The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Nov 9, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #587 of 787
I ended up going to a previous version of Super Audio CD decoder. Now it works fine again.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #588 of 787
I ended up going to a previous version of Super Audio CD decoder. Now it works fine again.
I found the same thing. I was juggling around with FB and SACD plugins for a while. I'm sure that 1.1.0 is meant for the 1.4 version of FB2K. There were some other things I liked to add, which only worked if I advanced the FB version. As long as it works for you, that's good.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #589 of 787
Ok, so I've used Foobar since Jesus was a little boy and have used the in_SACD plugin for several years without a problem. All of a sudden, my DACs all refuse to play in DSD mode.

Tried two computers with Foobar 1.4 and 1.4.1, In_SACD 1.10, WASAPI 3.3. I don't even think I'd upgraded anything since it worked last. Three different DACs, so I think it's software rather than hardware.

Perhaps I've changed a buffer setting someplace, in which case I need reminding of anything in the Output or Advanced sections that are finicky for DSD playback.

I'm using the Windows native class-II USB audio driver, so maybe Windows did an update that broke it lately (I've run version 1803 since maybe May).
I've also noticed that the SourceForge page for the SACD plugin now has an older file, not the usual in_SACD package. What's up there now is older than In-SACD 1.10. So, has something broken? I can't find evidence of anyone else having this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #590 of 787
Ok, so I've used Foobar since Jesus was a little boy and have used the in_SACD plugin for several years without a problem. All of a sudden, my DACs all refuse to play in DSD mode.

Tried two computers with Foobar 1.4 and 1.4.1, In_SACD 1.10, WASAPI 3.3. I don't even think I'd upgraded anything since it worked last. Three different DACs, so I think it's software rather than hardware.

Perhaps I've changed a buffer setting someplace, in which case I need reminding of anything in the Output or Advanced sections that are finicky for DSD playback.

I'm using the Windows native class-II USB audio driver, so maybe Windows did an update that broke it lately (I've run version 1803 since maybe May).
I've also noticed that the SourceForge page for the SACD plugin now has an older file, not the usual in_SACD package. What's up there now is older than In-SACD 1.10. So, has something broken? I can't find evidence of anyone else having this problem.

Thanks in advance.
It's still working for me. I don't remember, but did you try asio over wasapi?

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #591 of 787
It just occurred to me what I had changed: adding in the graphic equalizer DSP plugin to cope with my HD800s. That was the culprit. I tried lowering the overall volume in the EQ in case it was a clipping issue, but no joy. Anybody have a workaround, or does ASIO not have the issue with the DSP plugin and in_SACD?
I can obviously switch to PCM mode when using the HD800s, but would hope for something else. It's not that DSD is very important at all, but downsampling always sounds worse than whatever the original format was.
Man, you talk about scary: the TEAC UD-501 has relays or something that click mechanically whenever the sampling rate changes. Maybe it's switching from 44.1 to 48kHz clocks. Whatever it is, it was clicking rapidfire for as long as I cared to let it attempt to play DSD while that EQ plugin was in the chain. No way it could have survived much more of that, judging from the sound it was making.
Also, while we're on yet another thread together Governor Long, have you found any parametric EQ plugins that are accessible with screen readers? I've never come across a VST or AU plugin that presented standard UI elements to a screen reader on Mac or PC. Or do you just put on a different pair of cans?

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #594 of 787
Is there a way to save the layout so that I don't have to set everything from scratch every time my computer crashes and Foobar resets to defaults?
Is there a way to save the layout so that I don't have to set everything from scratch every time my computer crashes and Foobar resets to defaults?
Sure is. Assuming you installed Foobar with default options rather than "portable" install, then go to your user folder > appdata > roaming > foobar2000 and make a copy of the "configuration" folder. That will back up just about all your settings. To get more fine-grained, make backup copies of the relevant files in that folder. Core.cfg contains most of it, such as DSP chain and current output device. I seem to recall a separate UI cfg file that would contain layout.

For many years, users like me have relied on writing simple batch files to swap files in this directory in and out to act as different preference profiles.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #595 of 787
Sure is. Assuming you installed Foobar with default options rather than "portable" install, then go to your user folder > appdata > roaming > foobar2000 and make a copy of the "configuration" folder. That will back up just about all your settings. To get more fine-grained, make backup copies of the relevant files in that folder. Core.cfg contains most of it, such as DSP chain and current output device. I seem to recall a separate UI cfg file that would contain layout.

For many years, users like me have relied on writing simple batch files to swap files in this directory in and out to act as different preference profiles.
Thank you! I just backed up the whole folder.

Nov 16, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #596 of 787
Thank you! I just backed up the whole folder.
If that doesn't do it, I just noticed the "theme.fth" file in the C:\users\[yourname]\appdata\roaming\foobar2000 folder that might contain much of what you're looking for. The UI config file is foo_ui_std.dll.cfg, looks like. I suggest messing with your layout, restoring your backup files, and seeing if you've caught the right files.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #597 of 787

Thanks; I never even thought of doing that.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #598 of 787

Other users though have been using the foo_jesus component which backs up all the relevant files and maintains a configurable number of backup copies, all neatly zipped for minimum footprint....

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #599 of 787
Other users though have been using the foo_jesus component which backs up all the relevant files and maintains a configurable number of backup copies, all neatly zipped for minimum footprint....
Oh yeah! I used this several years ago, but forgot the name and couldn't turn anything up on Google when I searched recently. I stopped using this for some reason, but will look at it again.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #600 of 787
Woe, so the simplest answer to HiFiRebel's question is actually already built into Foobar, turns out. The "secret" file menu has a Save Configuration option. If you're not familiar with the secret menus, shift+alt+f brings up the file menu (the same with "p" brings up the secret playback menu with output device options). I think control-click works, too. But does anybody know where Foobar actually puts the saved config? I'm not finding it. Just curious, since I also have Foo_Jesus going as of 10 minutes ago...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back