The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
Jan 17, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #331 of 3,960
Forgive me for the bad pics as they were taken with my cell phone but here are 3 images of my ue-5c.
ue-5c3.jpg

ue-5c2.jpg

ue-5c1.jpg

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #332 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have my ue-11 with me currently so I can not take a pic of them.

?!?!?!?
eek.gif

What do you mean? Now that I have these, I can't imagine ever being where I would be able to post on these forums and not have them.
tongue.gif

I can't imagine why, but I have a Rick James song in my head
wink.gif

Anyone know which one? I think I need to put it on my iPod hehe

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #333 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
?!?!?!?
eek.gif

What do you mean? Now that I have these, I can't imagine ever being where I would be able to post on these forums and not have them.
tongue.gif

I can't imagine why, but I have a Rick James song in my head
wink.gif

Anyone know which one? I think I need to put it on my iPod hehe

I sent them off for a cleaning and a quick fit adjustment. I wanted a few more coatings on my left IEM. Just not quite as snugg as my right. I should havethem back in a few days and will use my ue-5c while they are away.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #334 of 3,960
Quote:

The connector IS gold plated, but not L. I would have preferred an L connector, but it is real small. I'm home now, and I left my camera at work. I'll take a pic of the connector tomorrow and post it from work (the pics above were at my desk before going home tonight hehe)

Mine go plenty deep. The IEMs on that link are Livewires. One of the pics even says it. Someone just asked them to make thiers go deeper into the ear.

#1 Thanks for the connector info
#2 umm...yeah.
rolleyes.gif
They are livewires aren't they!

#3 I didn't post that about the UEs
#4 the pics were just posted...

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #335 of 3,960
Quote:

#3 I didn't post that about the UEs
#4 the pics were just posted...

I don't understand these two :/

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #336 of 3,960
Quote:

I don't understand these two :/

You quoted it as my post and...nvm about that

Do you feel like it's a good, accurate fit b/c "individually hand-made" makes me uneasy when it comes to a custom product...

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #337 of 3,960
Quote:

You quoted it as my post and...nvm about that

Do you feel like it's a good, accurate fit b/c "individually hand-made" makes me uneasy when it comes to a custom product...

It's tough to answer this question because I lack a frame of reference. My instincts tell me that a custom molded product would be best done by hand. Preferably by someone who is well practiced. I suspect it is like most things, you get better at it the longer you do it.

I think they are extremely comfortable. I will say that the left ear feels slightly "tighter" then the right. When I first put them in, I prefered the left. After wearing them for 5 hours or so now, I think I prefer the right ear. The left almost feels a little bit uncomfortable now. When I put them in, I instinctively push them in a little because this always helped the sound with the iBuds I replaced. When I do this, the left ear is a little tender. I think I read in the Livewires thread that someone else had a little discomfort the first few days, but that their ears either adjusted or they just got used to it? I plan to wait at least 2 full weeks to decide if I will send them back for any modification. The people at the audiologist office I visited were really excited to see them and asked if I would come back and show them. I am going to try and see them tomorrow and let them asses the fit since they have a lot of experience with hearing aids.

I'm reading the glossary thread in another tab. I'll go over those terms a few times and after I listen some more, I'll post more about my impressions. I'm afraid right now that I will just be "gushing" over how impressed I am. Read my sig, I'm a newb, but these headphones are amazing. I now understand why Derek (the guy that works for The FreQ and posted here) was at a loss for words other then to say they sound amazing.

The soundstage is definitely smaller then my HD580s, but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing in this case. I know I like a large soundstage. I use an addon in Foobar2k that simulates Dolby surround for headphones with my HD580s at work. I really like how it seems to open them up and I think it is less fatiguing.

The Super FreQs have a much smaller soundstage, but it is very appealing. It's like the music is more personal and private. The music is more "in my head", but it is very pleasing.
biggrin.gif

What I will try is creating files that have these DSP effect "built-in", and see if I like it more. Foobar2k lets you put your DSP plugins into the stream when you convert files. I'm listening to Prodigy as an MP3 right now, and it sounds as good as the FLACs (I need to do some comparisons of the exact same track at different bit rates), so I will convert a few albums into MP3 with my the Dolby Headphone DSP and see if I like that more.

Normally I listen to my Senns at work, but I will listen to these as much as possible for the next few days so I can give an accurate appraisal of thier sound.

I'd really like it if others could recommend some songs or albums to listen to and some things to listen for. I've been listening to a lot of what I lump together as techno or electronic music today. I've just been in that mood, but I think I will be putting some Pink Floyd on the iPod when this album is over. I'm listening to Prodigy's Fat of the Land right now, and it is friggin' awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I want to hear the woman sing in Great Gig in the Sky now hehe

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #338 of 3,960
Yeah, I'm kind of afraid of them being lop-sided (in fit and aesthetics). It gets really annoying when one of them don't "plug" as well. And maybe quickly my ears will change shape a bit...who knows? outgrowing them is less likely I think.

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #339 of 3,960
Are you new owners planning on doing any kind of burn-in on these? It sounds like they do really well 'out of the box'; I'll be interested in hearing about how they are after 40-50 hours.

I'm also waiting to hear about the FreQ of Nature (2 driver) version... someone said they were ordering those.. I can't remember who.. it was too many pages ago .. LOL

I noticed from a previous post that showed a schematic of the UE-10's, and their drivers, that it looks like it's only a 2-way crossover.
Did anyone confirm if the FreQs are a true 3-way?

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #340 of 3,960
So when the revisions come out, do we send them back and wait for a replacement or what? I don't want to be a few months in and then have to mail it off...especially after a hassle of getting impressions. oh well, I guess it's worth it (as long as they announce a date).

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #341 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you new owners planning on doing any kind of burn-in on these? It sounds like they do really well 'out of the box'; I'll be interested in hearing about how they are after 40-50 hours.

I'm also waiting to hear about the FreQ of Nature (2 driver) version... someone said they were ordering those.. I can't remember who.. it was too many pages ago .. LOL

I noticed from a previous post that showed a schematic of the UE-10's, and their drivers, that it looks like it's only a 2-way crossover.

I don't want to start a debate on burn-in, but I don't plan to do anything special other then listen to them a lot
biggrin.gif

It's not really based on any kinda of scientific evidence, but I don't think armature drives can burn-in like a traditional driver.

I'm not sure about the crossover in the SuperFreQs. I know one difference between the lover line and the maker line is a better crossover. I don't know if that means they are really 3-way speakers or if it's 2 way with dual driver for one of the ranges.

I just look another look and I don't see any crossover inside. There is also only one set of wires leading to the double driver. So either the larger driver also contains the crossover, or they're just using some sort of high pass and loss pas passive filter built into each armature.

I am sure you could get an answer from the FreQ. Send them an email. Let us know what they say
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

So when the revisions come out, do we send them back and wait for a replacement or what? I don't want to be a few months in and then have to mail it off...especially after a hassle of getting impressions. oh well, I guess it's worth it (as long as they announce a date).

I suspect we will have to do the whole process over again, but I really don't think we will have to be without headphone. You can't store impressions very long and then make new molds. The impressions shrink as they age. Within a couple months, they would not result in an IEM that doesn't fit well. So I think we will end up having to do a new set of impressions.

It looks like those of us who are early customers will be getting another pair of phones when they upgrade the cords. They haven't made any promises, but I've been told a couple times that it will likely happen.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #342 of 3,960
Quote:

Normally I listen to my Senns at work, but I will listen to these as much as possible for the next few days so I can give an accurate appraisal of thier sound.

Thanks much for the early impressions - please keep us posted
smily_headphones1.gif

Will

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #343 of 3,960
Quote:

I suspect we will have to do the whole process over again, but I really don't think we will have to be without headphone. You can't store impressions very long and then make new molds. The impressions shrink as they age. Within a couple months, they would not result in an IEM that doesn't fit well. So I think we will end up having to do a new set of impressions.

It looks like those of us who are early customers will be getting another pair of phones when they upgrade the cords. They haven't made any promises, but I've been told a couple times that it will likely happen.

If you read the whole UE11 thread, you will see that the UE11's are indeed awesome, but you will also hear that most feel the price is indeed steep (myself included), which is after all not surprising given that the UE10 and UE11 are really aimed at professionals who would not think twice about spending $1000 on one of these. For us mere mortals, a $1000 is a lot of money, plus there is ZERO re-sale value on any/all of these custom IEM's!. Anyhow, the pricing of the UE10/UE11 works due to simple Economics: they were early in this market segment, there is no other "serious" competition to them, they have a good/great products, the have the brand recognition, etc.. Basic Economics 101: if you still have much demand, you can increase prices until the supply/demand equalizes (or close to it!).

Livewires and FreQs are bringing more competition to this market segment, and FreQs are being very aggressive in their pricing strategy, which is critical since they have to entice folks to try their product. If their product is indeed good, they can later on adjust their pricing to match the demands, improvements, changes to their lineup, etc.. This is basic Marketing 101 and the folks at FreQ are playing their cards properly so far.

If the folks from FreQ deliver in these promises of refitting the original owners with the detachable cords, that would be outstanding for them. If they promise this now, and later can't/won't deliver, they are toast -> they have "one" chance to get the attention of "us" buyers for this market segment. I hope they will deliver
wink.gif

Will

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #344 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_B /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes the ue-10 is only a 2 way and yes I confirmed from Freq that thiers has a 3 way crossover.

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #345 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the folks from FreQ deliver in these promises of refitting the original owners with the detachable cords, that would be outstanding for them. If they promise this now, and later can't/won't deliver, they are toast -> they have "one" chance to get the attention of "us" buyers for this market segment. I hope they will deliver
wink.gif

Let's be clear on this. The FreQ has never said or implied they would be giving us an upgrade to detachable cables. That will be a feature of their music makers line. They said they are planning to switch to a braided cable, but it still won't be detachable. That is the upgrade they are suggesting most of us can expect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back