The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Jun 8, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #421 of 787
With the DSD processor which is part of the recent versions of the SACD plugin I can set conversion of PCM signals up to DSD128. The higher settings don't work. The DAC confirms that it receives DSD128.
Have you, or has anyone noticed a small delay when listening to DSD when the track starts? I usually lose the first few notes on the first track when starting FB. I'm using Hugo andSACD version 1.0.5.

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #422 of 787
Yes. That happens too with my DAC (T+A DAC8 DSD), when playing DSD.

I've read somewhere else that this is a Foobar2000 issue. The player switches to DSD output only when playback starts, and then the DAC switches to DSD input. With files where the music starts without delay, a second of music gets lost at the start. It's annoying.

Even when pausing, skipping tracks or fast forwarding in Foobar2000, the output signal switches to PCM, but that can be avoided of course.

I would have changed to other players (HQplayer) for DSD playback, but all my SACD rips are in ISO format (I don't want to convert them to DSD files, as I have a large collection) and AFAIK only Foobar2000 supports SACD ISO and DSD output.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #423 of 787
Yes. That happens too with my DAC (T+A DAC8 DSD), when playing DSD.

I've read somewhere else that this is a Foobar2000 issue. The player switches to DSD output only when playback starts, and then the DAC switches to DSD input. With files where the music starts without delay, a second of music gets lost at the start. It's annoying.

Even when pausing, skipping tracks or fast forwarding in Foobar2000, the output signal switches to PCM, but that can be avoided of course.

I would have changed to other players (HQplayer) for DSD playback, but all my SACD rips are in ISO format (I don't want to convert them to DSD files, as I have a large collection) and AFAIK only Foobar2000 supports SACD ISO and DSD output.
That's good to know where the problem lies. I thought it might have been due to Rob Watts' preferences in designing the Hugo; I don't believe he's a big fan of DSD. Frankly, I like the sound of my DSD files, and I get tired of reading a lot of neh-sayers who are just sniping DSD to promote their specific prejudices and flogging various products. The Schiit Loki comes to mind. Naming a product for a format they didn't care much for, after the worst norst god. Sorry, I'm done now. Just would be cool if FB comes out with a workaround for this.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #424 of 787
Maybe DACs which can switch from PCM to DSD without any delay don't have this problem with Foobar2000 and DSD.

My T+A DAC8 DSD has two seperate DACs inside for PCM and DSD, so it's inevitable that there is a certain delay when the input signal changes between PCM and DSD.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #425 of 787
Is it not possible to play a 24/96 audio file as DSD? All my 16/44.1 play fine at both DSD512 & DSD256. When I try to play a 24/96 file it says 9600 not supported. DAC is Matrix X-Saber Pro.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #426 of 787
Is it not possible to play a 24/96 audio file as DSD? All my 16/44.1 play fine at both DSD512 & DSD256. When I try to play a 24/96 file it says 9600 not supported. DAC is Matrix X-Saber Pro.
Would you have a 24/88.2 file to try? And have you tried a 24/192 file? I just wondered if it had something to do with files that are non-multiples of 44.1. Just a thought.

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #427 of 787
Would you have a 24/88.2 file to try? And have you tried a 24/192 file? I just wondered if it had something to do with files that are non-multiples of 44.1. Just a thought.

It's only the X-Saber that will not play 24/96 as DSD. When I swap in the X-20 it plays everything perfectly in DSD. I believe I've tried every possible setting, but it will not play a 24/96 as DSD.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #428 of 787
I have a new question. I have a DSF album with an included cue file. Is there a program to break up the file into its individual tracks without converting it to a PCM format? It's easy to break up flac etc with FB2K's 'quick convert' function. But I wish to avoid converting DSD to PCM if it can be helped.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #431 of 787
Thanks once again, @Pleasant Sounds. I'll look it up. You've been a great help to me in the past.
I tell him, extortion, control of the information, propaganda... those are the good tools to benefit from people in need. altruism has very little economical or even social value, and yet he keeps on reading help topics and trying to answer questions when he can. he's been a constant disappointment for all aspiring dictators around the world.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #432 of 787
I tell him, extortion, control of the information, propaganda... those are the good tools to benefit from people in need. altruism has very little economical or even social value, and yet he keeps on reading help topics and trying to answer questions when he can. he's been a constant disappointment for all aspiring dictators around the world.

At least I'm not alone :beerchug:

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #433 of 787
What the best way to split dff files? Foobar is reading the albums a full blocks and not splitting.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #434 of 787
Hi guys I am really sorry but I have tried for days to get this working. I have a oppo ha-1 and I want to be able to play dsd 256 files on foobar, I followed the guides mentioned earlier but I must be missing something or I am just a idiot (entirely possible) it just says Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 705600 Hz not supported by this device followed by No installed FIR, continue with the default
Would it be possible for one of you amazing people to rar your foobar that is working with dsd256 and upload it and I can try that ?

Thanks

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #435 of 787
Hi guys I am really sorry but I have tried for days to get this working. I have a oppo ha-1 and I want to be able to play dsd 256 files on foobar, I followed the guides mentioned earlier but I must be missing something or I am just a idiot (entirely possible) it just says Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 705600 Hz not supported by this device followed by No installed FIR, continue with the default
Would it be possible for one of you amazing people to rar your foobar that is working with dsd256 and upload it and I can try that ?

Thanks
I tried to .rar my version, but could only get it down to 8MB using best compression. I'm afraid you'll have to wait for someone greater to come on and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back