew of this issue with the E500, yet they did not fix it. Why doesn't everyone not recommend the SE530 because of this? Why aren't there people going into every single SE530 thread and saying don't buy it because the build sucks? Well, it's probably because the sound quality of the thing is good. Many recommendations on Head-fi are made because of the sound quality and not build quality - just look at the D2000 and D5000.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #371 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeone-j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hayduke, have you ever listened to music on Pandora.com. When I'm in my office I listen to music I like and also the program can guide you to other genres that maybe you don't listen to. You can also tell the program, songs you like and dislike, pretty cool!

Freeone-j

I totally forgot about pandora.com! Thanks for the reminder. Problem is I'm listening to my FreQs here at work, and the cord isn't long enough to reach the computer, so I'm using my iPod. Can I just get the recommendations from pandora without listening? lol

I'm gonna go look
biggrin.gif

Thanks again

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #372 of 3,960
I just wanted to add a little update:

I am still enjoying these quite a bit. The isolation is really great. Also i have discovered that these really respond well to eq. I was playing some ALAC on foobar, and i was in heaven! Hope everyone is still happy with theres.

Oh! one more thing; I mentioned CanJam 08 to Todd, and he said he is planning on getting a table and binging along an audiologist. How cool is that!

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #373 of 3,960
just got an email from FreQ's about my order and thought i'd give a heads up for int'l buyers (outside of cont'l US), since it's not on their website..

in-home kit is not included and shipping is on your own buck to and from FreQ's.

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #375 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomas65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok gentlemen, too much chats about it, show me the data, please! I think it's time to write a serious and deep review on these IEM: who's the first?

It's really generous of you to step up to the plate and volunteer. We'll expect your magazine quality review by the end of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back