The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
May 29, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #3,931 of 3,960
I wrote to Fisher Audio and nobody replied to my email (maybe it's due to me being based in the UK - hopefully it's just a lost email).

One of the crossover wires has disconnected inside the left earpiece, so I've stopped using them. Need to get them repaired but I'm snookered really...

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #3,934 of 3,960
Hey All FreqShow owners.

Please let me know a few things if you can. I am trying to see if the FreqShow that I got is in fact much different from the rest of yours.

My impedance: 9.6 ohms per channel (checked with an HP E2377A DMM with cable on - for simplicity just do the same)

My Tweeter/Mids: Knowles TWFK Series

My Woofer: Knowles CI series 22955

These seem to be the same Drivers in the Westone ES3X.

This would explain the major difference I have heard from what other people have posted.

If someone can confirm the parts numbers of the drivers as well as their impedance, I would appreciate it.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #3,935 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey All FreqShow owners.

Please let me know a few things if you can. I am trying to see if the FreqShow that I got is in fact much different from the rest of yours.

My impedance: 9.6 ohms per channel (checked with an HP E2377A DMM with cable on - for simplicity just do the same)

My Tweeter/Mids: Knowles TWFK Series

My Woofer: Knowles CI series 22955

These seem to be the same Drivers in the Westone ES3X.

This would explain the major difference I have heard from what other people have posted.

If someone can confirm the parts numbers of the drivers as well as their impedance, I would appreciate it.

Did you mean ES3X or ES3?

I will check mine out, because as you know my Freq Show MM from May 2008 don't perform nearly as well as my other customs (Livewires, SE530 in custom shell, and ES3X) unless I EQ them.

There is no way my Freq Show have the same drivers as my ES3X - there is a HUGE gap in performance between these two IEM.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #3,936 of 3,960
The ES3X

Here is some hi-res Westone pics borrowed from another thread.

Here confirms the Knowles CI 22955
Edwood_WestoneES3X_04.jpg

There are a few other pics showing the number, but this is the most clear. Notice teh Knowles "k" symbol on teh top left corner.

These pics show the TWFK (not confirmed, but the most likely canidate).

Edwood_WestoneES3X_05.jpg

IMG_3168gg.jpg

The dual driver in the FreqShow is the Knowles TWFK.

That is the most likely canidate in the Westone is the same driver.

Perhaps a custom version was made, but based on size and design it seems to be based off of the TWFK.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #3,937 of 3,960
yikes too bad mine's not clear...

but could they just change the drivers suddenly from when Germ did it and us who did them in May?

Germ, yours wasn't much earlier IIR?

Jun 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #3,938 of 3,960
yikes too bad mine's not clear...

but could they just change the drivers suddenly from when Germ did it and us who did them in May?

Germ, yours wasn't much earlier IIR?

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #3,942 of 3,960
Germania got #1, and I am starting to think she got a "ringer" to sound better than what everyone else was sold.

However, I cannot confirm my driver model numbers because although my Freq Show MM are clear, they are just hazy enough to prevent finding any numbers or letters on the internal drivers, despite reading glasses combined with magnifying lense and a bright light. My S/N LG051608 is a combo of my initials and date of manufacture, which was only 2.5 weeks after Germania.

My Freq Show are rolled off in the highs like an FM Radio vs my Livewires or ES3X, and no amount of EQ makes them sound as good as my other customs. When compared to my better customs, the Freq bass is muddy in the midbass, and I have to remove 3-4dB between 250-1000Hz to get the vocals out of my skull. And if I try to EQ in some additional treble at 16K with iTunes then I only hear the results lower down and get sibilance.

EDIT - some amps can EQ via sound signature and drive the Freq Show better, like the Pico and XM5, but it is far from "fixed" and others make it worse. It really does need a P-S adapter or 75 ohm switch to make them more useable.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #3,943 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Germania got #1, and I am starting to think she got a "ringer" to sound better than what everyone else was sold.

However, I cannot confirm my driver model numbers because although my Freq Show MM are clear, they are just hazy enough to prevent finding any numbers or letters on the internal drivers, despite reading glasses combined with magnifying lense and a bright light. My S/N LG051608 is a combo of my initials and date of manufacture, which was only 2.5 weeks after Germania.

My Freq Show are rolled off in the highs like an FM Radio vs my Livewires or ES3X, and no amount of EQ makes them sound as good as my other customs. When compared to my better customs, the Freq bass is muddy in the midbass, and I have to remove 3-4dB between 250-1000Hz to get the vocals out of my skull. And if I try to EQ in some additional treble at 16K with iTunes then I only hear the results lower down and get sibilance.

EDIT - some amps can EQ via sound signature and drive the Freq Show better, like the Pico and XM5, but it is far from "fixed" and others make it worse. It really does need a P-S adapter or 75 ohm switch to make them more useable.

You are probably on to something about Germania's FreQs. My Freqs have the same roll off you describe and are clearly inferior to every other custom I own (Sleek, C3, ES3X).

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3,945 of 3,960
There is only the CI 22955. The Knowles "k" symbol can be deceptive.
You will only see the number "22955" right after the Knowles symbol.

If you see line and a triangle together, that is the Knowles symbol.

If someone with a set of Westone ES3X could confirm their dual driver for sure, it would be appreciated.

If it does turn out that the drivers are the exact same, then the trick must be in the quality of the crossover.

Personally, I listen to a bunch of acoustic, alternative, classical, and opera. I prefer treble to bass and my set seems to be pretty neutral. Of course, I wish they were airier but we cant have everything.

If this is the case, I wouldn't mind buying a few balanced armatures and DIYing my own customs. I made some custom tips for my Dads FS1's using a rapid prototyping plastic. I can make molds and have access to smd parts. Crap.... more ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my dual driver is the same as Germania's. As for my bass driver, I'm sure my SuperFreQs have 2955, not sure about my shows.

What's the difference between 2955 and 22955?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back