The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Nov 25, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #391 of 787

wasapi push or event depends on the DAC but if both work, chances are they will give the same result. and if one creates problems or doesn't work at all, then you've got your answer ^_^ .
KS is kernel streaming, another "bit perfect" solution like wasapi. again if it works without trouble, then it probably also gives the same kind of quality, usually people pick one at random or because the rest doesn't work on their specific system.
direct sound while still usually audibly fine, will often measure a little below bit perfect solutions in exclusive mode. but depending on your usage, having a mixer can really simplify things(fidelity vs convenience).
now to know for sure, I would very very strongly advise against believing posts like mine about what is the best ^_^. to check measurements, just get yourself a cable to go from your DAC to your soundcard's input (if it's not too crappy), and use the free RMAA to check the different solutions. it will take you an evening to test plenty of settings and know for good if something goes wrong. I've done that myself not too long ago when I was testing the recording side of my loop with various settings and usb configurations. but the idea is the same as long as the input isn't too bad to measure anything but itself.

or if you go all subjective about this, just try and pick whatever feels right to you for whatever reason you have. your system, your sound.

Thanks for the advice - good thing it's the start of the weekend!
wink.gif

I did see that quite a few of the options crashed when trying to use the Bluetooth path which helps narrow things down, but the USB path seems to be pretty robust.  Glad I'm into a hobby that's so cut and dry for options!
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #392 of 787
If you're on Windows 10, I suggest using DSD: WASAPI (event). Push mode is also fine. Kernel streaming is something used on older Windows versions, while WASAPI is the latest, supported way of making a direct audio path from software to device, without passing through some form of mixing or sample rate conversion software layer. This makes sure that your DAC receives a bit perfect stream. With normal PCM audio, such as flac files, a bit perfect stream is something to aim for, but it is not essential for playback. On the other hand, when playing DSD, it IS essential, because the DSD stream is packed into a PCM stream. This is done so that it wasn't necessary to invent a new way for DSD delivery. Instead the normal PCM delivery path can be used. Only your DAC sees that the PCM stream in fact contains a DSD stream, and will decode DSD. However, when the PCM stream (or more precisely, DoP = DSDoverPCM stream) gets altered in any way by mixing or sample rate conversion, this no longer works, and you can't play back DSD.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #393 of 787
  If you're on Windows 10, I suggest using DSD: WASAPI (event). Push mode is also fine. Kernel streaming is something used on older Windows versions, while WASAPI is the latest, supported way of making a direct audio path from software to device, without passing through some form of mixing or sample rate conversion software layer. This makes sure that your DAC receives a bit perfect stream. With normal PCM audio, such as flac files, a bit perfect stream is something to aim for, but it is not essential for playback. On the other hand, when playing DSD, it IS essential, because the DSD stream is packed into a PCM stream. This is done so that it wasn't necessary to invent a new way for DSD delivery. Instead the normal PCM delivery path can be used. Only your DAC sees that the PCM stream in fact contains a DSD stream, and will decode DSD. However, when the PCM stream (or more precisely, DoP = DSDoverPCM stream) gets altered in any way by mixing or sample rate conversion, this no longer works, and you can't play back DSD.

Thanks for the advice.  I'm running Win7 Pro and have settled on DSD:WASPI because it seemed like the cleanest path by description.  It was hard for me to tell much difference acoustically.  I tried running RMAA over the weekend and it worked with one setting (MME:x - I'm at work so can't look up exactly what it said) and it wouldn't work with others that I thought were more direct-stream-ish.  The MME (not finding what MME stood for) selections seemed to be more like the DirectSound settings - more generic and maybe reduced quality but more inclined to work.

That's good to know about playing DSD material.  I've looked into getting a couple albums to try but hadn't taken the plunge yet because I had a feeling I would run into problems.  It's still worth trying though so maybe I'll play around some more in the upcoming weeks.  Thanks!

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #394 of 787
On the other hand, when playing DSD, it IS essential, because the DSD stream is packed into a PCM stream. This is done so that it wasn't necessary to invent a new way for DSD delivery. Instead the normal PCM delivery path can be used.

This is only true for DSD over PCM (DoP). Not for "native" DSD stream (but nomenclature aside, a correctly decoded DoP stream is not any less "native")

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 30, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #397 of 787
Just downloaded my first DSD files - Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra from HDtracks.  Awesome detail!

Silly question - I know the .dsf files have embedded album artwork because mp3tag shows it.  However foobar doesn't.  Foobar shows all the artwork in all my other FLACs and MP3s so is there a switch somewhere in the configuration I didn't throw?

Thanks in advance,
-Scott

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #398 of 787
Hello there guys,
I'm very newbe to foobar.
I own Fiio X7 as an external DAC.
Can you please guide me (very preferably in algorithm - step by step from 0 to the last one) how to make it play DSD?
I do not know which version I need to download, nothing about plugins, internal settings and so on.
Hope for your help!

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #399 of 787
How do you change the foobar playlists to read them as D drive and E drive? Current playlists are on C drive and D drive ( new comp with a smaller OS drive / SSD ) How do you edit the playlist file?

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #400 of 787
  Hello there guys,
I'm very newbe to foobar.
I own Fiio X7 as an external DAC.
Can you please guide me (very preferably in algorithm - step by step from 0 to the last one) how to make it play DSD?
I do not know which version I need to download, nothing about plugins, internal settings and so on.
Hope for your help!

1. Download and install foobar: http://www.foobar2000.org/download
2. Download and install the WASAPI output component: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi
3. Download and install the SACD input component: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/ This component can play SACD rips in .iso format, or separate DSD files in DSF or DFF format. It can either output in PCM mode or DSD mode. See next step.
4. Follow the instructions in the readme file of the SACD input component: https://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/sacddecoder/foo_input_sacd/readme.txt As you can read in point 4 of the readme, you need to set the output mode of foobar to DSD : WASAPI (event mode or push mode, doesn't really matter as far as I know) : YOURDAC. This is where the WASAPI output plugin is used for which you downloaded earlier. Obviously, also make sure to select DSD mode instead of PCM mode in the config panel of the SACD output component. This is also in the readme.
5. Make sure to enable the WASAPI exclusive mode in Windows. To do this, go to the Windows sound configuration window, go to Playback tab, select your DAC, click Properties, go to Advanced tab, and check the two boxes for exclusive mode. This will make sure that Windows will not mess with the audio stream going from foobar to the DAC, and perhaps making it impossible to decode. You need a bit perfect stream for DoP (= DSD over PCM) to work. Using this exclusive mode will prevent other programs from playing music while foobar is playing (or paused!), so don't expect YouTube to work at the same time anymore. You must stop the music in foobar in order to get any sound from other programs.
6. You might need to enable a certain setting, for example for USB2 mode, on your DAC as well. See its manual to find out whether this is required. I can't help you with this.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #403 of 787

Go to Preferences -> Media Library and edit the Music Folders list.

is there a way to just open those flv files and control+H D:\ to -> F:\ ?

oh sorry - I misunderstood your question. 

Unfortunately playlists are binary files, not text and editing them is much harder. You would need a binary file (or hex) editor. They are actually .fpl files, not .flv and are located in the %username%\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\playlists-v1.3 folder (note that the AppData folder is by default hidden). Google hex editor and you'll get plenty of choices, many of them free.

I haven't had a need to use a hex editor for years so can't tell you if you should expect any sort of search-and-replace functionality there, but it's not out of question. But always replace strings of the same length only.

Just make sure you have backup copies of these files as it's very easy to corrupt them.

EDIT: there's also a much safer way: you can export the playlist content as .m3u file (Utilities -> Save as Playlist) which you can edit with a notepad and then import to an empty playlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back