The FreQ Custom IEMs - Impressions Thread (Updates on First Page!)
May 6, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #1,486 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMBrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question:

if one were to purchase the FreqShow but get the Music Lover's crossover (I have ZERO desire to carry an amp), would the only difference between them and the SuperFreq be the detachable cable? $110 seems like a pretty hefty premium for the ability to detach a cable...

The differences would be detachable cables, shielded wires, and braided cord. The reason it costs more is that making the connector for the cable takes a lot more time.

If you were to get the SuperFreQ with braided cord, it would be $240 + 20 = $260, which would only be a $90 difference.

May 6, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #1,487 of 3,960
Quick and simple question: does any model of the FreQ's sound very very close to a Grado?

If not, I'm reverting back to Livewires.
wink.gif

May 6, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #1,488 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The differences would be detachable cables, shielded wires, and braided cord. The reason it costs more is that making the connector for the cable takes a lot more time.

If you were to get the SuperFreQ with braided cord, it would be $240 + 20 = $260, which would only be a $90 difference.

Thank you. I would definitely get the upgraded cable, so I will update my question:

is the detachable cable worth $90?

May 6, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #1,489 of 3,960
Quote:

Thank you. I would definitely get the upgraded cable, so I will update my question:

is the detachable cable worth $90?

Holy crap, $90?
eek.gif

And here I thought the Etymotic P-to-S cable was overpriced....

May 6, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #1,490 of 3,960
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap, $90?
eek.gif

But it comes with "detachable technology"!!!
rolleyes.gif

I don't know...I really don't see how that could possibly be worth an extra $90, but then again, I've never owned cans with detachable cables, so perhaps I'm missing something.

May 6, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #1,491 of 3,960
Quote:

But it comes with "detachable technology"!!!
rolleyes.gif

I don't know...I really don't see how that could possibly be worth an extra $90, but then again, I've never owned cans with detachable cables, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Sleek cable: $25

Ultimate Ears: $20

I too don't get why they're (FreQ) charging such a premium price.
confused.gif

May 6, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #1,492 of 3,960
Quote:

confused.gif

Maybe they cost more to make?

May 6, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #1,493 of 3,960
Quote:

confused.gif

Are you comparing the replaceable cable prices or the cost of the capability of a detachable cable?

If it's the former, then it's probably more fair to compare the prices of the custom Westone/UE cables ($30-40) as those are the same material and design (braided). Even then, the Westone/UE customs all have detachable cabling, which might have already been factored into high prices of these customs.

If it's the latter, well, it's still not really a fair comparison because the Sleek Audio and UE earphones only have one version that allows for detachable cabling.

On that note, how much does TheFreQ charge for replacement cables?

May 6, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #1,494 of 3,960
It's pretty funny, when the SuperFreQ's first came out the loudest groan was from those who thought it practically criminal that the cable wasn't detachable.

In addition to the cable change, and the detachable connection, they have done a lot of work on the crossover. Now, only your wallet can decide if that's worth the extra $$. Me, I'm happy with my pre-price increase Super FreQ's :)

May 6, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #1,495 of 3,960
could someone explain on the personlizing options for the freqs?

Quote:

We do offer additional customizations that are not included for the standard sales price. For $12 extra dollars you would be able to get things like; special colors, patterns, nicknames, sayings, gift ideas, team colors, logos and slogans. Just to name a few. In the event you are interested in personalizing your FreQ even more, make sure to mention the details during the checkout process. You may also wish to speak with a FreQ agent and they can assist you with any question that you may have.
Additional chargeable options:

* FreQ Predefined Artwork - $25 (one color) $10 additional per color max of 4

* Customer Supplied Artwork - $30 (one color) $10 additional per color max of 4 – Artwork must be sent to The FreQ via email for approval.

so many options but 12/25 dollar options sound the same to me and I can't find these freq predefined artwork.

are these for both sides or each side?

May 6, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #1,496 of 3,960
Quote:

Holy crap, $90?
eek.gif

I don't understand the comparison you're trying to make. The detachable cable technology isn't an adapter. When they make your FreQ with the connector for the detachable cable, they have to precisely put in two gold plated hole connectors for the cord. This takes more time.

Even if it didn't take more time, it would make sense to charge $90 more for the convenience of having a detachable cable. Why would any company just charge people what it costs them to make something? The convenience of having detachable cables on a $260 IEM is worth the extra $90. Besides, the Music Maker line is targeted towards musicians. I'm not sure what we have to complain about.

Say the detachable cable technology cost $150, it would still be cheaper than any custom triple driver custom out there by at at least $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back