The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Aug 31, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #767 of 787
When I switch Foobar output to my DAC's Exclusive mode I get an error saying: "Unrecoverable error unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz 16 bit 2 channels (0x3)" why is this happening?
1. Has this ever worked?
2. What did you change?
3. Does it happen only with Foobar? It looks like Windows has broken some audio in the latest updates for Win 10.

Also, show some screenshots of your setup and the error, it might be easier to see what's going on.

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #768 of 787
1. Has this ever worked?
2. What did you change?
3. Does it happen only with Foobar? It looks like Windows has broken some audio in the latest updates for Win 10.

Also, show some screenshots of your setup and the error, it might be easier to see what's going on.
I use the non-exclusive version but noticed that there is an Exclusive version so I tried it to see what happened (nothing other than the error message). The only thing I changed was the Output device in Library, Configurations, Output, nothing else was changed at all. I only use Foobar and that is the whole extent of the error message.

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #769 of 787
I use the non-exclusive version but noticed that there is an Exclusive version so I tried it to see what happened (nothing other than the error message). The only thing I changed was the Output device in Library, Configurations, Output, nothing else was changed at all. I only use Foobar and that is the whole extent of the error message.
Sorry, no this has never worked, I only tried it recently.

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #770 of 787
Without seeing screenshots of your foobar2000 and soundcardd setup it's impossible to conclude anything.

Are you using onboard sound or an external DAC?

If onboard sound, you should go to sound settings and make sure you have allow applications exclusive use (or some similar verbiage) for your onboard sound card.

If you have an external DAC, does the maker have USB ASIO drivers available and have you installed them?

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #771 of 787
OK, am looking to see how to attach screenshot. External DAC Audiolab 8200CDQ. I believe that Audiolab don't have specific drivers and I did have ASIO drivers installed but am not sure at the moment after an update, what's the easiest way to tell? I'm new here and don't know how to attach images.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #772 of 787
Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    184.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #773 of 787
Screenshot attached.
Change in Foobar output format from 16-bit to 24-bit. It seems your DAC do not support 16-bit format for 44.1kHz. It is also better to keep it all the time at 24-bits, as high resolution music will be not degraded.

If you go to the Windows Sound Control Panel, supported sample rate combination (as reported by a DAC) are listed in the Advanced tab. You will see confirmation to what I am saying.

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #774 of 787
I have changed Foobar to 24 bits and it now works with the Exclusive mode. This DAC works up to (at least) 24 bit 96 kHz. Thanks for your help. Can you point me to an explanation of what the Exclusive mode is/does?

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #776 of 787
Audiolab 8300 does have ASIO drivers and has quite a superb USB DAC, perhaps the 8000 does as well. Unfortunately they seem to come only on the mini CD that comes with the device in the box, a few years ago I checked but I didn't find drivers on their site. Perhaps you can now.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #777 of 787
Audiolab 8300 does have ASIO drivers and has quite a superb USB DAC, perhaps the 8000 does as well. Unfortunately they seem to come only on the mini CD that comes with the device in the box, a few years ago I checked but I didn't find drivers on their site. Perhaps you can now.
Sorry, my DAC is an Audiolab 8200 CDQ and works to 96 kHz and 24 bits. It did not come with any drivers but use of ASIO4all was recommended. Since the instructions only went to Win 7 I'm wondering which I should use out of ASIO, WASAPI or none of them. The computer is only used for Foobar so there shouldn't be much in the way of other demands. Thanks for your reply.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #779 of 787
Asio4all isn’t actually asio. Asio is recommended because when someone makes a dedicated driver for his DAC, it will typically be an asio driver. The value in my opinion comes from it being a dedicated driver, so Asio4all being a generic solution has no benefit over wasapi.

Aug 31, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #780 of 787
Asio4all isn’t actually asio. Asio is recommended because when someone makes a dedicated driver for his DAC, it will typically be an asio driver. The value in my opinion comes from it being a dedicated driver, so Asio4all being a generic solution has no benefit over wasapi.
Thanks a lot for this, can you point me at any info on how best to use WASAPI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back